• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

West Bay RNLI Fun Day & Trawler Festival

I

imcarm

Took a couple of shots of live band playing near the harbour in West Bay Dorset. First time doing live action shots, some could be a little sharper I know.

Will put some of my other shots in my album:

All these taken handheld with 350D + EF90-300mm

liveband3.jpg

liveband2.jpg

liveband.jpg

liveband4.jpg

liveband5.jpg

What do you think good/bad?

Bristol Pete

Prominent Member
To be honest, without sounding horrid mate, these are not that special but there are reasons. I know that you said these are you first shots but one thing you are battling here is the lack of dynamism on stage and the other is distance between you and them. However, as pictures they are ok and can be edited to suit. Examples below -

Just levels, contrast, slight burn on the detail and framed. See the difference? Hope this helps. NOT meant to be a criticism, merely showing where you can improve.

Think about making the shot, not just taking the shot :thumbsup:

Pete.

I

imcarm

No offence taken Pete, I try to avoid using PS as much as possible unless I have to crop or feel the need to convert to remove colour.

Thanks for your comments though, gives me some food for thought next time! :)

Slipperystevens

Established Member
Perhaps I would have phrased that a little differently, like; Not a bad first attempt and as you shoot more, you can brush-up on the composition side of things. CS2, or whatever editing package you're using can be used like this..... etc. ;)

Imcarm, practice makes perfect mate, and as long as you're enjoying it, that's what counts. I have to run most stuff through CS2 before submission to correct composition and levels etc. That's why it's called the Digital Darkroom...:D

Bristol Pete

Prominent Member
Slipperystevens said:
Perhaps I would have phrased that a little differently, like; Not a bad first attempt and as you shoot more, you can brush-up on the composition side of things. CS2, or whatever editing package you're using can be used like this..... etc. ;)

Imcarm, practice makes perfect mate, and as long as you're enjoying it, that's what counts. I have to run most stuff through CS2 before submission to correct composition and levels etc. That's why it's called the Digital Darkroom...:D

Fair comment. However, I was not critical of the pictures merely the lack of energy on stage and distance to the stage. :suicide:

Surely my closing gambit of think about making the shot not just taking it relates to composition and improvement?

Finally, the original poster stated that no offence was taken so was there any need to suggest what you did anyway?

I thank you.

Slipperystevens

Established Member
Pete

No offence meant mate. I was taking the p#ss out of the opening sentence, not the post in general.;) It was meant to be light hearted and make imcarm feel a bit better. ;)

I didn't see his response before I posted, but I see he wasn't too down about it. :D

Bristol Pete

Prominent Member
Slipperystevens said:
Pete

No offence meant mate. I was taking the p#ss out of the opening sentence, not the post in general.;) It was meant to be light hearted and make imcarm feel a bit better. ;)

I didn't see his response before I posted, but I see he wasn't too down about it. :D

Ok nice one. The end of another long day me thinks. All the best :)

I

imcarm

I'd rather people were honest with their comments, otherwise there would be little point in submitting them here for comment.

If Pete had said "these are not that special" and left it at that then I would have to ask why? But he explained his reasons very well and gave me some suggestions to improve, nothing wrong with that.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom