Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

WH Smith: BOGOF + Buy 2, Save £5

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Marc, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    WH Smith have a selection of titles BOGOF, a few nice ones in including Kill Bill Vol 1 and Passion Of The Christ.

They are also doing Buy 2 save £5 on chart titles that aren't in the BOGOF deal.

Also doing 2 for £60 on PS2 and XBOX games (including San Andreas and Halo 2)

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Hmm let me guess you've been in town today Marc haven't you? :laugh:

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    hehe i have indeed left the confines of my room for a change :p thought i'd let everyone know what i found :smashin:

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Too scary for me that :eek:

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    heh i know what you mean :rolleyes: but it was worth it today i think. i was half tempted to buy a few of them to put on my trade list but knowing my luck no one would want them and i'd end up lumbered with 2 copies of several dvd's. Was thinking Cypher, T3 and Welcome to the jungle would be decent trade items at least..

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    :thumbsdow :confused:

I can't believe that people still fall for this 'scam'!

You DON'T save £5, you end up paying £3 more* if you buy one CD ot £1 more* if you buy two.

I Went in Smith's Saturday just gone looking for Shania Twain Hits CD, only to find it was £12.99. Went to Tesco's and bought it for £9.77 and saved myself £3.22.

I was so mad about this that I went back to Smith's and called for the Manager to explain to him why he'd lost my custom and basically why their company is on the rocks and their 'promotions/scams' are wearing thin!

In front of quite a few shoppers too!

I'm gettin really peeved off with these offers (HMV are usually the worst) and now it's time to take action :mad:

'Buy Two Get £5 Off, 'BOGOF', 'Buy 1 Get The Second Half price', 'Buy 2 Get Third Three' etc etc...It's basically the same scam that these shops just rotate throughout the year.

I'm really dissapointed that they're still posted on these forums!

* Chart CD prices are hiked to 12.99 rather than the usual 9.99 or 10.99.
    I Guarantee you that Smith's will be selling most of the chart CDs back at this price when the offer ends.

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    they aren't always a scam. The Virgin and Game 5 for £30 deals were pretty good this time around, but i agree BOGOF deals are usually pretty false, i mean i've seen HMV selling a dvd for 9.99 one week and then 19.99 BOGOF the next week. That shouldn't be allowed. The Woolworths one isn't bad though, a lot of newer titles in their selection, and they haven't put the prices of the DVD's up at all. Actually interestingly enough, Game are selling the new Friends boxsets at £39.99 BOGOF when everywhere else is selling them for £19.99. I asked if i could price match and they said i could but i couldn't use the BOGOF deal and the price match, so that is definitely a con.

8. sollas001

sollas001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevo, just to say I had a good giggle - in fact I laughed out loud when I read you'd felt strongly enough to tell a store manager why they'd driven you to another shop.

Stores - bosses or bored minions on the counter don't seem to realise a lot of us have other outlets we can chose from - and usually much cheaper ones when we shop on the internet - for much of the recent releases, anyway. Make use of dvd price search, happyhunter and other search engines and that old chestnut - shop around. There are few bargains I haven't seen elsewhere or that don't come around again - often cheaper than before. Buyer beware - of scams and impulse buying. The market will eventually dictate who survives. I don't think I'll miss trawling busy City Centre streets for the odd low price. Don't forget B'busters and other ex-rentals - if you don't need a pristine collectors copy - what is 19.99 in Smiths can be 2.99 for 2 in BBs.
    Beware of Woolies/Big W/BBs scratched discs as some are held in cards behind the counter. Use dvdcompare.net and resist getting lesser EU versions with Bulgarian dialogue when you could have a Director's Commentary added (Alien Quadrilogy Region 1). And visit Forums like this and drag that inflated price down!

I don't feel as strongly as you did, Kevo, to me you were doing a favour to the shop - I'd have just smirked at the prices and gone to Cd-WOW on the net.

I would have travelled from Scotland to Manchester just to have seen you request the manager and seen their surprise that anyone would awaken them from the backrooms. Top man! :clap: :hiya: