Question went to buy a tumble dryer and ended up looking at tvs...

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by rykard, Jan 14, 2019.

1. rykard

rykard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    we went to buy a new tumble dryer yesterday and ended up looking at TVs. I am at a loss as to what I am looking for, i've spent the last 30 mins skimming a number of articles, but they seem to bedated 2014.. So a total newbie could do with soime advice...

we currently have a 37" panasonic. We were looking up to 49" LG (£599), though a colleague has said the OS is dated and we'd be better off with a Sony (£639). Our budget is around £650, but I don't know what to look for.
    We generally watch HD channels through sky and prime and Blurays . We sit pretty much centrally to it between 2.8m and 3.2m away. We often watch movies in the dark, but everything else in the light.

Help please, your my only hope...
    Rich

2. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Christ knows what your colleague finds wrong with the LG OS.... for most reviewers, it’s the easiest and most intuitive to use, especially with the cursor interface and google/Alexa integration. Furthermore, Sony is not a brand one normally associates with a good stable easy to use OS, many on here complain about the sluggishness and usability..... not to say it’s bad, but the best rated OS is generally the LGs.

For 599 I’m guessing you we’re looking at the 49SK8100? It’s an okay tv, a better jump up would be to the 49SK8500 - this will be brighter and more colourful, better local dimming and blacks. Both will do give a pretty good all around performance, but the LGs use IPS panels, which are better for colour reproduction and improved viewing angles, at the expense of brightness and contrast.

The comparable Sony is the 49XF80. Through still IPS, it is brighter than the LG with arguably better motion, but won’t have the more accurate colour or viewing angle performance that the LG has. As discussed, the OS isn’t as good but is still usable.

To summarise... for me, the better picture? That’s the Sony. The better all around tv? Between these two, the LG.

If you wanted a third option, the 49NU8000 Samsung is also a great bet, but is 699.

3. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +717
    Sony XF85 is a good option, especially given you view centrally. Should be around £650. It has a va panel for deep blacks, but as mentioned Android can be hit and miss.

LG and Samsung have the most intuitive smart systems, but LG use mostly ips which have poor contrast which is especially noticeable in a dark/dim environment.

4. rykard

rykard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, it was the LG 49SK8100PLA 49 they didn't have the 8500.

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,966
    At your viewing distance I'd consider a much larger screen, 55" at least. Better would be 65"-75" If you can fit it of course!

6. rykard

rykard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    we only have about 50" of available space. Would you really go that big when you're sat approx 3 metres away?

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,966
    Yes, there is little point having an UHD TV unless you view close enough to benefit from it!

Not only that but 3m is on the large side even if you watch HD!
    TV Viewing Distance Guide

It means that on a smaller TV the difference between a good quality source and a poor one won't be very apparent if at all, good if you still watch regular TV. Not so good if you are expecting the TV to look a lot better with higher quality content.

8. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I honestly think that the Samsung 55nu8000 has your name on it. You can currently buy it for £729 with a free 4k blu-ray player. It is a good bet if you don't need hdr capability.

9. UKTVSi

UKTVSi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    agree....I just purchased this bundle from John lewis....still playing with settings but would fully recommend it! Even if you dont watch much 4K.....the upscaling of HD content is excellent!

10. rykard

rykard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    they had a samsung in the showroom and the colours seemed too bright.

11. UKTVSi

UKTVSi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    very difficult to get a true picture in a shop showroom.....they often have all the settings turned up max for impact!....I was searching/researching for weeks before I went with the 55nu8000 and found the samsung to be one of the best at this price point...current prices mean you get good value for money...best wishes with your search! ;)

12. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    This is so true about viewing in the showroom. Personally I found what you see (and often what the guys tell you) as next to useless. This set really is about as good as it will get at this price point and with the free player it is an appealing deal.

13. rykard

rykard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lol, starting to think I will stick with the tumble dryer..

14. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Honestly, I have found TV purchasing to be a bit of a 'down the rabbit hole' experience. IMHO you need to be really clear on what your budget and usage is and that will then pretty much determine which set you should buy. Unfortunately there is no perfect TV whether you are spending £300 or £3000. Remember, though, there are likely to be much better deals in a couple of months especially on the higher end sets/OLEDS.

15. rykard

rykard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    excuse my ignorance, but why will there be better deals in a couple of months?

16. UKTVSi

UKTVSi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The newer models come out and shops likely will drop prices to remove old stock...its all about timing!;) I could have waited to buy the 55NU8000 but I needed a 4k blu ray player and John lewis were offering one free with the TV....In a month or two I might have got the tv cheaper but couldnt guarantee the "bundle offer" would still be available so getting a free 4k player meant my "overall" cost meant it was worth buying now...The 55nu8000 was closer to £1000 mid 2018 so prices come down all the time....its about buying just before they sell out!;)

17. mm94210

mm94210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    So nothing is certain, however, the new sets for 2019 are starting to be announced and therefore traditionally spring is when the previous years models will be at their lowest prices (or on par with BF). One thing to bear in mind with the 55nu8000 is that the free player may not be included at that time so potentially the best deal might be right now on that set. Everything is educated guess work though.

18. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    LG WebOS is far better than Android for sure, as for content unless you plan on using any 4K or HDR content going forward then I would wait but for the distance you will need a 65" model, maybe the NU8000 would be a good option, or U7A, it's always best to wait and go bigger if you can.

General Buying Tips

19. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,966
  20. rykard

rykard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like we missed the boat on the LG , it's gone up £150.
    After reading all the articles linked to above, i think I am more confused than ever...

I am not an AV enthusiast, just a normal Joe doing a bit of research... The TV will be connected to an Onkyo amp with inputs from the sky+ box, sony blu ray and fire stick and output to Kef speakers.

We are planning a trip to richer sounds, maybe later..

What are the questions I should be asking, as 'I should never trust a salesman'?

21. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    All I can say is take your time and don't rush into a decision, unless you really need to e.g replacement.

Dodge's article regarding salesmen, it's pretty accurate, around 20 years ago it never used to be like this, most were in-partial, but things changed within a lot of stores our-sourcing salesmen that are now employed by the manufacturer directly, and certain retailers back certain products, for e.g RS seem to be pushing LG more currently, Dixons International are very firmly Samsung, John Lewis seem to be a mix of LG, Samsung and Sony. Hisense are trying to make a name for themselves as well by undercutting a lot of the rivals, for instance the U7A is being sold way under it's expected RRP.