Western Digital My Book Mirror Edition - Any comments?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Lonz_72, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Lonz_72

Lonz_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

I am thinking of buying a Western Digital 2TB My Book Mirror Edition dual-drive storage system to meet my NAS and backup requirements (I also want to link it to a WD HD TV hub). Does anyone have any comments on this product?

Also, I can get the 2TB My Book Mirror Edition for around £220 so I'd be interested if anyone can recommend a better alternative for the same price range.

Cheers,

Lonz

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Only that i believe it uses striping of 2x 1TB disks to achieve the 2TB storage. Meaning that if even one of the disks fails you lose both.

3. Lonz_72

Lonz_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll be using one disk for storage and the other as a backup so that won't be an issue.

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Why not save yourself some cash then and just buy 2x eSata or USB2.0 1Tb external drives at around £70 each?

5. Lonz_72

Lonz_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The My Book Mirror Edition looks like a nice and simple solution and I'm all for nice and simple. However, if there is an alternative solution that is also nice and simple and is cheaper then that's even better. I'm not very technically savy about networks and backup RAID setups etc so simple is the key. Afterall that's the reason why I posted this thread in the first place, to pick the brains of people who clearly know much more than me about these things so I really appreciate you help with this.

6. rjlawson

rjlawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I just got one of these yesterday, after using a couple at work. You only have the choice of RAID 0/1, it doesn't support JBOD - so you can't have the two drives showing up separately on the desktop. Speed is OK in RAID 1, much quicker in RAID 0 but if one disk goes you will potentially loose all data. Virtually silent, apart from a slight click when accessing, I haven't noticed spin-up & it's in the living room.

If a drive fails, WD will send a new one to you & you return the old one. No hot-swap, so you have to disconnect, turn off to replace. Then wait for the mirror to be recreated before connecting back up. Drives must be WD Caviar Green Power, probably because there's no fan so another drive might over-heat? Not as feature-rich as something like a Drobo, but certainly cheaper.

Only issue I've had is the warranty is advertised everywhere as 3 years, but when I registered it shows up as two years. There is a sticker on the base of the box saying "Two Years Warranty", so I've contacted Scan & WD about this.

7. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    According to the spec it can also be set to RAID 1 mode which means that if 1 drive fails the data remains on the other drive - I think.
    Is this correct?
    The 2 TB is currently on Amazon for £176 which seems good to me.
    I'm not an expert on any of this so any advice is appreciated.

8. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    RAID 1 is mirrored not striped hence the word "mirror" in the name of the product ;)

they are ok as a budget NAS, as long as you dont expect super performance across a network, running multiple tasks etc

for not that much more you can get into "real" NAS type boxes like ReadyNAS or QNAP etc ...both of which will offer better performance

the consumer NAS market is still fairly new as far as IT kit goes, barely a couple of years old and as with most things, you get what you pay for

9. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I simply need a back to my PC. I currently use a 500gb hard drive. If that fails I just need to replace it. This is the simplest method but I sometimes get a bit panicky about losing everything. As you say the consumer market is new for this and, anyway, the cost of hard drives seems to be reducing all the time.

10. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    its not the cost hard drives that makes the difference

its the cost the device, which on the higher end ones is not just a box, but s small independay Linux server able to run a lot of software such as mine does

1. serves media to my squeezeboxes and EVA8000
    2. downloads media from the internet via torrent and NZBget
    3. auto backups 2 PCs and 3 laptops each night

Like you say, if all you want is a 2nd hard drive to keep a copy of what you have, you dont even need a NAS - just a cheap, high capacity, direct attach hard drive can be used, and will actually be a lot faster than a cheap NAS
    e.g. a £60 Western Digital 500GB drive via Firewire or USB at 400-500Mbps will be a lot faster than a NAS even connected at 1Gbps, as the write speed is lucky to be 30-50Mbps due to horsepower limitations