western digital media player + philips hts3500s

werdoomed

Standard Member
I recently bought the media player, which is great. But i tried playing the sound through my philips hts3500s, i also bought the optical converter as the dvd doesn't have optical input. I cannot for the life of me get it to work! I have connected it all up, selected digital for the sound output, and nothing comes out? I connect the media player through HDMI if that makes any difference.:lease:

BigCam

Hi :hiya:
Welcome to the Forums :)

The WD HDMI connection wont work just plugging into the Philips using 'adaptor':confused:
Hook up WD to TV via HDMI for picture and for sound
Get a twin Phono audio lead
Plug into audio out L/R phonos on WD and into Aux in L/R on Philips
On WD settings set audio to stereo
Set Aux on Philips plus Dolby Prologic II for 5 channel surround
Let us know how you get on
BigCam

Last edited:

werdoomed

Standard Member
Many thanks Bigcam for the reply. My main query is, i was wondering if i could get DTS to work by this method? I can get sound through the speakers on my dvd system, but i would like DTS to work as well. I am aware that the WDMP doesn't support DTS but would it work through the optical converter into the coax input? I know their is a lot of ifs and buts, but hopefully it will work.

BigCam

Hi :hiya:
How exactly do you have the WD player hooked up
just now
As I thought you were not getting any sound at all

I'm presuming you have WD hooked up to TV via HDMI
Then TV to Philips via optical out to coaxial adaptor

If like my TV when using optical out its only Dolby Digital Stereo thats outputted I have to switch to Dolby Prologic II to get surround sound
If you have hooked it up differently am not sure
The philips should automatically select what type of signal it is receiving , be it DD or DTS
BigCam

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom