WH Smiths Manchester Gamecube

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by mr_fantazmo, Apr 30, 2004.

1. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, was in Wh smiths in manchester arndale today and noticed they were selling Gamecube - Zelda Windwaker package for £49.99. I know this only applies to people in Manc, but maybe it's worth checking your local store!

I thought about buying it and selling it on but i doubt i'd make much profit on it anyway!!

2. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    They had them in the Exeter (Devon) store as well. Took the box to the counter (as I've been thinking about getting a second box to leave attached to the projector) unfortunatly, thats all they had, the box! They'd sold out and hadn't taken down the display box. Back to plan 'A' and look for a S/H one.

Paul.

3. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    Hey there Paul, I live near Exeter aswell :smashin: . Anyway I was in there today and Game (can't remeber which store, Debenams or High Street) had a pre-owned Gamecube for £50 (I think it was), I don't know if there was anything else with it as I didn't take any notice, I just happened to see it there.
    Just incase you were interested ;)

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Tetlee,

Thanks, actually I never go into Game as they are usually poor value. This seems to be the case for their S/H games as mostly you can pick them up new at the same price. Not sure I would actually pay £50 for a S/H cube, the only reason I considered the one in Smiths was because of the bundle. I would have sold on the Zelda Game as sealed un-used and of course there would have been the Nintendo money off (share out) voucher booklet included as well.

Paul

5. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    Hi Paul,
    I know what you mean about Game, sometimes their S/H titles are only a fiver cheaper than the new ones, even on occasions the same price :eek: . I tend to pop in there though if I'm in town as sometimes there's a bargain or 2 lurking around, sometimes they have one copy of a S/H game up to £10 cheaper than all the others, I guess they make the odd mistake when pricing. There don't seem to be hardly any Gamecubes in Exeter now, eveyone seems to have abandoned 'em.
    Do you ever go up to Taunton? If so Gamestation up there often have some great deals on Cube packages. I bought mine from there before Christmas for £80 inc. MarioKart DD, Resi Evil, Zelda five game special edition disk, 2 controllers and memory card :D . I'll keep an eye out for you if you like, if I see any great deals up there I'll send you a PM and let you know :smashin:

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I might see if they have any in the Alty store. I know gamecube is dead but a few good games, worth having for £50

7. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    DEAD! not yet friend! it might be a bit of a wait but with Resident Evil 4 looking and sounding damn cool there's life in the 'ol cube yet:D
    I have to admit I only have MarioKart DD for my cube but it was worth the money for that game alone IMO :thumbsup:

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry its dead as dead can be. Hardly anyone stocking it these days. But your right there are a couple of decent titles worth £50

9. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In my local Tesco they have big boards at the top of the shelves with the console logos on them to show you where to find the games for your format and while the Gamecube board is still up there below it they have filled the shelves with extra PS2 games.:)
    Presumably they don't think there are any Gamecube owners left to become confused by this.:rolleyes:

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    There doesn't seem to be any 3rd pary development for it anymore either. I noticed the new hitman game, new burnout game and every other I have noticed won't be released on GC.

I am looking forward to Pikmin 2 and will probably buy a new one again for that game.

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Is it still expensive to develop for Nintendo or something? where are all the other games that the other 2 systems have?

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It was obvious it was going to happen as with the Dreamcast (Although that was a very good console at the time)

Nintendo would be better off trying to protect their dominance in the handheld market. Sony are worried about xbox and are expanding into the handheld realm to try and make up for the cash shortfall now and moving forward.

They reckon the PS3 will comfortably out sell the new xbox but the margin will be no where near what it was with the PS2.

Nintendo will have one more go I think and release another console but they know they are fighting a losing battle. They cant compete at this level anymore in fact the havent been able to for a long time (ie N64)

Its a two horse race from here chaps.

13. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    I have a feeling the problem is probably the fact that alot, if not most gamers have the Gamecube as a second console. I mean most people I know that own one also have either a PS2 or Xbox. I guess Nintendo are finding that the multi-format games are being bought on the other consoles so it isn't worth their investment, the reason I figure this is that IMO the PS2 and Xbox look alot more respectable out on display, where as the Gamecube (being small and light) is easy to put away out of site. For me at least it's the reason I would always buy a PS2 or Xbox version of a game rather than the Gamecube version, those consoles are set-up and ready to go!
    Maybe a strange opinion but maybe it has something to do with it:smoke:

14. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't also forget that the PS2 and Xbox can play both CDs and DVDs while the Gamecube can do neither. This may not matter those of us with all the equipment to do this already but if you are buying a child their first console then getting a CD and DVD player thrown in as well is especially attractive. All you need add is a TV with half decent stereo speakers.

Nintendo managed to see that they needed to move away from cartridges with the Gamecube but by making it purely a games machine it now has to stand or fall on those games and the lack of the unique software needed is beginning to show. I own all three consoles and noticed recently how few games I had brought for the Gamecube compared with the other consoles, about ten on the Gamecube but five times as many for the others.
    Some would say that Nintendo should do the same as Sega as far as home consoles are concerned and develop purely for the other systems but of course if they did this the Gamecube really would be doomed.:devil: