Westone UM2 muddy vocals?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Nin9, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Nin9

Nin9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I have recently purchased the limited edition UM2RC earphones and here are my observations:

• Instruments are separated very well
    • Good amount of bass
    • Vocals seem muddy (seems like alot of echo)

Now i am by no means an expert of any sort but i am slightly unsatisfied with the sound that these earphones produce. I did quite a lot of research on the UM2 before purchasing them and found that the feedback was very positive hence why i am slightly confused with the sound of the vocals. I am not using any kind of equalizer and have made sure that the earphones are insert properly with a good seal before testing (foam tips).
    I am just wondering if anyone has had this issue and whether there are any recommendations for other models if i were to replace these earphones (se425, um3). When i am not traveling i tend to listen to music on my PC using a ASUS STX sound card paired with the AKG Q701 and i love the way they sound, the vocals are very crisp and the music sounds very clean. I tend to listen to Ballads, soft rock and RNB and in terms of priority i want clear highs and mids rather than heavy bass.
    Budget wise i could probably stretch up to about £350, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    Owned them for six years until the cable started going (good call on rc version ;)) and am familiar with them. Was all excited about demoing the successor UM3X and went away buying other models!

Even during my usage of the UM2 was noticing the small soundstage (UM series designed for monitoring use), slightly sibilant vocals and a touch boomy bass

The universal Westone series tends to get more online love these days than the universal monitor series for the aforementioned reasons: Custom or Universal, although compared to your 701's many IEM will have additional low end response. Maybe go to your local dealer and demo KEF M200

3. Nin9

Nin9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steven,
    Thanks for your prompt reply, what models did you end up purchasing after the UM2's? And do you have any experience with the Westone or Shure models (425, 535)?

4. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I've not tried the Shure 535 but did own the older 530. Lovely smooth mid range but I found the bass to be lacking and didn't think the highs were crisp enough but those mids were really lush.

I've also owned both the Westone UM3X and the W4. Out of the 2 I preferred the UM3X. Despite having one less driver I found the sound more balanced than the W4. Don't get me wrong the W4 is good but I found it a bit too warm sounding for my taste.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    The UM3X is a step up from the UM2 but there is a family relationship there so up to each individual to determine if it is enough of a step. Demo is so important.

IEM - a set on Flickr

Link in the set

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I went from UM2s to the UM3x and have been happy with them.

7. Nin9

Nin9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for all the replies. Does anyone know where you can demo different earbuds in London?

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    handheldaudio
    hifiheadphones an hour out of London