1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went to Currys today

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by malso, Mar 25, 2005.

1. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i took a look at their TVs, they had hundreds on display

the best looking DPL was the Samsung SP50L7H, very nice indeed; the worst was was the Toshiba.....but not the 46wm48 (they didn't sell them)...also the Sony Grand Wega looked awfall.

all of the DPLs i would class as very poor pictures, total rubbish in comparison to my old Philips crt....they only looked great on teletext/TV menu's etc.

but this is because (i think) the rf feed was crap, plus they only use a 50 quid DVD player and a silly cartoon movie, to show to customers...i was quite shocked to see the poor quality pictures.....they were blurred/ pixillated, too dark and not enough contrast...but in comparison, the CRTs/ plasmas looked miles better.

the salesman was embarrased too, i would never purchase a DLP without seeing it set up correctly.

he told me they never turn off the TVs, they're left on all night, even when the shop is closed....the Samsung SP50L7H has been left turned on ever since it was purchased....this too is increadible...i think it's been on SOLID for the last 6 months! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:....but the replacement bulb is only about 50 quid.

when i hear people say ``DPL is a great quality picture``....well i say at the moment no..it's nowhere near as good as the CRTs/plasmas they had on display at Currys.....he could not turn up the brightness/contrast correctly..it just went bright grey....and this was the Samsung SP50L7H, nowhere near the picture quality of a CRT :thumbsdow

Tell me i'm wrong guys..because it's not looking good, because going to Curry's has put me right off :thumbsdow

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Lol....... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cheers for the laugh.

3. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    ya at least need to see dlp in action with a dvd player feeding it the signal directly and if possible a pc feeding it hd material. The inhouse multi feed is garbage.

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,104
    I wouldn't base your opinions on the quality of different TV types after viewing them in Currys. I am surprised those muppets even knew the difference between CRT and DLP. Don't even start to mention different connections like scart or component, that goes right over their heads.

Have a look in a proper AV shop and you should get a much better idea.

5. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on any set you won't get anything better coming out than what is going in. i had one currys get a good feed into a sammy 50 and the picture was very good.but even that wasn't as good as an hdmi feed.

6. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It made me laugh because he called me an expert, but in reality i know F*** ALL :D :D :D :D :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

the Sony had the same size screen as the Samsung at 50'' but the Grand Wega looked miles bigger in comparison....the Samsung 50 was very slimline and stylish, the stand is awesome and very tall....but the sony looked like 10 year old technology in comparison...

the samsung is very impressive compared to all the rest, but Curry's is a dump; it's also expensive compared to Dealtime.

the DVD player/ feed they used...was old and covered in dust/coffee stains :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i want to see another one correctly set up before i purchase...that's for sure

the big crtl's at 36'' were just way too deep...they looked very heavy too, but excellent picture quality

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Your not wrong, my old 36" panasonic CRT weighed 14 stone. A nightmare to get on to the stand. :D

Id agree that the CRT's normally look the best in the shops and I was sceptical that the DLP's would not be as good, but I was wrong. After taking my own DVD player, component leads and films the picture was in a different league compared to the rubbish £50 player and scart lead they had on the set before hand. Even after spending an good hour with the set I still found myself watching the 36" CRT and thinking could the Tosh look as good with films as iamb getting at the moment, but I took the leap and I have to say iamb not disappointed the Tosh has a better pic especial taking into account the picture size increase :thumbsup: . Just a shame I may have to get mine swapped because of a flicker problem :( .
    I can't wait to see some HD material running on it.

9. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes DPM i expect you're right, because even the Curry bloke told me that their TV's weren't set up correctly....he said to me, ``you're right sir, they look crap....mind you this DVD player i'm using is rubbish, its only worth about 50 quid and it's well knackered out`` :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i asked why is he displaying a poor quality picture..it must effect sales, he said ``yes it does,but i can guarantee you sir, if you use top quality feeds, DVD players, the picture will look excellent`` :D :D

this doesn't say much for the company he works for if he agrees with me. :eek:

i also noticed if you stood too close you couldn't see the picture in all your vision, your head moves from side to side, trying to take in what you see; any closer than 6ft and you've had it...i'll be viewing from 9.5 ft away.

i saw no rainbow effect, but the blurr/ghosting on the picture was about
    half an inch wide....white writing was a mid grey...and the picture looked very dull indeed.

BUT IT LOOKED GREAT with the screen control menu/ teletext.

the sound was good too on the samsung, but then again i'm no expert.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    "Top quality feed" ..... I take it he means an overpriced Monster scart cable ? :)

11. reddux

reddux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    malso, I also think the Sammy 50" looks quite dull on all the 3 seperate times I've viewed one. This is compared with the other DLPs with the same source feed, can't be a coincidence that each time they just hadn't set up or played with just the Sammy :confused:

I really don't know what to do? this is the last option I think for me, although the Sagem HD-D45 once again amazed me with a HD demo on display, I looked really hard on the F1 demo to find the apparent problem that's been pointed out with skin textures/tones but couldn't notice it at all. SD material may be different (only ever seen the Sagem with HD demo's displayed).

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

The factory settings for the samsung may be giving you this dull look. The optoma sets come out of the factory with way too much contrast and all the black detail is lost at this settingl. You need to adjust the set yourself untill you get the picture you need. If after 5-10min of adjusments your still not satisfied then I dont think you ever will be.

13. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes not only was the picture poor on the Samsung, it was dull in comparison to the Sony. even after adjusting, but PQ was far superior, plus it looks miles better.

but all the pictures were poor in Currys, but the DLPs were far duller than the plasmas/crts....it was almost like only half the brightness/contrast....they looked to me dead and worn out.

but this could be bad rf feeds/poor DVD players, but then again; all the TVs had this same crap feed/dvd.

one might get used to this at home, but i have to say it does worry me; because i'll be spending 2000 pounds...i might wait another 5 months, really look at this problem far more closely..i need to see one set up correctly, somewhere near Bournemouth/southampton.

i'm not convinced a far better/ sharper picture will improve this lack of contrast/brightness and general ``dead look``.

to me (not being an expert), i would say the bulbs aren't bright enough for such huge screens....or all the DLPs i saw were simply running out of bulb power..knackered out...all the colours to me seemed to look grey...there was no bright colours whatsoever.

mind you the shop was very bright...the screens were reflecting everything,
    i need to see a DLP set up correctly

14. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i want to see the Tosh 46 and the RD 50 set up correctly, then i'll make my mind up....i think the Sammy at the moment is way too expensive at 2800, but it did look damned good; it was by far the best looking tv in the whole shop, not just the DLPs; all of them.

currys will be switching stock to all DLPs and LCDs, so expect to see really cheap 36'' CRTs before Xmas........plasmas according to him are dieing out too....but the CRT at 36'' is bloody enormous, it looks like a freezer :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :eek: :eek:

15. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The great thing about DLP's are the bright screen mine has better picture quality than my old crt set & without the reflections also unlike a crt set they can be used as a moniter .
    CRT at it's best is said to have the best picture quality but i would rate DLP better than Plasma or LCD & CRT from what i've seen personally.

16. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i respect your judgement Steve, i need to see a few set up correctly :( :(

because they cant be as bad as the ones i've seen, or nobody would buy them :smashin: :smashin:

17. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Malso, don't forget the DLPs have a limited vertical viewing angle so they may look a bit dull unless the screen is in eyeline. Most stores incl Currys and Comet don't make allowance for this and place the sets too low.

Also you mention all the DLPs you saw at Currys, as far as I'm aware they only sell the Sammmy SP50, SP46 and the LG, you maybe also be lucky to find the Tosh. The others including the Sony are not DLP.

I don't see this myself, plasma has still got plenty of life in it, wait till all the HD plasmas start arriving over the coming months.

18. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Even the probs i have had with mine it still beats the plasmas i had demoed. The spec i have in this dlp would cost a lot in a plasma. I hate how they are selling the proper crap plasmas to people who have no idea what they are buying.

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Plasma's are a good peice of equipment if you are not an AV nut and have limited space. I personally wouldnt have one in my house. I find the image too processed and not very natural.

20. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasma LCD & DLP will all have to evolve & make improvements to stay competitive with new display technology that is in the pipeline. I doubt any of them will last as long as the CRT set or even the VCR