• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wetek Core

tredman

Distinguished Member
I thought this deserved a new thread as its a new box from wetek and a very different device to the wetek play.

Received my Core today and so far I'm very impressed. Kodi runs very well and netflix works in HD. The box itself is very well built and small - similar in size to a Roku.

Its pretty fast in android and in kodi, not as fast as my shield, but thats very quick.

PQ is superb, especially live TV in kodi (streamed from my wetek play). All in all its a very good box.

Cost £82 delivered, which is pretty decent for a box capable of 4k, very good kodi performance and good android apps (its google play certified so runs DRM apps too).

More details here:

WeTek - Wetek Core

tredman

Distinguished Member
It's an s-812 according to the specs. I'm not really up on the newer processors etc, but it definitely runs Kodi and Android L quick enough.

bernado

Prominent Member
It's an s-812 according to the specs. I'm not really up on the newer processors etc, but it definitely runs Kodi and Android L quick enough.

Interested in this after a short unhappy Fire TV trial, where did you get it from? Don't suppose you've got any experience of running OpenVPN on it?

bernado

Prominent Member
What were you unhappy with?

Reliability, after two units faling in two days I gave it up as a bad job! To be fair they were Amazon refurbs which may account for that but even so.

The short time I did manage to play with it I could see it would frustrate me anyway, the parental controls were totally inept and lack of 4OD would mean I would have to hang on to my NowTV box when I'm really looking for a one stop shop. To cover my needs I'm currently running three devices hooked up to my telly - Now box for catchup, PC for Kodi and Youview box for Netflix!

JonMace

Prominent Member
OK so leave the PC running Kodi as it is and use a Roku stick for everything else. Then a nice harmony smart or Ultimate to run everything

bernado

Prominent Member
OK so leave the PC running Kodi as it is and use a Roku stick for everything else. Then a nice harmony smart or Ultimate to run everything

Yep thought about that as that would at least reduce the tech, however Roku DNS manual entry is no go, don't really want to globally do it via router

JonMace

Prominent Member
Alternative Idea

PC only + Flirc

F keys to open short cuts, and program them into flirc

Only problem is working out how to program an F key to close aps and return to desktop

tredman

Distinguished Member
Interested in this after a short unhappy Fire TV trial, where did you get it from? Don't suppose you've got any experience of running OpenVPN on it?
Yup openvpn should work, I'm using PIA and it works fine.

Got it from the wetek website.

bernado

Prominent Member
Alternative Idea

PC only + Flirc

F keys to open short cuts, and program them into flirc

Only problem is working out how to program an F key to close aps and return to desktop

Lol, if it were just for me I'm up for that but I can see that ending in tears for the rest of the family and then ultimately me!

Yup openvpn should work, I'm using PIA and it works fine.

Got it from the wetek website.

That sounds encouraging, do you have to manually run it on Core startup or does it start itself up? Edit: To answer my own question the Android OpenVPN client does have an auto restart option.

Have you tried running an external hard drive from USB for purpose of Kodi media library?

Last edited:

bernado

Prominent Member
Can anyone with one of these tell me how UK catchup channels and Neflix play on this box?
On Wetek's forum there are a few people with Neflix playback issues experiencing stuttering.

Thanks

Halium

Established Member
Well, i've got mine already and i've been testing it to it's limits hehehe

So far, i'm impressed
They've done a great job.
The only issue is still the network issues on the openelec, but it's still unofficial builds
But, i bought mine to use on Android since i want Neflix HD working.

Kodi delivers everything along side with some other good apps from playstore.
24p works like a charm and the support from wetek is one of the best i could find since the wetek play device

I'm still looking for a BT remote so i can test some games from playstore

Juiceloose

Established Member
Tredman,

Thanks for the link to the Core. Mine arrived yesterday and I connected it up last night. I use a VPN though (IPVanish) and it won't connect to the internet. If I disconnect from the IPVanish server and reconnect direct via my normal ISP it connects fine.

Do I need to change some settings on the Core or within KODI to get it to work via IPVanish ?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

tredman

Distinguished Member
Tredman,

Thanks for the link to the Core. Mine arrived yesterday and I connected it up last night. I use a VPN though (IPVanish) and it won't connect to the internet. If I disconnect from the IPVanish server and reconnect direct via my normal ISP it connects fine.

Do I need to change some settings on the Core or within KODI to get it to work via IPVanish ?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Not sure, I gave up using a vpn and am using getflix, it's more flexible. Can you try with openvpn app?

Halium

Established Member
This last update is awesome!

The dual boot works like a charm!

Well done Wetek

MasterChief117 said:
maxresdefault.jpg

We're proud to announce that we start seeding the OTA update of WeTek Core OS 1.1.2

FC9700_FF0751_F70_D1_D0274590_C13_BE4_A669462913_B47369.png

Changelog:

- Added dual boot. On WeTek Core splash screen press power key to boot from Internal storage or microSD card.<br/>

bootup_info1_16b_n.jpg

- The OTA should do it automatically but, in case it fails to perform this task, you will see a message: "Clearing U-Boot env at next boot" once the WeTek boots to Android. If at the next boot, the WeTek goes to recovery mode, please don't worry, just press "Reboot Now" on the already highlighted reboot entry to go back to Android/OpenELEC.
- Added WeTek Media Player v2 based on Kodi 16.0rc3 Jarvis build with fully working HD Audio passthrough (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master)
- Various fixes in Android and Kernel.

Best regards

Last edited:

JonMace

Prominent Member
Damn it have to give back the mini mac and no Cores available, so having to consider a shield, it basically for Kodi use in the bedroom, have a Flirk and a one for all remote - so the remote quality does not matter.

Any ideas?

tredman

Distinguished Member
Damn it have to give back the mini mac and no Cores available, so having to consider a shield, it basically for Kodi use in the bedroom, have a Flirk and a one for all remote - so the remote quality does not matter.

Any ideas?
Get a shield if you can stump up the extra cash. I really like my Core, but the shield is that much better.

That said if it's just Kodi and you will be using a flirc get a RPi (2 or 3)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom