Wenger to leave

damo09

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just said on various outlets. Hes to step down at the end of the season

Viera favourite to get the job but that would be a mistake imo, I think Rafa should be given the job.

He would stop the defence leaking goals and they have some very good players in midfield and attack.

With a couple of defenders and a new goalie they would be back competing for top 4 under Rafa imo.

Totally time for him to go, should have been years ago when he could have left on a high, still a chance this will boost the players into giving it all (Because they really have not been) and him going out with the Europa League as a farewell gift.

And I agree with YNWA1892 that Rafa could be a brilliantly astute managerial choice.....so naturally we probably will be going with Viera.

Is there any word on Sam Allardyce doing the same by any chance?

His Arsenal side played some of the best football , over a very long period , seen in the EPL ... At times it was breathtaking, played the Barca way before Barca themselves did.

3 EPL 7 FA CUPS etc so not to shabby... Kept the team competitive despite the financing of the marvellous Emirates Stadium .

The EPL will be the poorer for his absence ... as for his replacement Eddie Howe or Jocham Lowe are my hunch .. as for Brendan Rodgers being the bookies and Talk Wickes favourite for the job ... as the Scotsman said I don't believe it.

Totally time for him to go, should have been years ago when he could have left on a high, still a chance this will boost the players into giving it all (Because they really have not been) and him going out with the Europa League as a farewell gift.

And I agree with YNWA1892 that Rafa could be a brilliantly astute managerial choice.....so naturally we probably will be going with Viera.
It would be a much bigger step forward if the major shareholder and Gazidis had left...

Interesting times lay ahead! cant wait til the new manager gets rid of all the deadwood

Since the Wenger era, the club that I support has had a really tough time against Arsenal, both home and away. Only a handful of games I can remember us beating the gunners in all the time he's been the gaffer.

What I will be doing though is wishing him well in these last few games in charge and I hope for all the flack he's got off their fan base these past few years he ends his illustrious stint with that Europa League Cup trophy.

They'll be begging him back in 3 years time :D

Don't know if it has been brought up in other threads on here but been reading and hearing about the prospect of Arteta taking over from Wenger. Will Arsenal supporters be satisfied with a rookie replacing someone of Wenger's stature? Seems like a risky and bizarre appointment to me. Met him in Glasgow when he was at Rangers and he seemed nice but reserved. From other stories I've heard (people at Rangers at the time he was there) he was an introverted and somewhat distant character. Could have changed in the intervening years but he doesn't come across as authoritative or inspiring. Had good intelligence on the pitch and the technique to match so hopefully that'll help him coach players (not always a certainty though).

Difficult to see him succeeding at Arsenal given the challenges they face in the EPL. You'd expect him to be appointed alongside an experienced assistant, but who will fancy staking their reputation on the fortunes of an untested manager at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Who will be in charge of signing players? That's one of the most difficult aspects of club management and Arteta has no experience of navigating the vagaries and pitfalls of the transfer market. Even experienced managers who move into international management say that one of the best changes to their role in moving from club to country management is the fact that they don't have to worry and stress over transfers and scouting.

Audacious move from Arsenal but one that will probably end in tears. (I'm sure I wrote the exact same thing about Gerrard's move to Rangers!)

Suggestions Arteta (lol) will imminently be announced as Arsenal's new coach. My hunch tells me it's a bad choice and will likely prove disastrous.

It's definitely a gamble. Whether Arsenal can really afford to gamble right now I don't know. I do respect them for taking a different approach tho. It would have been much easier for them to throw money at a big name. And aside from Pep and (arguably) Jose, there really are no sure things when it comes to appointing managers

To replace Wenger you need to have a proven top class manager,and arteta certainly isn't that. Benitez would be a much better choice if arsenal couldn't get or didn't want to pay for Allegri and to give him enough funding for him to compete for top honours.

No reason to go to arsenal from Juve ,much better to stay put and take Juve to another scuddeto and have a good chance of winning champions league.

Just think it's a mistake replacing Wenger for someone untested like arteta. Imo i think its a insult to get rid of wenger and have someone untested like arteta to come in. Personally getting arteta in shows a lack of ambition.

To replace Wenger you need to have a proven top class manager,and arteta certainly isn't that. Benitez would be a much better choice if arsenal couldn't get or didn't want to pay for Allegri and to give him enough funding for him to compete for top honours.

No reason to go to arsenal from Juve ,much better to stay put and take Juve to another scuddeto and have a good chance of winning champions league.

Just think it's a mistake replacing Wenger for someone untested like arteta. Imo i think its a insult to get rid of wenger and have someone untested like arteta to come in. Personally getting arteta in shows a lack of ambition.

Disagree. Putting in a well known figure just because that’s what is the norm is something Arsenal don’t need. They need a change, something that will alter the club and get them back to the position they deserve.

Look at Pep Guardiola for example.
He became Manager of Barcelona at just 37. He had only managed the B team before.
I bet there were many unhappy comments about his appointment back then, people saying a club like Barcelona should have a recognised figure, but he is still their most successful manager. He then went on to do the same at Bayern Munich.

We are then considering Arteta who has worked under Pep since 2016. That seems like damn good experience to me.

If Arsenal do choose a recognised Manager I can see them not lasting the season, as expectations will be so high, they will only fail.

It's much better to put someone in with zero expectations, if they do well then they will look good. If they fail miserably they can replace quickly and easily.

It's always going to be difficult to follow Wenger, just like it was for Moyes at United.

I personally think Benitez would have been perfect.

Hopefully Arteta's managerial career isn't over before it's really begun.

I think arteta is a good choice. Its not that weve won the prem league/europa last few years. Hes got nothing to prove. I think a top 4 finish is a must tho. Amd perhaps a change of formation. Id go 4.1.3.2 aubama raasclaat yamg and laca bludclat zette would rip defences to bits.

Are Arsenal planning on signing some Thundercats?

Who, or what, is a bludclat?

I'm now warming to the idea but mostly because it's something new & exciting rather a logical solution forwards.

In fact, after 22-years of certainty & familiarity & predictability, Arsenal doing something strikingly 'illogical' is actually welcomed.

What did I just read? Lol

I don't think Arsenal are in a position right now to demand a top 4 finish from any manager. That top 4 is very competitive. And given the investment the other sides will no doubt make, it really will be tough for Arsenal to get back in there I think. They need to be patient and rebuild. Might take a couple of years, but as always I doubt the manger will be afforded that

I think it's certainly worthwhile considering an ex-player who played at a high level under world-class management and has since moved into coaching alongside one of the sports greatest ever managers, even more so if he has actually managed at some point during his coaching career even if it's at the unders level (Guardiola, Zidane, Gerrard, etc).

But is someone like Arteta the best candidate to replace a legendary manager and mount a challenge to return Arsenal to CL football? I guess it depends who else is interested or offered the job. It's a good point too about how unrealistic expectations can lead to even experienced managers getting the sack because they can't meet the demands set by historical precedent and fans who want instant success (Man Utd in recent times, Liverpool at points in the past, Chelsea, etc). Will Arsenal fans be more or less patient with Arteta if he gets off to a rocky start? More because he's a rookie and he could come good or less for the same reason and people begin to panic?

Read that the expensively-acquired scout from Dortmund and the former director of football at Barcelona will be the ones assisting Arteta in the transfer market. That makes sense and should prove helpful to a manager who's unfamiliar with the transfer system. Just think they need to cough up more than £50m if they want to get back into the CL.

Edit - Also some speculation that Artera insists on restructuring the club's medical department which has already led to their chief physio losing his job (Lewin, I think).

Arsenal aren't suddenly going to be top 4 again with any manager, without significant investment that is and clearing out of the deadwood.

A new manager isn't going to just wave a magic wand and make the clodhoppers turn into world stars.

Arteta would be a good choice and could help a 2-3 year turnaround of the team, but will the fans put up with not having instant success? That unfortunately is the way of football now. Alex Ferguson would have been sacked long before he ever became the legend he was if he was starting out in today's climate.

It's a shame as a team needs time to rebuild with the same manager in place. Which I'm not sure will happen anymore.

Arsenal aren't suddenly going to be top 4 again with any manager, without significant investment that is and clearing out of the deadwood.

A new manager isn't going to just wave a magic wand and make the clodhoppers turn into world stars.

Arteta would be a good choice and could help a 2-3 year turnaround of the team, but will the fans put up with not having instant success? That unfortunately is the way of football now. Alex Ferguson would have been sacked long before he ever became the legend he was if he was starting out in today's climate.

It's a shame as a team needs time to rebuild with the same manager in place. Which I'm not sure will happen anymore.

I agree that Arsenal are unlikely to be in contention for a CL with their current squad even if a Guardiola, Allegri, Simeone, etc took over and didn't have cash to spend on at least three or four top players.

Regardless of Arteta's coaching experience, I don't think he has the managerial credentials to be confident enough to say that he is a good choice. He could be of course. But so could a number of managers with actual experience and they'd presumably stand a greater chance of achieving a CL spot than a novice. Consistency at getting results at the top level is something managers have difficulties maintaining, especially ones who are new to it or caretaker managers. Basically Arsenal stand a better chance of short and long-term success with an experienced and successful manager at the helm, e.g. Allegri or Simeone. Arteta having no successes or failures to compare against those types of managers doesn't mean that he stands an equal chance of achieving the same as them. Ex players like Roy Keane, Ince, Tony Adams, to name just a few, in theory, should have been top managers given their pedigree and playing careers but most of them ended up failing or settling for mediocrity. On the other side of the fence a small group of top ex players have made their mark on management (Pep, Diego Simeone, Zidane).

From the looks of it Arsenal are putting in place an infrastructure that should help Arteta adjust to management. Experienced people like the Dortmund scout, the ex Barca DoF, a new medical team should really help him out with the complexities and demands of modern management.

How long has he been away from Arsenal? A few years? Presumably some of the same faces are still hanging around the Arsenal changing room. Depending on his previous relationship with those players the need for authority and respect could be a difficult one to elicit from them. But I think I'm right in saying he was their captain for a while so perhaps that's already a given.

I just don't think his appointment can be called anything other than a gamble (I felt the same way about Giggs when there was talk of him getting anywhere near the Man Utd job) with a lower prospect of success than other managers who may have been up for the job.

Edit - Assuming Arteta wasn't their first choice (he might have been) I wonder if guys like Allegri were put off by the prospect of working with a hobbled budget coupled with the demands of the directors and supporters.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom