1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Werid green "light" appearing being projected by AE500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Argento, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a light spot that sort of big as my fist (on a 6"x9" screen)... and looks green?!!!

Only just appeared after 100 hours of use.

Any ideas?

Rich
    :rolleyes:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sounds like a classic description of a dust blob ... if so you will find if you tighten the focus it will become sharper.

3. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah!!! It does - how do I get rid of it?!

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Blow air at it. :)

That's how they're removed, opening up the machine and using something like an air duster to blast air over the LCD panels and/or optics until the blob's gone. Doing this yourself can void your warranty, not sure about Panasonic, sadly it's a fact of life for projectors without a sealed optic system.

Is it really causing a problem? The blob on my Z2 is only visible when there's no image showing so I just live with it.

5. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - It's big and bright green! Looks like the Hulks fist coming out of my screen!

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone had experince of doing this fix?

6. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Just for ther record, I checked only a couple of weeks ago about Z2 dust blob removal, and I was told that it doesn't void the Sanyo warranty, they're pretty relaxed about it. Don't know about Panasonic though.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    can you take a piccy of it..... your description of the hulks fist sounds something other than a dustblob..... a blob cant physically be producing green, its just a diffraction effect. So by definition the blob should only be faint.....

ad

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I should have my AE100/200/300/500 dust cleaning guide with pics online on my site in a day or two. I'll post a link when its up.

9. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not faint... You can see it (just), even with a moving image projected on the screen.

It looks like a green torch on the screen, brighter in the middle, and the dissipates outs around the edges. But altering the focus, or putting you hand nearer the projector lens does alter it's focus, making it more sharper....

Where actually is the dust - on the blub or "The ribbons" whatever they are...?

Cheers for the help folks!

Rich

10. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calibros - that would be great! Very nervy about doing this...!

Rich

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if it is dust, it will be directly on the lcd panel

ad

12. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry :blush: - Haven't a clue what an LCD panel is....

But I did just buy a Air Spray can ;)

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the lcd panel is what defines the picture.

Be careful to hold the can level when you spray..... else you will get liquid propellant coming out which = bad

ad

14. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - any pictures of what I'm looking for?

15. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Argento,

Go into service menu. ie Menu->options->Hold enter on OSD for a few seconds->down to service mode(IIRC). You'll get a coloured screen. left and right cursor buttons change the colour (R>G>B>). Hold a sheet of white A4 a few inches infront of the PJ lense and move it in and out till your blob comes into focus. You'll probably notice a lot more specks and blobs. Do this for each colour (ie each LCD panel) You'll see which panels have the most dust contamination so that when you do eventually take the PJ apart to clean, you'll know which panels to concentrate on. The panel ribon cables usually have a coloured sticker on them indicating which colour panel it is.

[​IMG]

A lot of the time all that is needed is to take the outer casing off and spray around the panels (ie where the orange/copper ribbon cables are in the pic below) This is usually where the dust contamination is. You would place the PJ on its side when spraying in order to hold the spray can vertically(ie if the PJ is flat and you have the can held horizontally you risk spraying liquid propellant all over the panels which is not good!)

[​IMG]

Sometimes you have to delve deeper and this is only for the semi brave who dont mind risking their warranty. TBH honest its easy and I cant see how Panasonic would ever know cause there are no seals to break etc but some people just aren't risk takers!

[​IMG]

16. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calibos - Thanks so much. I really appreciate your time and effort to help me out.

I shall attempt surgery on Sunday...

Cheers

Rich

17. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW - My projector is wall mounted - I asume I've gotta dismount it, and is it just a few screws underneath to undo, and the top slides off?

18. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    [​IMG]

Turn it upside down. Undo the screws marked on the pic above. Turn the PJ back over. Carefully lift the silver casing off. Put Pj on its side. Spray and hoover at the same time like in the pic below. (the mainboard is off in that pic though, you'll be leaving yours on...for your first go anyway!) You'll see where the orange ribbon cables are attached. Thats the panels. Give them a spray. Spray the little glass plate on each side which is mounted a millimetre or two in front of each panel and also try and spray the three facets of the square prism block all the time keeping the hoover nozzle close to suck up the removed dust to prevent it settling back in the projector.

[​IMG]

BTW the AE500 may not be 100% the same as the AE300 internally. At the very least it will be very very similar so you shouldn't have any trouble.

19. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Outstanding Help and support!!!

:smashin:

20. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can say that again.

I had 2 goes this morning, but it didn't work - to be fair, It was before I saw the post above about the hoovering at the same time.

I can still see the same one large green mark on my screen! Not sure what to do next really. To be fair, I probably concentrated more on the actual ribbons than the pannels with the air... Should I be spraying the top of the ribbons, or underneath - or both?

Time to call Panasonic - or should I have one more go....

21. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll clean it for you if you like..............

22. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your kind offer Kramer :laugh: ...

23. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried it one last time, and used about a whole can!

Blew underneath the copper ribbons, around the edges of them.

Still not gone. I think I'll have to call the dealer.

Thanks for all your help!

Rich

24. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem. I love taking stuff to pieces........

[​IMG]

:devil: :D

25. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Same here! :D In fact I'm gonna take mine apart again right now.............damn, the brother just started watching Spartacus! :D

Argento,

You are spraying here aren't you?

[​IMG]

26. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You call that "taking it apart"?

[​IMG]

That's what I'm talking about :D

......anyone got a service manual for a HS10 because I think my one is broke..........the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone, the thigh bone's connected to the hip bone.....:rotfl:

27. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    calibos, all I can get access to is the ribbons - underneath and above - underneath is just a case of getting the "straw" of the can under the ribbon and then spraying!

Are you aiming at a "slot"?!

28. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ok Kramer, ya got me beat....bloody show off! :D

Argento,

Ok found this pic of an ae500 over at AVS. From the looks of it its very similar to the ae300 but the pic is higher resolution than mine and its a nice closeup shot.

[​IMG]

The red arrows are from the original poster, ie where he sprayed to get rid of his dust. What you can do to give you even better access is disconnect the end of the ribbon cables. See where the ribbon cables connect. Each side there is a little black clip. Get your fingernails around the edges and give a little tug in the direction of the blue arrows. They don't come out, they just loosen their grip on the ribbon cable. Gently slide that end of the ribbon cable out of its connector. The other end goes down into the panel and stays connected at that end. You're not removing the ribbon cable, just disconnecting one end so you can bend it out of the way to give you better access. This should give you better access to dust the polorizer plates and the back of the panels. The green arrows point to the front of the panels, the little glass filters a millimetre or so in front of each panel and the facets of the prism block.(the prism block is under the metal with the circular hole in it. It combines the image from the three panels (RGB) which goes out the fourth side to the lense assembly). When finished you slide the ribbon cable back in and then push the little black clips back in. Its very easy.

Something that may help you see the dust on the surfaces better is line up a bedside lamp for example with the lense. Turn off the room light and you should see most of the surfaces and the dust illuminated like in the pics below. (pic is a bit blurry unfortunately)

[​IMG]

29. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the better photo - Could this green blob be anything else? I really did give those areas a good blast with the air.

Not sure whether or not to try again.....

30. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    another question about dust removal, i have cleaned my A300 a couple of times and its a pain to do as its ceiling mounted, i noticed the other day i have another faint green dustblob which i can hardly notice so i was going to leave it for a few months incase any more appear, can this cause a problem in the future ie will the dust spec become stuck to the panel and not be removed by the air.