WGR614v7 Router With Vista

J

jonathan2708

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a new Dell Inspiron laptop with Vista Home Basic to connect to Virgin Cable Broadband through the Netgear WGR614v7 wireless router. I'm running the Netgear setup wizard (via wired connection as instructed) and it gets right to the point where it tries to connect to the router login through IE but it can never connect. I've tried/tested the following :

1. Can successfully ping the router at 192.168.1.1 - Yes
2. Laptop has picked up an IP address of 192.168.1.3 - Yes
3. Laptop has all IP/DNS settings set to 'Obtain automatically ...' - Yes
4. Laptop can successfully find and connect to the routers SSID network through wireless networking, but still can't connect to the router login screen.
5. Disabled Vista Firewall - Yes.
6. Powered down and backup Modem -> Router -> PC. - Yes

6. Using a different laptop that has XP installed, I can immediately login to the router setup with no trouble at all.

So this is saying to me it is some Vista setup issue - can anybody help? Also, once I do get Vista talking to the router, is there much else I have to do to get onto Virgin Broadband - I'm a new broadband customer and have my PID ready but not sure when it will be needed.

Any help appreciated,

Jonathan

You will probably find that its default settings prevent configuration via wireless. Try a lan cable, or usb if it supports it, initially and you should be able to enable that factility, its likely on the security / wireless section. Make sure you add some level of security, Wep at least, hide the SSid and change its default name, to the wireless connection otherwise others will be able to alter your settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom