Wesena HTPC Cases

Unf. I'm not planning to run XBMC on these boxes. They are going in two of our kids bedrooms and mine and the wife's bedroom. On my main HTPC in the living room which is also acting as the server (for the time being) and all machines are going to use Windows Media Center as each machine will be also used to watch TV on and I don't think XBMC has that feature.

I am guessing that I'll have to install and configure FFDShow to get the hardware acceleration working on these machines. My main HTPC doesn't really need it any help ;-)

As soon as the case arrives I'll build and let the thread know how I get on.

Cheers

Paul

@Anth.Payne - I know that "how to" quite well :) cheers for the link anyway though.

@Wullsy - I heard the same too, only a couple of days though. I guess they can't help the weather and the backlog of stuff coming in from China.

Member 507518

Novice Member
robimitchell: The case dimensions are front panel width is 435mm, front panel height is 112mm. The case depth front to back is 390mm - you will need to allow a few extra mm for your cables etc...

Hope that helps

wesena.co.uk

Member 507518

Novice Member
To the guys at Wesena, can you give us a little info on your history and how you've reached having some nice cases?

Cheers

D.
Hi deksawyer,

The Wesena case philosophy is simple - high quality and sleek designs.

Wesena offer a number of different case styles and finishes ideally suited to HTPC and home appliance use. The cases are designed for good thermal and acoustic performance. The all metal construction also provides good electronic noise shielding - handy if you want to locate the device near your audio equipment etc.

Many thanks for your interest.

Kemi_Kal

Novice Member
I also got the delay message, hopefully all my other components will be arriving next week too so I`ll have everything to start the build (I am building two identical systems, one in a black Wesena ITX7 case and another in the silver ITX7 case). These two will sit in separate rooms streaming media and mame games from the server upstairs (all wired gigabit).

I have moved away from the ASUS AT5IONT-I and ordered the ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe AMD 880G Mini ITX (AM3) instead with an Athlon II X2 250e (45w energy efficient), reading number of forums suggested the AT5IONT-I was picky about the memory and the rare few that did work were pretty much all out of stock with the web suppliers I came across. Plus I think in the long run I would have faced limitations with the Atom board.

ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe is getting very good reviews and has potential for the future as I can upgrade to a Phenom X6, the PCIe x16 is handy if I need to upgrade to a faster low profile graphics card.

Along with a 60GB SSD for the OS should be a near silent system.

Will give an update of the shopping list and build when I get all the bits and pieces.

Hmmmm you've got me concerned now. I've never been a fan of AMD CPU's (even though I have an ATI GFX card in my main HTPC but I guess that is different). I don't really have a reason why I should be against AMD either I think it is just because I have always had Intel.

I'll check that motherboard out and have a think.

Cheers for the info.

Paul

Kemi_Kal

Novice Member
From personal experience the pro's and con's between Intel and AMD in a simple HTPC application negligible.

I would definitely consider Intel over AMD when looking for a laptop or high end server, if one person built a high end gaming system based around an Intel CPU, another person could provide a more powerful AMD solution (that's the beauty of custom builds), it's all down to how much money you can throw at it.

My original budget was around the £350 mark (per system), doing the maths I though it's worth spending an extra £40 - £50 to take the build to £400 and getting a better motherboard / cpu which I can upgrade if I need to in the near future.

I will surely be limited by the atom processor in the future and the lack of memory support out of the box is a concern (once you upgrade the bios on the ASUS AT5IONT-I you get better memory support but you can't upgrade the bios if you don't have the right memory in the first place, which is near impossible to get at the moment).

From a budget and application (HTPC) point of view my personal opinion is the ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe is my best route.... and all housed in the Wesena case will set them off nicely!

deksawyer

Hi deksawyer,

The Wesena case philosophy is simple - high quality and sleek designs.

Wesena offer a number of different case styles and finishes ideally suited to HTPC and home appliance use. The cases are designed for good thermal and acoustic performance. The all metal construction also provides good electronic noise shielding - handy if you want to locate the device near your audio equipment etc.

Many thanks for your interest.
Thanks for the reply.

I'd still look into relocating that fan.......

D.

I called Wesena today and changed my order from an ITX2 to an ITX7. I've gone for the Asus A5IONT-I motherboard, 2x 2Gb of Kingston SO memory modules (Asus say they are compatible :S), a 1Tb HDD and an optical drive.

Hopefully everything will arrive together and I'll be able to put up pictures of the build over the weekend.

Fingers crossed that the Wesena delivery date of the 10th is still going to happen.

Paul

wullsy

Novice Member
I called Wesena today and changed my order from an ITX2 to an ITX7. I've gone for the Asus A5IONT-I motherboard, 2x 2Gb of Kingston SO memory modules (Asus say they are compatible :S), a 1Tb HDD and an optical drive.

Hopefully everything will arrive together and I'll be able to put up pictures of the build over the weekend.

Fingers crossed that the Wesena delivery date of the 10th is still going to happen.

Paul
sounds like your build is similar to mine, although I've went for a 60gb SSD, as I'll be attaching an iSCSI based NAS to the operating system.
I bought my bits several weeks ago and haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I bought the 2gb Kingston modules from Play.com, as they have a special on them. Apparently, you need a 1gb module to boot it up initially with that board, as the board come with an old version of the firmware, which doesn't support 2gb SO-DIMMS.

I'll find out for certain at the weekend, as I'm going to do the OS install (fingers crossed).

Ahhhh there is always something isn't there!! Hopefully the motherboard has the latest firmware on it as I don't have any 1Gb SO-DIMM modules LOL

Cheers for the info anyway.

Paul

lemmo

Standard Member
I'm interested in these cases too, and look forward to some feedback on build quality. The website pics look great.

I'm not sure having a fan right next to an optical drive bay is an optimal choice (the E6). It really should have been at the rear of that side of the case, near the CPU.

And the front I/O ports on the ITX7 kinda spoil the good looks, no matter how useful they may be.
Always hard producing a case that suits everyone. I actually need the front panel ports, so the ITX2 case is no good for me, but aesthetically I wish the front panel ports on the ITX7-2 were neatly lined up.

And I'm also not convinced about the cooling. Why are the fans right next to the rear vent? The air will take the easiest path and by-pass the front of the case where the CPU and RAM are. So you'll need a CPU fan just to move the air around.

It would also have been nice to see some soft rubber mountings for the drives, for example as on the Coolermaster TC-100:

http://epiacenter.de/images/reviews/coolermaster/ECX43001S1GP/ecx43001_inside31_small.jpg

Likewise it would be great to see some rubber fan mountings.

Still, good to see that Wesena are here on the forums, and may give them a pop... :)

Last edited:

jamesaevans

Novice Member
Has anyone received their order from Wesena or have an update on availability?

Also any recommendations for a slim slot loading DVD or Blu-ray drive that would fit the Wesena case?

James

Hi, I heard from the guys at Wesena that the stock landed at Heathrow this morning and back orders will be despatched by courier on Monday for delivery on Tuesday - I can't wait :)

Pictures and build as soon as it arrives.

Oh I've ordered an Optiarc slot loading drive

Paul

jamesaevans

Novice Member
Hi, I heard from the guys at Wesena that the stock landed at Heathrow this morning and back orders will be despatched by courier on Monday for delivery on Tuesday - I can't wait :)

Pictures and build as soon as it arrives.

Oh I've ordered an Optiarc slot loading drive

Paul
Hi Paul

Good news that the cases are on the way and should arrive early next week. Looking forward to seeing the photos of your build as I think I may well go for the ITX2 case when I build my HTPC in the new year.

I'm assuming this is the slot loading drive you have ordered: AD-7670S | Sony Optiarc

I did a quick google search and both the Pioneer DVR-TS08 and Panasonic UJ-875A look like they might also be an options if you can track one down. The only other slot loading drives I could find were the Samsung SN T083C and Toshiba TS-T632A, but unfortunatly both drives appear to have the eject button in the wrong place for the Wesena cases.

I guess you could always go mad and install a Panasonic UJ-225B Blu-ray drive, but that would cost you more than the case!

Thanks
James

There are some other options as well. Hitachi LG do some slot loaders as well.

Looking forward to the build though :)

lemmo

Standard Member
Thanks for all the info.

I'd be interested to know whether you can put the lid of the ITX7 on the other way round, i.e. with the air vents at the front? Do the mountings on the base line up?

I expect I'd have to do some fiddling on the inside with the fan mount... all part of the fun though :)

Just had an update from Wesena!!

Their delivery has arrived and my order is shipping out tonight for delivery tomorrow.... can't wait!

Pictures and video to follow

HTH

Paul

craigae

Very interested in the E6, although a little concerned about the small and partially blocked 80mm fans. I'm thinking of installing a ASUS P7H55-M/USB3, an SSD boot drive, a couple of 2TB discs and freeview HD and freesat HD cards.

Is Wesena shipping next day?

They do ship next day if they have stock but from the conversation I had with them they had a bit of a backlog since launching the site. I think they have more coming though and more in January because I'm looking to build two other machines if this one goes well.

craigae

I've just ordered the E6 tonight, hopefully to get it this week sometime. The date on the website still says available December 10th!

The order process seemed a little odd, and it wouldn't let me specify an alternative delivery address. The option was there, but it just sent me round in circles. I've emailed them along with order number to see if I can get it at work. I live in an apartment, and missing a daytime delivery and not getting a note is a given :(

jamesaevans

Novice Member
Just had an update from Wesena!!

Their delivery has arrived and my order is shipping out tonight for delivery tomorrow.... can't wait!

Pictures and video to follow

HTH

Paul

Hi Paul,

Did your order from Wesena arrive today?

Best wishes
James

[-]Not arrived as yet, still plenty of time yet though.[/-]

19:10 and nothing from City Link - not happy!!!

It isn't Wesena's fault either as I can track the delivery leaving them yesterday and hitting the local delivery point at around 3am this morning.

City Link have managed to fail on two deliveries to me today (Wesena and Ebuyer) so I'm not impressed at all. I have heard them delivering up till 9pm though at peak times of the year so who knows :(

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom