Wet Room Ceiling Speaker Orientation

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by BournemouthBen, Apr 10, 2016.

?
  1. Down and Obscured

2. Up and Un-Obscured

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BournemouthBen

BournemouthBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to install a suspended ceiling in a wet room, with concealed embedded speakers.

The construction will be a small 1mx2m sheet of hardwood with a sheet of perspex or plastic laminate glued on.

I imagined the speakers would be best facing downwards, behind the perspex, with a large hole cut in the hardwood to rest in, and lots of small holes drilled in the perspex to let the sound through.
    Before I start building, it occurred to me it might be better to face the speakers upwards (or angled towards to the room corners) to bounce the sound off the ceiling, and then down around the edges of the suspended ceiling.

So what are the thoughts? Better to have the speakers facing down, but obscured by the perspex (with some holes drilled to form a grille), or facing up and un-obscured?

Thanks in advance!
    Ben

2. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Why not simply get a speaker built for marine/outdoor use and not worry about a convoluted installation?

3. BournemouthBen

BournemouthBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I should has added, I've got the Q Acoustics QI65CW, which are Weatherproof, so should be fine however I orientate them. I'm just wondering for sound quality, and for maximum discretion - would pointing them up and having no holes in the suspended ceiling be beneficial, or worse than pointing them down with holes drilled....

I'm probably over-thinking things.....seems to happen when trying to design these things....

4. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Yes, I believe you are overdoing it. Those speakers are specifically designed for installation facing down, mounted flush into a ceiling and needing no further treatment. Use them that way and just enjoy them. I'd venture a guess that long before they deteriorate your situation would change and so would the speakers, the room or the whole house.

5. BournemouthBen

BournemouthBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree, but I'd rather not have them flush mounted in the usual manner, but behind the perspex or laminate instead. So I'll need to drill holes in the plastic where the speakers are to form a sort of grille - is this likely to impede the sound quality at all?

Thanks,
    Ben

6. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Yes, I think so. I have nothing more to add as you seem determined to reinvent the wheel.

7. BournemouthBen

BournemouthBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just trying to conceal the speakers and be as discrete as possible - apologies if that seems unreasonable.

I must say, as the first interaction I've had on AVForums, your attitude is rather off-putting. I was hoping for a friendlier more helpful community, but I suppose I should look elsewhere.

Thanks anyway.
    Ben

8. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I'm sorry. I don't understand the objective then. I don't mean to be "off-putting." I just don't understand what is more discrete than a small color matched grille as opposed to a larger assembly of some labyrinth of Perspex or glossy plastic.

Try it both ways and see which you like better?

9. BournemouthBen

BournemouthBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe my description was insufficient - the glossy plastic / perspex is going to be there anyway, as a veneer for the hardwood construction, with lots of little holes for showerhead nozzles to poke through. The question is whether or not I should drill little holes for the speakers as well. I could flush mount them as usual, but would rather not see them at all, as you wont see the showerheads, so should be a nice finish.

Hope that helps clarify.

Cheers,
    Ben

10. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    This is in an actual shower? Consider that with polymer surfaces in such and environment there is always going to be the need to wipe down/clean the surface. This invariably results in a hazed (microscratched) finish that will look dull...at the very least.

For sound to make it through, it's all about percentage of area. The reason speaker grills are an open mesh is so they are as "acoustically transparent" as possible. Until you get to that point with the size and quantity of drilled holes, it's going to sound muffled. So I would have to say upfiring and a solid surface to reflect from is the way to go, as long as it's opaque to hide the back of the speaker.

I would still be a little concerned about moisture condensing and pooling in the speaker cone though.

Are we OK now?

11. BournemouthBen

BournemouthBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're good! Thanks for the explanation. It will indeed be an opaque finish, so speakers visibility shouldn't be a problem. The veneer is likely to be a "multipanel" thing, that is designed for wet environments, but looks like a glossy black stone, so hopefully the finish will last.

The reflective surface is a 6mm plasterboard false ceiling (sealed and finished in high gloss white), a 100mm cavity, and plaster, concrete, or whatever else makes up the ceiling (and upstairs floorboard) after that.

So, pointing up, and no extra holes seems the way to go! Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards,
    Ben