Westworld Season 3: The New World 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
The production values are great as expected from HBO, but I can't help but get serious Lost vibes from this show. It really feels like the writers have no idea where they're going, and they're just making it up as they go along. This latest series was so different to the previous two it felt barely related, perhaps because they had exhausted the whole Jurassic Park with cowboys theme, or perhaps because the writers were flailing.

Don't you mean the worst season?
Season 3 is all over the place. They just cranked up the action and special effects, and cranked down the iq.

Season 3 was a considerable step down from the previous two. The first season is easily the best and one of the best first seasons of any show. It's gone from being smartly written with real soul and asking lots of poignant questions to basically a cartoon with fighting robots.

Anthony Hopkins was a real standout performer in the first two seasons and he's really missed from season 3. Jeffrey Wright was completely wasted this season too.

Last edited:
Season 1 was the best then it was downhill fast from there.......

Sir Anthony Hopkins was the stand out performance of the first season. Similar to Sean Bean in the first and best season of Game Of Thrones.

Some shows never top the first season. Bosch, The Sopranos, The Wire, Dark are a few exceptions.

Last edited:
Very few shows top the first season. Bosch, Sopranos, The Wire are a couple of exceptions to the rule.

I genuinely can't think of any other show that had a better first season than Westworld. Maybe Lost? Breaking Bad? Game of Thrones? There's a little known shown called FlashForward (another JJ Abrams show) that had a solid first season as it wrapped everything up whilst leaving a big cliffhanger too, unfortunatley they cancelled it after just the one season.

Very few shows top the first season. Bosch, The Sopranos, The Wire are a few exceptions to the rule.
Wrong way round. Most shows top their first seasons, otherwise they would die pretty quickly.

What sometimes happens for some shows is that their first season is their best. New BSG might be in that category (although it would be hard to argue against Season 2 of that show). WestWorld might be another one of those. The 21st century tropes that became fashionable over the past half decade became very apparent by the end of season 1 which is probably why I haven't bothered with season 2.

Really enjoyed the third season, the scenes shot in my home town (Singapore) are really bizarre to see, however. I'd literally just been to Ion Mall before coming home and watching the episode where they are stood outside, if I remember correctly that was actually a scene set in LA, not even one actually set in the city.

I can't help but notice that the packaging you get with each new season is decreasing in quality. The third season's packaging is abysmal.

Season 3 was a considerable step down from the previous two. The first season is easily the best and one of the best first seasons of any show. It's gone from being smartly written with real soul and asking lots of poignant questions to basically a cartoon with fighting robots.

Anthony Hopkins was a real standout performer in the first two seasons and he's really missed from season 3. Jeffrey Wright was completely wasted this season too.

Mostly agree with this, Season 1 was one of my favourite seasons of television ever. Season 2 was a step down and the multiple timelines were just an annoyance in it. I was optimistic for Season 3 from the trailers and I applaud them for trying something very different but it just didn't do it for me overall and it really did miss Anthony Hopkins.

I'll probably check out Season 4 but I wil go in with low expectations.

I tried my best to get into this after the disappointing Season 2 but just couldn't. The writing seems to have got very poor since Season 1. I won't even bother with Season 4. Season 1 was pretty much perfect.

Cheers Cas.

However for me this quite simply isn't Westworld anymore. Moving away from the parks was a mistake in my opinion, and this season had more plotholes than a bust bucket.

I'm still in to see how it ends, but seeing as Nolan and Joy have (I believe) signed a deal with Amazon, I fully expect just one more season of this and that'll be it. Which will be fine by me now.

I liked this season, it looked terrific and I liked seeing the world outside the park and the consequences of technology in this world. However it seemed quite 'dumbed down' compared the first two, and less original. Very similar in tone, style and even plot to the Will Smith 'I, Robot'. I never for a minute felt like I didn't understand it, unlike the first two seasons where they really kept the viewer on the back foot at all times. It's still a good show, I enjoyed it a lot, but it just never got to the level of the first series. I will still be there for the next one though.

First 2 seasons were really good and then the third I couldn’t even get through. Completely changed what west world is all about and went to a place i hated. Each to their own but I can’t say this season was the best, maybe one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

I think all 3 series are just brilliant, some of the best television I've seen in many years, up there with The Wire in my favourite series list.
The acting is superb all round and it all looks gorgeous, very clever stuff.

I cancelled my UHD at 39.99 since Amazon apparently couldn’t deliver until next Saturday, although they are showing Thursday now. From what I’m reading here on balance I’ll just wait until it is nearer a tenner in HD on Prime.

Really want to watch this but S2 was such a drag. Got.to episode 2 and I've never wanted to give it another go

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom