Westone UM2

dancemb

Established Member
Reaction score
I have this pair of headphones away in my drawer at the moment because I used up all of the foam inserts due to them eventually getting dirty.

Rather than keep buying more, are there any that dont require constant replacement? Maybe a gel insert for them or something like a custom fit insert?

At the moment I am using the Sony EX 82's that came with my MP3 player, which im sure the Westone earphone would be better at?

You could go for a custom fit, you would need to have impressions made and then send them to a relevant dealer for the custom earpieces to be made.

If I did go for a custom fit, what would the insert be made of, something that lasts a lifetime I would be hoping?

If so, where would I go to get these impressions made? Maybe someone who lives in London can help me with this who might have had the same thing done?

Im a complete amateue when it comes to something like this!

Here's a link to the product on the Westone site;
http://www.westone.com/index.php?load=content&page=index&page_id=192

You would have to have the impressions made by an Audiologist, just look them up in the phonebook - I also hear Boots can now do impressions (IIRC UE recommend open mouth impressions to the second bend).

Someone like Hand Held Audio in London may be able to help and could no doubt give you some good advice.

You can get custom tips made by ACS too. There's a link on their web for local places to get the impressions done.

I think that ACS sound like a good company to be going with.

I have found a supported outlet for them, specifically the hearing centre in Boots @ Bromley, but if I phoned them, what would I need to say to them exactly, as I have no clue and dont want to say the wrong thing to them and confuse them.

I need to basically have the whole process for this explained to me so im in the clear about how this all works :lease:

Just phone Boots and ask for the relevant department (Optician/Audiology Dept), inform them that you're interested in the ACS Custom Sleeves for the Westone UM2.

You'll probably have to explain that you'll need impressions made for the product if the staff are not familiar with the product - Once done you probably pop back in a couple of weeks to pick up your item.

Its worth looking at the new Shure black foam sleeves.I was in the same situation as you but my problem was the longevity of the Shure yellow foamies,only got a week out of each pair.I use the black foam sleeves now and they have solved the problem.Have had the same ones on now for 6 weeks and they have not lost their shape or isolation.They can be washed too with warm water and soap,which i do weekly.They are worth a look
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shpameblfosl.html

I think that ACS sound like a good company to be going with.

I have found a supported outlet for them, specifically the hearing centre in Boots @ Bromley, but if I phoned them, what would I need to say to them exactly, as I have no clue and dont want to say the wrong thing to them and confuse them.

I need to basically have the whole process for this explained to me so im in the clear about how this all works :lease:

The basic process is:
1. Make sure your ears are clean & wax free
2. The audiologist will check your ears first and will only proceeed if you have clean ears free of heavy wax build up (hence point 1). They use the standard lighted ear inspection thingy (lugholescope or whatever it's really called)
3. They then insert a small piece of cotton wool on string fairly deep into the ear to prevent the impression material going in too far.
4. Next they use a silicon sealant gun to fill the ear cavity and the outer ear - feels odd but not uncomfortable - and it gets very quiet. Takes about 5 to 10 mins to solidify. *** see notes below
5. The silicon is removed and the cotton wool normally comes out with it (the string is just a precaution)
6. You pay and they send the impressions off to ACS
7. ACS will make the opposite mould from the impression and using a UM2 jig create a custom sleeve in your desired style.
8. You'll either go back to the place where you had the moulds done or get ACS to send them direct to you.
9. First fit will be a bit tentative but you'll soon get used to them and if the fit is correct you'll wonder why people bother with universal ones at all!
10. Take your ipod/mp3 with you, play some test tracks to make sure the fit is good and the seal correct. **** see below

*** Some people recommend using a bite block to keep the mouth open slightly whilst the silicon sets. ACS suggest you think about how you will use the tips, do you normally go around listening with your mouth open or closed etc. Talk to the person taking the impression before starting, whichever you choose make sure you keep still until the mould is done. Some custom tips are hard acrylic, the ACS ones are a softer silicon, hence the differences in taking the moulds. I must admit the thought of the hard moulds worried me so made the ACS option preferable - that's just a personal preference I know a lot of people like the harder acrylic.

**** I'd suggest downloading the Sensa seal test tracks and trying them with your universal tips so you know what to expect when testing your new custom moulds.

Any questions just ask, I'll answer any I can.

Thankyou very much, that is exactly what I needed to know!

Im hoping that when I call the Boots audiologist department they will know what I am talking about, if they do then im sure from there it should be easy if all I have to do is have impressions made then wait a few weeks for them to get the custom sleeves back (Boots Bromley is listed hoorah!).

Will bravely give them a call later.

Here is to hoping that this will be worth the time and the £88 investment!

dancemb,

Please keep up updated on your progress with these sleeves.

Cheers :)

I phoned up one of the Outlets for these ACS custom sleeves, but they said they only support the custom sleeves for Shure E2, E3 & E5.

What im wondering is does my Westone UM2 use the same sleeves as the Shure range? If so would it be wise to phone them back and ask for one of these sleeves? If so, whats the best custom sleeves out of E2, E3 or E5?

I phoned up one of the Outlets for these ACS custom sleeves, but they said they only support the custom sleeves for Shure E2, E3 & E5.

What im wondering is does my Westone UM2 use the same sleeves as the Shure range? If so would it be wise to phone them back and ask for one of these sleeves? If so, whats the best custom sleeves out of E2, E3 or E5?

I had sleeves made by ACS for the Shure E500, and I'm almost positive that they already did them for the UMS. Best phone ACS direct as the agent only takes the impressions anyway.

The issue is not whether the the sleeves would fit the stems (which I think they do) but how the custom sleeve is moulded around the end where it meets the body of the earpiece of the iem. They need a jig of sorts so that the sleeve is shaped to your ear one end and matches the countours of the iem on the other end, as I say check with ACS they're a friendly bunch and don't bite.

On the other hand there is a new 'flavour of the month' for custom iems called 'livewires' going around head-fi which are around which may be of interest too.

Steve

With thanks to everyones help here, I phoned up the outlet store nearest to me, and after a conversation with ACS themselves they told me that yes, they will support the custom sleeves for my Westone UM2 earphones, but to do that I will have to hand over the earphones themselves at the time of getting the impressions made so that they can get the fit perfectly correct, then they will post the whole thing to me after all has been done.

I did feel a little worried as to what if etc about them going missing after spending so much money on them at the time, but im sure the outlet I am going to will be perfectly safe in sending them off, and that when they (eventually) come to me with the perfect custom made sleeves, I will be more than happy from that day forward...or am I expecting too much here?

With thanks to everyones help here, I phoned up the outlet store nearest to me, and after a conversation with ACS themselves they told me that yes, they will support the custom sleeves for my Westone UM2 earphones, but to do that I will have to hand over the earphones themselves at the time of getting the impressions made so that they can get the fit perfectly correct, then they will post the whole thing to me after all has been done.

I did feel a little worried as to what if etc about them going missing after spending so much money on them at the time, but im sure the outlet I am going to will be perfectly safe in sending them off, and that when they (eventually) come to me with the perfect custom made sleeves, I will be more than happy from that day forward...or am I expecting too much here?

I know exactly how you feel since they wanted my brand new (at the time) and very expensive Shure E500 iems to do the same. I declined on the basis that if they said they did them then they should arrange for a dummy pair from Shure or something similar rather than risking my new precious things.

OK I was probably more reticent as the Shure E500 had just come out and I'd had them shipped over from the states so they were not that easy to replace.

I'm sure the outlet and ACS will take care of, and responsibility for, the UM2 - though you will of course be without them for the duration.

Only good news is that at the beginning of the year they moved into bigger premises and are turning stuff around faster.

Steve

To be honest I have been without the UM2's for over 6 months now, because after I used all the foam buds that I had I did not want to have to keep buying more replacement ones all the time, so I just went back to my Sony earphones and waited for the day that I might find something better for them.

I just hope that they come back in one piece, and the sooner the better after the 17th September when I get the impressions done (Could have been sooner, but im not off on leave until then)

I will, of course, let everyone know how they are when I get them back again.

If I did go for a custom fit, what would the insert be made of, something that lasts a lifetime I would be hoping?
ACS uses 40 Shore Bioplast silicone. It is (apparently) medical grade and lasts for a very long time. The problem is your ear canal may have changed shape long before the silicone "erodes", hence requiring a new impression made. Andy (Managing Director of ACS) told me "product life on any custom ear product is around 4 years due to changes in users anatomy".

Good luck with your molds. They are immensely comfortable:thumbsup:

Is it worth spending £88 every 4 years for these earphones?

But you may not have to change them after four years.

At £88 for four years or more then I think it's worth a go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom