Westworld Season 3: The New World 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Kingchin

Wrong way round. Most shows top their first seasons, otherwise they would die pretty quickly.

What sometimes happens for some shows is that their first season is their best. New BSG might be in that category (although it would be hard to argue against Season 2 of that show). WestWorld might be another one of those. The 21st century tropes that became fashionable over the past half decade became very apparent by the end of season 1 which is probably why I haven't bothered with season 2.
I was being a bit hasty saying most, but it's definitely not the other way around as you say. Probably in between would be a fairer better definition. Some very popular worldwide hit series like Lost, The Walking Dead, Game Of Thrones never topped their first season overall quality and enjoyment wise.

Another series True Detective while not a massive hit or that well known the first season was awesome. The second season crap and the third season while ok above average was trying too hard to be as good as the amazing first season.

The rebooted Battlestar Galactica is one of my favourite sci-fi series even though the last couple of seasons were a mixed bag. Season 1 was stellar and some parts episode's of season 2 (not all) were as good or better for me personally. The mini series that came before the reboot was also very good laying the foundations.

Although based on different source material You could tell in season 1 Westworld the producers etc had been inspired by parts of the earlier BSG reboot. Influenced from the whole who's a Cylon suspense in BSG, was still good season 1 Westworld but that similar scenario had already been done before and better in BSG.

Last edited:

groen

Westworld season 3 was great and I liked season 1 and 2 as well. It is by far the best TV series in recent years. Not much good is made these days. As for the people saying it is boring, they probably missed the deeper meaning in the whole series and just liked the cheap thrills from the first season.

I am busy watching the 4k season 3 at the moment. I watched it previously on 1080p.

Kingchin

Westworld season 3 was great and I liked season 1 and 2 as well. It is by far the best TV series in recent years.
I completely disagree personally. Plus the majority of tv critics ratings for season 2 and season 3 of Westworld have been average at best. Even hardcore Westworld fans are saying season 2 and 3 were poor a disappointment.

Much better series in recent years like Bosch, Dark. Also the quality doesn't drop off a cliff after the first season. It's consistent good quality throughout even surpassing the first season.

I was as hyped as the next person for Westworld but the first season was decent not great. Next two seasons were all over the place as if the producer's were just making it up as they went along.

groen

Yea I find that people that don't like season 2, never realy understood it or gave it any time. Many of them stopped watching after two episodes and wrote the whole season off.

Thing is many people enjoyed the elements from season 1 and were hoping for more of that in the other seasons but the story just didn't allow it.

In my opinion the story in Season 2 was amazing and it took me a second watch to truly understand what the hell was going on.

rustyk21

FWIW, I loved season 1 and 2. Season 3, pants. It literally fell off a cliff.
Are you suggesting that some people didn't like season 3 because of lack of bare flesh? That may well be the case for some.

For me, season 3 of westwood had some interesting story elements, but unless you're a fan of over the top generic action it's by far the weakest season. Plus, it made the mistake of thinking that just trying to be clever is enough. The whole premise of it is illogical.

Funny that someone else mentioned Dark, I was going to mention that too when you talk about good tv.

groen

FWIW, I loved season 1 and 2. Season 3, pants. It literally fell off a cliff.
Are you suggesting that some people didn't like season 3 because of lack of bare flesh? That may well be the case for some.

For me, season 3 of westwood had some interesting story elements, but unless you're a fan of over the top generic action it's by far the weakest season. Plus, it made the mistake of thinking that just trying to be clever is enough. The whole premise of it is illogical.

Funny that someone else mentioned Dark, I was going to mention that too when you talk about good tv.

No not just bare flesh, people liked the horse back riding and the gun slinging and the action. Season 3 was more about the robots entering the real world, only to discover that humans were no more free than they were in the park. The deep meaning of Westworld is that people sought cheap thrills to escape a world where they were no more free than the robots in the park. People that are after cheap thrills and easy viewing will enjoy Season 1 more because season 2 and 3 is more slow and about story telling rather than gun slinging and cheap thrills.

People would rather have a good time than see that they are not free themselves. :)

Dark season 1 was OK but season 2 was bad and even in hindsight, season 1 was very boring. Nothing realy happened. Hate those shows that never realy go anywhere, like Dark.

james morrison

At least Dark managed to finish the whole story without being cancelled which is rare nowadays, enjoyed all 3 seasons can't say the same for Westworld after seeing Season 3

groen

To be fair season 3 was weak compared to the first two seasons, especially certain parts of it but they concluded the story, which I liked.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom