• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

West End Show Recommendations?

jezzer256

Established Member
Girlfriend's birthday in december... thought we could go see a show, hence I'm thinking about it so early.

What would people recommend? She's 18, about to do english lit at uni... I am totally the opposite, and about to do maths... so I'm not going to see a shakespeare!

Cheers

Jez

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Girlfriend's birthday in december... thought we could go see a show, hence I'm thinking about it so early.

What would people recommend? She's 18, about to do english lit at uni... I am totally the opposite, and about to do maths... so I'm not going to see a shakespeare!

Cheers

Jez

I went to see Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat, really really cool was a good laugh I really enjoyed it.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
So many good ones to recommend. If you are open to the more traditional type of Musicals Les Miserables and The Phantom of the Opera are sensational. If you need something more geared towards the casual audience then maybe go for Mamma Mia or Grease. Personally i would go for Mamma Mia as its a quality show. Dispel any doubts or apprehensions you might have heard, its so much fun. If you haven't already seen the film then its a must.
You going to dinner before hand ? I can recommend some really good restaurants that aren't too obvious choices :smashin:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Been to see loads with the wife and eldest daughter.
Like Joseph, although it wasn't my favourite.
Probably your best bet is to get her a bit tipsy and go to see Mamma Mia.
It's a good laugh.
Showing at a theatre bang slap in the centre of town too, right in the middle of Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus.
TGI Friday is right next door for something to eat/drink.
Always a lively atmosphere in there, although it's not exactly gourmet.

skk3

Prominent Member

Cheers

Jez

My wife and I have just returned from seeing THE JERSEY BOYS. It was her second time and my first and...I...was... completely blown away, what a superbly produced show.

Make sure you see it with Ryan Molloy as Frankie Valli.

I can recommend seats L4 & L5 in the stalls - you even have leg room in front. I am planning to go again (and again probably). The show really is that good!!!!

jezzer256

Established Member
Thanks guys. Firstly I'm gonna say I am NOT going to see Mamma Mia... we went to see the film when it came out and I'm not doing any more than that!

I guess something a bit traditional is a good idea. Phantom of the opera, Les Mis, Joseph... any others?

And yeah we'll go to dinner somewhere beforehand, but I'm a poor student so don't recommend anywhere too expensive!

Jez

PS I haven't heard of the jersey boys, what is it?

jassco

Distinguished Member
I know you said something traditional, but if you change your mind then Avenue Q is fabulous. Very funny and light-hearted that anyone will enjoy

jezzer256

Established Member
I actually can't decided whether to go for something traditional or something a bit newer and light-hearted. I wouldn't enjoy the traditional ones as much but she probably would!

I'll let you know... any other recommendations for the modern type of show?

Jez

tim68

Established Member
Thanks guys. Firstly I'm gonna say I am NOT going to see Mamma Mia... we went to see the film when it came out and I'm not doing any more than that!

I guess something a bit traditional is a good idea. Phantom of the opera, Les Mis, Joseph... any others?

And yeah we'll go to dinner somewhere beforehand, but I'm a poor student so don't recommend anywhere too expensive!

Jez

PS I haven't heard of the jersey boys, what is it?

Hey mate. Jersey boys is the story of Frankie valli and the 4 seasons, it is a brill show if you like thier music, what struck me most is I have heard most of themusic before but never realised it was all from the same band. Plenty of vids on youtube.

One other I would recomend is blood brothers. It is a story about 2 brothers growing up in liverpool during thatchers britain who were seperated at birth but become friends not knowing who the other is. again brill music and story. plenty of vids on youtube.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom