1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

went to an x box launch party

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by stewarthollyhead, Nov 23, 2001.

1. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope I Dont offend anyone here but went to the XBOX preview party in London recently and I must say that I was completely unimpressed by the x-box.

Their key title HALO reminded me of an uninspired Turok, the multiplayer was ok but it really is just the same old same old. Infact that what all the software said to me - seen it before. Platformers where you collect things, racing games with few new features. etc etc

ALso the speed of some of the games was unimpressive, framerates were good but actually felt quite bored when "racing" round the tracks at what appeared like 10mph (though it said 90mph on the screen).

The graphics are ofcourse very reminiscent of PC technology, smooth but fairly limited in terms of effects (the gamecube seems to me to take home the prize on this front).

The last points will ensure I get laughed at, the machine just felt souless. I know thats a daft thing to say but I felt no urge to explore on it. Finally, the machine is big and bulky just under size of a vcr.

Make of all this what you will but my money is on Gamecube if Nintendo finally sort themselves out...

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,673
    See the recent news item on HCC. It's a mid-range PC. If you already have a PC, there is absolutely no point in getting one.

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually Spectre I disagree with your last point. Xbox is plug n play, PC is not. It goes on your TV, PCs rarely do apart from people like us.

It has the support of many Japanese Console Software Developers which the PC does not and of course it is home to one of the most stunning fighting games ever Dead or Alive 3 which the PC is sadly not.

It is a different animal to a PC whilst sharing the same parts. Bit like the Rock+ vs a HTPC only in this case the Xbox is cheaper (by far) than a PC good enough to run the same level of software.

Regards Jenz.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PC in my living room but there are several problems.

1. I don't want cables trailing across the room to the telly.

2. My graphics card does not have a TV out and to get one thats as good as the Xbox would cost nearly as much or more as the console.

3. The Xbox runs modified XP and the developers know what drivers etc. are being used. How many times have PC users had problems running one game or another?

4. When my missus is on Tomb Raider etc. all night I may want to be surfing.

5. I use my PC for work which means it can't be tied up playing games.

6. I don't have a DVD drive in me PC, another £100 or so.

7. My PC is 10 metres from the sofa, can you get a game controller with a lead that long?

I'm sure you could find an answer to all the above but whats the point? THe Xbox is a one purpose machine that happens to be built around PC parts. This does not make it a PC, just like a PC is not a console. I havn't seen one so I'm not defending it against PS2 etc, just saying that you can't compare a PC to a console.

S

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've given up on PC games altogether, due to the PC being the worst machine for playing games on. Sure, games made for the PC may be fantastic, but when the hardware used to play them is so often as incompetent and unsuitable for games as the PC in my opinion is, this is irrelevant. A console is by far the best choice for any games player. Sure the XBox takes the PC's power and make up, but it uses it simply for games, and not for everything else a PC does that can so often result in conflicting software/hardware problems and systematic crashing and the need for downloaded patches.

The XBox is going to be a massive leap forward. Don't blame poor looking launch games on the machine. This will always be the case with any new console, allowing time for developers to truly get to grips with a machine's capabilities. It's unwise to judge any machine until at least eighteen months after its launch.

6. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    HALO's fps goes down to as little as 5fps in some places. This is due to the porting from what was initially a game designed for a high end PC with lots more Ram requirements. The X-Box obviously could not handle it.

I agree with Spectre on the X-Box being a midrange PC and anyone with a P3 or Athlon TB along with a GeForce card should not bother.

HALO will be on PC soon and will have a much better online play and will look much better on high end PCs.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But what if I want to play games on my 32" TV in 5.1 DD sound from the comfort of my sofa? How much aggro do I have to go through to achieve that on my PC. What if someone wants to use the PC at the same time? What if the download accelerator or the plug ins I have conflict with the games I buy? It DOES happen all the time unless your PC is a dedicated games machine with no other software. If so, an X Box is cheaper and more convenient.

I think we need to stop looking at it as a PC. It's a console and should be judged against the competition regardless of how it works inside. I'm not defending it cuz I havn't seen one yet so don't think I'm an xbox fan. Probly get a PS2 when I can be bothered.S:rolleyes:

S

8. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110

What if someone wants to watch TV?:confused:

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's my TV so they can sling their 'ook.:devil:

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't see why anyone would prefer to play games on a PC instead of a console. A PC is just far too expensive, unreliable and limited for games. I'd only consider using a PC for games if I had two and it was purposely built for playing games, and the other one I could use for everything a PC is supposed to be used for. A dedicated games PC is an unnecessary idea next to a games console.

I have a PC that is far superior in power to the XBox, but there's no way I'm playing games on my computer because they are totally incompetent games machines. I will be playing games on my XBox, PS2 and Gamecube (one day) on my 32" widescreen TV with digital surround sound (where possible). I won't be trying to configure and fix my PC's hardware and software conflictions and errors so I can play a game so much more suited to a console on a 14" screen.

Yes I'm totally against PC gaming. PC's can play games, but when you have consoles, what's the point?

11. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I suppose the Gamecube and PS2 would handle it with ease!
    Bear in mind any first gen titles for any console can suffer from slowdowns.

BTW: The Xbox has a lot of memory, which is shared between the graphics and system, plus it can use the hard disk drive as a memory cache.

Midrange! more like High Spec PC as the Xbox has a Geforce 3 and the Intel Pentium 3 Chipset, also the Xbox has its own Kernel, so it does not have to share its system resources.

Anne

12. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,673
    Yes, midrange. P4 2000s or Athon XPs are now high range. Not a PIII 733. And I don't call 64 meg of ram and a 10 gig disk high-end.
    A gig of memory and a 40Gig disk, maybe...
    Although it does use the Pioneer 106s DVD ROM which is. as I understand it, the HCPC enthusiast's drive of choice.

13. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The XBox is not a midrange PC. Neither is it high or low range. It is not a PC.

It will not run PC software. It will not crash, breakdown or corrupt itself (unless in the small percent of inevitably faulty). It does not cost the price of a small car to purchase.

The XBox is not a PC. It is a games console. It will be reliable, and all its power will be dedicated to games. A 10Gb hard disk is massive when used simply for games saves and a few bonus features. There's no operating system or software to install on it. There's no need to install games and download patches. You put in a game, and you play it.

It's a major sign of ignorance to pass off the XBox as a PC for playing games. In eighteen months time, the XBox will be challenging the PS2 as the greatest games machine out there. The PC will simply be crashing or demanding extra money to be spent on an upgrade. I know which I prefer.

14. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe it or not, halo recieved a perfect 10/10 score in this months issue of EDGE. Only three games have ever scored that. Mario 64, Zelda 64 and gran turismo 1.

You can't judge it on a 10 minute go. They have played it for 50-60 hours before reviewing it.

My one concern with the machine is the reception it will get in Japan. If it fails there, then it's unlikely to get the support from the best japensese developers and therefore fail to be an attractive prospect.

15. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, the Xbox is not a PC.

If people wan't to say that the Xbox is a PC becuase of the way it is designed, then they also need to say the PS2 and Gamecube are also PCs.

The Gamecube uses a custom IBM Power PC processor and the PS2 uses a Sony CPU.
    All the consoles have a motherboard, a CPU and FPU.

BTW: Did anyone read todays mirror, the Xbox scored more than the PS2, and would have beating it even more if it were not down to the vast choice of PS2 titles and the size of the Xbox

Anne

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly,I also agree it's not a PC and certainly not a midrange one. The fact that it gives developers a static platform means like all consoles it is greater than the sum of its parts. Devs can optimise their code to run on this one configuration. I don't care what kind of mammoth PC you have, unless a game was written to only work on a machine with that much power, you're not taking full advantage of it. The fact that it comes with a built in HD opens up huge possibilities for the future when devs begin to use it imaginatively. The PS2 on the other hand are releasing a HD add on, which immediately takes away the console advantage of it being a static one size fits all platform. What I find strange is the amount of people who call the Xbox a PC when it's Sony who are the ones releasing upgrades (HD and broadband adapter) not to mention a version of Linux to run on the PS2.
    BTW, kudos to Chipworks or whatever they're called on their "reverse engineering". Admitedly I didn't follow the link to the full story but the bit in the news section reads identically to the spec released by Microsoft except they got the OS wrong, it's a cut down version of 2000, not XP. I have read that the LCD displays being used at the Xbox events don't do the thing justice. I've played one on regular TV's and I think it looks great, certainly better than the PS2 games at the moment and completely blows away any of the PS2 launch titles. I haven't seen a Gamecube yet so I can't compare, I do have one on it's way to me at the moment though.
    PS. Halo running at 5FPS is a blatent lie.

17. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110

This is total and utter crap.

I have a PSX, N64 and DC as well as my PC.

90% of my gaming time is on my PC.

Counterstrike, Deux Ex, Black & White, Max Payne and Operation Flashpoint to name the more prominant ones.

18. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110

Taken from HERE

Halo's graphics are well done, and we can say that they're the best console FPS graphics we've seen. There is good use of bump mapping and pixel shaders throughout the game, a rich variety of colorful and high-resolution textures and specular lighting effects. Nonetheless, a fast PC with a GeForce2 or Radeon 7500 can reproduce the graphics, especially at TV resolutions. During co-op mode, we've noticed the framerate drop into the teens in rare occasions - perhaps as low as 10 fps. We saw the framerate drop once (in the entire game) to approximately 5 fps. The sluggish frame rate episodes are rare and last only for a few seconds, though the game's target is 30fps. Thanks to the game's very design, low framerate isn't as big of a problem as it would be in a purely deathmatch-oriented game; however it was an unfortunate result of transferring Halo from the target machine of a "high-end PC" to the Xbox.

19. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very constructive.

If you re-read my posting, you will notice that nowhere does it say 'Ono, and everyone else, cannot see any reason why anyone would prefer to play games on a PC instead of a console'. It actually says 'I don't see any reason...'. I have not made any sweeping statement, only one that relates to my own opinion, and I expect many other people to disagree with it. I have made it quite clear that this is just my opinion, and make no demand that anyone who is happy using their PC as a games machine (though I cannot see why you would want to myself) change their views.

I welcome a sharing of your opinion. I would not dismiss it as total and utter crap. I would like to think my opinion would have been shown the same respect.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all apologies about the blatent lie comment, there was no need for it. Secondly, your origional post (above) IMO is a bit misleading, especially if you're using the firing squad article as your reference material. They talk about the frame rate dipping to as little as 5 (which I'd take with a pinch of salt anyway) once in the entire game in the CO-op made, so to then say the Xbox just cannot handle it is very harsh. I'm yet to read a review that have said frame rate issues detract from this game although I'll admit I've read a few that say it can dip at times (very rarely though).

21. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont use the excuse of games being poor because they are launch games.

its an insult to gamers and consumers to release cak games with a console- not the best way to gain market share! Sony have made the same mistake with PS2.

Just look at the stunning launch games with GameCube- if the middleware and hardware is well designed you can have stunning launch games.

Ive got a US one, and Rogue Squadron II, Monkey Ball, Wave Race and even Fifa 2002 are quite staggering and its no exaggeration for me to say that Ive never seen anything like it.

Forget X-Box- its a lazy attempt by Microsoft the graphics card isnt even state of the art- and that the heart of a games console. If MS had been serious theydve designed somthing special from scratch.

22. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Halo review proves what I have been saying that Microsoft do not know how to design a console- yeah GeForce cards can chuck out loads of polys but are not so good when you start using lighting and mapping effects.

Same goes for PS2- in comparison Nintendo designed GC to run at at least a constant 30fps with 7-15 m/polys pers sec with full effects on- quite amazing considering thats with 8 (X-box only does 2) layers of texture mapping.

And for 100 quid less.....LOL!

23. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh er one other thing- I too have a PC, and love it, Championship Manager, Galactic Battlegrounds and UT are superb but none are suited to a console- UT maybe but it really needs mouse and keyboard.

Oh and is the X-Box controller horrible or what- again more evidence that Microsoft hasnt put much thought into the design of the console, in contrast the GC controller is gorgeous and melts into your hand.

Oh btw- get PES2 on PS2 its amazing. Almost makes me regret selling my old PS2.

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Same goes for PS2- in comparison Nintendo designed GC to run at at least a constant 30fps with 7-15 m/polys pers sec with full effects on- quite amazing considering thats with 8 (X-box only does 2) layers of texture mapping."

I'm fairly sure Xbox does 4 simultaneous textures not 2.

Just got my GC by the way with wave race and RS. Was a bit unsure of RS at first but am now completely hooked. Love the controller, but have had a few people think it was too small. Just shows, you can't really slam a controller, some will like it, some won't. I personally like the Xbox controller (it's like the dreamcast which I love) and can't stand the PS dual shock.