1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westone UM2s canal phones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by probedb, Jul 20, 2005.

1. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Well after reading around Head-Fi forums for a while and not being happy with the total lack of bass on my Shure E2cs I was recommended these by numerous people. Quite costly but my God are they good! Lovely clear bass and everything else...noise isolation is even better than the Shures and they're just wonderful :D

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Yes, pricey they may be, but superb they are - to speak in Yodaish.
    I have a pair (have had for 3 months, almost) to review, and they are my reference model. Planning on getting ear impressions made, to get the custom tips.

3. GaryW

GaryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought these 2-way canal phones last week and I am well impressed (should be considering the £180 price!).

I first tried them with my girlfriends Rio Carbon and found that the Rio's body is not very well isolated and so I got some electical interference unless I pulled the jack out slightly (this is apparerntly a known problem with these type of phones and this player - apparently the first couple of generations of iPods were not well isloated either).

Anyway, moved on to my iRiver iHP40 and they were absolutely perfect. I spend 2.5 hours travelling on the train each day and with these on background noise is blocked out at volume level 6 - previously I was using some £30 Phillips noise cancelling phones (with cumbersome battery compartment) and needed to go to volume 20 to get a similar effect. And as for the quality then no comparison - you get real bass and treble wherever you are (unlike the Phillips!) - fantastic.

I also considered buying the Bose noise cancelling phones and gave them a quick go but even the restyled ones look too big to me and reviews that I have read actually find canal phones to be more effective for reducing noise levels and the UM2s definitely sound better than the Bose phones. Also you can't use the Bose ones if the battery dies - no battery required on my UM2s.

I'd also like to recommend earphonesolutions.com for excellent service and price (US import). The phones were with me within the week (incl. free airplane adapter and triple flange sleeves) and they answered my email queries re the problem I had with the Rio carbons within the day. Westone also got back to me pretty quickly as well with a reply.

So a big thumbs up to Westone and earphonesolutions.com