1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wenger questions Champions League

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by neilo, May 6, 2005.

1. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  2. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger:
    "If you finish second you can say that you're definitely in the Champions League next year.
    "But if you finish third, you cannot say that, you are only in the qualifying round.

"It's important to finish second as the qualifying round of the Champions League becomes tougher every year."

Then he says this

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Couldn't get the page up neilo! :( To be honest, Wenger and I don't agree on a lot of things. The FA cup being one of them................ :mad: Sadly, he's in the Ferguson school talking ******s for fun.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    He doesn't have any problems getting into FA cup finals which have a greater luck factor since the rounds are single matches and you can get drawn away. No Arsene, the reason for the CL failures is that your team isn't good enough.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    No, it's because he plays the wrong system, (ie one the players aren't happy with, and don't look happy with) year in year out.

6. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good enough to win...
    League championship 1998, 2002, 2004. F.A. Cup winners 1998, 2002, 2003. Voted 'Manager of the Year' 1998, 2002, 2004. not to mention the team with the longest unbeaten run ever!!!

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Yes a good domestic side, but no international class.

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    :boring:

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Edu

10. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Who cares what he thinks........? Since he wants away anyway (if they don't give him a fat contract) and that's smacks of his reason for outing?

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Oh, and before and Liverpool fans comment, yes I do think Wengers comments on Liverpools qualification were foolish in the extreme. They got there, get over it m8. :rolleyes:

12. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    See my comments in the other thread mate, I've just typed something that sort of agrees with Wenger :eek: Although I do think his comments were badly timed and smack of being a poor loser ;)

13. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO both Wenger and Ferguson are very sore losers (more so Ferguson). For too long both have had there own way, and next season I see Chelsea pulling even further away. Ferguson should have quit when he planned too, and Wenger would do best to concentrate on his own side.

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    its all about money as always, they got rid of the cup winners cup because it wasn't drawing in any money, and had to expand the uefa cup to ridiculous size to accept all the cup winners as well as the teams that qualified from their league position, so it was only natural they increased the size of the champions league to take the strain off the uefa cup, and also because the champions league is where the television money is, and in that respect it's the more, the merrier.

What i don't agree with (and if this isn't the case, please let me know) is that a team 3rd place in England goes into the same qualifying round as the champions of Scotland. OK so the Scottish league isn't as good, but the champions should still qualify automatically!

15. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    correct. Scottish football is the pits, BUT surely the champions would go straight in rather than qualify and watch runners up from other countries pass them by. I suppose its not about that anymore though. TV dictates that a Man Utd or Arsenal is better value than a Celtic or Rangers (who would probably get knocked out early anyway). It's not the point though, champions ar champions after all, and surely have the right to contest the UEFA Champions League from the off.
    I would say that all Champions of domestic leagues go straight in, and let the runner ups contest the qualifying rounds.

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    this should definitely be the case. according to the Football Manager computer game (which apparently gets its data from real sources) teams get given £2.7m for entering into the group stage, £220k per win and £110k per draw, plus further money for qualifying from the group, so surely the champions of even the smallest country deserve that windfall for winning their domestic league? Perhaps you might argue that Chelsea deserve the £2.7m more because they had to contend with better teams to get into the Champions League, but surely in contrast, doesn't a small team deserve to receive more money for a win or a draw in european competition than a team like Chelsea? Taking this into account, it all evens itself out, and its still not fair to see for instance, a team that finished 30 points lower than the champions (Everton) having as much of a chance as the champions of any country.

17. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Mr Wenger prefers leagues above cup competitions... This Mr Wenger is the European league based on the last 5 years performances. :hiya:

1 Real Madrid
    2 Valencia
    3 AC Milan
    4 FC Barcelona
    5 Liverpool
    6 Manchester United
    7 Internazionale
    8 Bayern München
    9 Deportivo La Coruña
    10 Arsenal
    11 FC Porto
    12 Juventus
    13 PSV Eindhoven
    14 Olympique Lyon
    15 Newcastle United
    16 AS Roma
    17 AC Parma
    18 Panathinaikos
    19 Lazio
    20 Chelsea

18. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    I would say the champions goes into the champions leauge and everybody else down to 3rd place only goes into a UEFA (cup) leauge. The cup winners and those those not good enough to finish top three go into a new format perhaps an inter toto effort. That way there would be a good spread of clubs in European competitions benefiting everyone. Success would go back to being based on merit not money. Allowing money to dictate has seen football (which I was under the illusion it was all about) get worse, and worse, internationally.

Scotland is case in point. Once, the Scottish clubs in the old European cup, could scare the pants off the "big boys" - and play good football too. Now with the CL, they're just whipping boys.

The old lack of 'strength in depth' doesn't wash either, as the Dutch leauge is utter crap apart from the top three, and yet PSV and Ajax have done pretty darn well in the CL in recent years.

19. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    :clap:

Exactly like I see it also. If the above system was in place... with maybe ven the cup winners cup coming back for league cup winners... then we would have some seriouscompetition within the domestic leagues all over europe as well increased competion within fa and league cups. An all round meatier season.

As for scottish football, I went to Ibrox yesterday and watched my team go top of the league again :clap: However, many rangers and celtic fans are only wanting their team too win the domestic league to get one over on their rivals. European football is attractive and Ibrox and Parkhead puton a show and havethe facilities to rival the world allover, but the qualifying stage is tough because you dont just have the league winners to contest but the other top teams in there also. Which means that we have an outside chance of even getting to europe despite winning our league!!

Wrong... yes I would think.

20. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Perhaps Arsenal should suggest it at the next G14 meeting, be quick about it though because I can see Chelsea taking your place in the g14.

21. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As I understand it this group is a bit of a closed shop - membership is by invitation and I think requires unanimous approval. I have this feeling that Chelsea have not made themselves best friends with some of the current members. Maybe an invitation to this party has been lost in the post.

There is no chance of any new member outing an existing one. Any new members would just make it the G15, G16, G17,.......

Edit - In fact the G14 already has 18 members (!!) with Arsenal being amongst the newest 4 additions. http://www.g14.com/G14accueil/index.asp