Wesena HTPC Cases

Kemi_Kal

Novice Member
Just got back home after picking the package up from my "local" city link depot.

Opened the silver ITX7 (or ITX7-2 as per the labeling on the box), and was pleased to find a remote included, build quality looks good. There was no blanking plate on the rear low profile PCI-E opening.

A bit busy at the moment so will start on the build with further feedback in the next few days.

wullsy

Novice Member
Just got back home after picking the package up from my "local" city link depot.

Opened the silver ITX7 (or ITX7-2 as per the labeling on the box), and was pleased to find a remote included, build quality looks good. There was no blanking plate on the rear low profile PCI-E opening.

A bit busy at the moment so will start on the build with further feedback in the next few days.
mine turned up today, but I didn't get a remote!

looks good so far, but I'm just in from my works Xmas lunch, so probably best if I leave the build till the weekend!

Edit: I don't appear to have the "built in IR receiver".

Last edited:
Oh well this makes me really happy, and I started the thread!! ;)

craigae

I emailed wesena about the delivery address, and they've been really helpful. The next shipment including E6 should be tomorrow, so if you're thinking about these cases get your order in! Fingers crossed mine will be with me Friday.

I've ordered some great stuff to go in the case, and really looking forward to the build. Will do a separate thread with the complete build over the weekend if all goes to plan :)

Here's the main bits I'll hopefully be using:
Code:
FSP Zen 400W SILENT Fanless 85+ Ultra High Efficiency Power Supply
2 x Hypertec Hyperam 4GB PC3-10666 1333Mhz (2X2GB) Dual Channel Ki
Asus P7H55-M/USB3 Intel H55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 microATX Motherboard [90-MIBBKA-G0EAY0DZ]
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive
Intel Core i3  540 3.06Ghz (Clarkdale) (Socket LGA1156) Processor - Retail
Lite On BD-ROM, IHOS104-37, SATA, Black, OEM
Dynamode USB Dongle Bluetooth            
BlackGold BGT3620 
TeVii S480 Dual DVB-S2 PCIe

Hi Craig,

That looks like it is going to be a really sexy bit of kit!

How come your went for the BlackGold FreeviewHD card and didn't go for their DVB-S2 card as well instead of the TeVii S480 card?

I can't wait to see the box built, take plenty of pics!

Member 507518

Novice Member
We received a shipment from manufacturing this Monday and these will be arriving with customers now...

Wesena have slightly changed the specification of the cases for the ITX2, ITX7-2, E5, E6 and G60 cases and are now no longer supplied with the IR Receiver PCB pre-installed. The internal IR Receiver PCB is now included with the IR Remote control accessory available separately.

As way of an apology for the mix up, any existing customer orders who have just received their new Wesena cases without the IR Receiver PCB, they will receive a Philips RC260 Remote with IR bundle as soon as they come in to stock.

The E6V and E7T cases are not affected by this because the IR Receiver is built in to the display on those cases.

We are also expecting another delivery from Wesena at the end of the week which will include more ITX2 and ITX7-2 and E series cases.

Existing customer please contact us directly if you have any specific issues with your order.

Many thanks for your continued interest in products from
Wesena.co.uk

My kit finally turned up today (I know the City Link drive from a previous life and he told me they were instructed to take 80x deliveries out per day and that was all.... which is nice if you are waiting for something. They have such a backlog at my local hub because of the bad weather and stuff going up to Scotland).

Anyway, first impressions are very good. Whilst it is a shame about the IR board not being in there and there is a missing blanking plate for the expansion slot, the quality of the case can't be denied. It feels very solid (even with out anything in it yet) and the finish is very nice, put it this way the wife was very impressed :S

On with the build tonight. Pics to follow. Does anybody want me to put them on here or should I start a new "build" thread?!?

Cheers

Paul

jamesaevans

Novice Member
My kit finally turned up today (I know the City Link drive from a previous life and he told me they were instructed to take 80x deliveries out per day and that was all.... which is nice if you are waiting for something. They have such a backlog at my local hub because of the bad weather and stuff going up to Scotland).

Anyway, first impressions are very good. Whilst it is a shame about the IR board not being in there and there is a missing blanking plate for the expansion slot, the quality of the case can't be denied. It feels very solid (even with out anything in it yet) and the finish is very nice, put it this way the wife was very impressed :S

On with the build tonight. Pics to follow. Does anybody want me to put them on here or should I start a new "build" thread?!?

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul,

Great news that you case has arrived, really looking forward to seeing the photos of your build. Shame about the mix up with the IR receiver, but at least Wesena are doing the right thing by customers who ordered their case based on the original spec.

In terms of where to post your build photos, I guess that really depends on how detailed you are planning to go with your build log. If it's just a quick update with a few photos I would include them in this thread. However, if you are planning a more detailed and extensive build log, I would start a new thread and add a post in this thread linking to your separate build thread.

Best wishes
James

I think then depending on how much time I have got tonight I'm going to do a new thread like I did with my main HTPC build.

My only issue might be that I have purchased a 20pin PicoPSU and the motherboard needs a 24pin :( so I might still not be able to test it tonight anyway.... doh!

Cheers

Paul

Kemi_Kal

Novice Member
;)
My only issue might be that I have purchased a 20pin PicoPSU and the motherboard needs a 24pin :( so I might still not be able to test it tonight anyway.... doh!l
I was worried about that too but my Asus fired up fine with the 20 pin main loom.

Oh you are a star for that info!!

How are you getting on with the build or have you not had time yet?

Cheers

Paul

craigae

How come your went for the BlackGold FreeviewHD card and didn't go for their DVB-S2 card as well instead of the TeVii S480 card?
The TeVii is a bit cheaper (£80) and tbh I'll never use all the extra stuff on the BlackGold DVB-S2 card. However, stock of the S480 seems delayed now, so it won't be here in time to go in the initial build :(

City Link have also messed me around a little today (stuff from Aria). The van didn't go out 'til 3.30pm this afternoon, and still nothing now so I doubt my stuff is really on it's way :(

Ok machine is now built. I have a few cables to tidy up but I am very happy with the build.

Everything lines up as I would expect it to. Even though there isn't a great deal of space inside the case to work with (because of the way it is designed with the ODD and the HDD being attached to the mounting plate that goes the length of the case) I have no scraped or cut fingers tonight - all nice smooth edges in the case.

The Optiarc ODD eject button seems to line up perfectly with the eject button but we'll wait till we fire her up tomorrow and see if that works.

There is also no Wesena logo on the front of the case which I am quite happy about. There is a stick on one which might get put on the back of the case over the "Powered by Asus" badge (naaaaaah I don't think either of these is going on lol).

Very happy and impressed so far..... pictures tomorrow.

wullsy

Novice Member
Ok machine is now built. I have a few cables to tidy up but I am very happy with the build.

Everything lines up as I would expect it to. Even though there isn't a great deal of space inside the case to work with (because of the way it is designed with the ODD and the HDD being attached to the mounting plate that goes the length of the case) I have no scraped or cut fingers tonight - all nice smooth edges in the case.

The Optiarc ODD eject button seems to line up perfectly with the eject button but we'll wait till we fire her up tomorrow and see if that works.

There is also no Wesena logo on the front of the case which I am quite happy about. There is a stick on one which might get put on the back of the case over the "Powered by Asus" badge (naaaaaah I don't think either of these is going on lol).

Very happy and impressed so far..... pictures tomorrow.
have you tried actually booting up the machine yet? I can't get my mobo to boot. Blue power light on and fan turns over but no video.

think I need to find a 1gb SO-DIMM after all!

lemmo

Standard Member
Vlife, thanks for all the info, look forward to the pics.

I'd be interested to know whether you can put the lid of the ITX7 on the other way round, i.e. with the air vents at the front? Do the mountings on the base line up?

Any chance you could try it? cheers :)

Kemi_Kal

Novice Member
I'd be interested to know whether you can put the lid of the ITX7 on the other way round, i.e. with the air vents at the front? Do the mountings on the base line up?

Any chance you could try it? cheers :)
Tried this the other day and the lid can be be rotated as it is symmetrical, all the holes line up, you may have to be clever with the mounting of the fan as you don't get much depth and there's nothing to hold the fan in place.

I haven't started my build yet, hopefully will be a Friday evening project or the weekend.

lemmo

Standard Member
Thanks Kemi_Kal :)

You ordered a black and a silver case didn't you? Any preference now you have them in your hand, what's the finish like?

I think I'll order one, and play around with fan/cooling, I want to rubber-mount the fan anyway... and a case like that should have some heatpipe cooling potential.

Kemi_Kal

Novice Member
Yes, ordered the two colours, the silver will go in the living / kids room and that colour goes well with the sky plus box and other white / silver equipment. The black case is going in the other room where I have my setup and goes well with the black Xbox 360 slim and black freesat box.

I think both colours look good when matched with other equipment, If I could only choose one I would go with the black as it looks very sleek and stealth like, the front USB / memory card are less obvious too.

They have this subtle brushed finish which is fine (less prone to greasy finger prints).

I haven't started the build yet but I think I have noticed that I may have problems with the choice of motherboard / CPU I have gone with (on both). The stock Athlon X2 II 250e heatsink fan may play foul with the SSD / optical drive bracket.

Hmmmm, we'll see......

Kemi_Kal

Novice Member
have you tried actually booting up the machine yet? I can't get my mobo to boot. Blue power light on and fan turns over but no video.

think I need to find a 1gb SO-DIMM after all!
Must be the dreaded memory / motherboard compatibility issue. I haven't got the board myself but my initial research showed the KVR800D3S8S6/2G is compatible with the AT5IONT-I out of the box, you should then be able to upgrade the bios to get more memory modules compatible.

Kingston KVR800D3S8S6/2G, 2GB 800MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL6 SODIMM - KVR800D3S8S6/2G

KVR800D3S8S6/2G Kingston 2GB DDR3-800 Non ECC SODIMM CL6

lemmo

Standard Member
Thank Kemi_Kal, good luck :)

the ITX2, ITX7-2, E5, E6 and G60 cases and are now no longer supplied with the IR Receiver PCB pre-installed
WesenaUK, please could you confirm whether these cases still have the IR Receive Window built into the front panel?

And also how many USB headers do you need on the mainboard to connect the front panel components?

cheers

wullsy

Novice Member
Must be the dreaded memory / motherboard compatibility issue. I haven't got the board myself but my initial research showed the KVR800D3S8S6/2G is compatible with the AT5IONT-I out of the box, you should then be able to upgrade the bios to get more memory modules compatible.

Kingston KVR800D3S8S6/2G, 2GB 800MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL6 SODIMM - KVR800D3S8S6/2G

KVR800D3S8S6/2G Kingston 2GB DDR3-800 Non ECC SODIMM CL6
I already have KVR1333D3S9/2G, which is on the supported list, but apparently needs the bios upgrade to get working.

I've now bought KVR1066D3S7/1G, which according to most of the forums, is the most compatible to get it to boot, so, at only a tenner, I'll try that and see how I get on.

Never came across a motherboard this picky before!

@lemmo - From what they told me all of the cases mentioned will still have the IR window in the case. It is just the IR receiver PCB will now come with the Philips RC260 Remote package which is £29.99 on their site. Those of us who have ordered the cases are being sent this pack when they get them in stock.

On the ITX7-2 case you need 4x internal header ports. One each for the USB ports, one for the card reader and one for the IR receiver.

HTH

formation4

Any pictures of the cases. Am thinking of going back to a htpc case. But don't think any of the wesena cases can house a h50 cooler

Sorry guys with birthdays and getting stuff organised for Xmas I haven't had chance to sort out images of my build yet. I'll try and get them up tonight.

Cheers

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom