1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well there goes Arcam

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by XL5, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. XL5

XL5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Grab the last of the last before Samsung squeeze out that Arcam sound.....

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,817
    Samsung is the parent company of Harman International which owns Revel speakers, Harmon Kardon, JBL, and other companies.

It is Harman that bought ARCAM. Harman is a company that specializes in Audio Products. I don't see this being a big compromise to Arcam sound.

Samsung acquires Harman -

Samsung Electronics Completes Acquisition of HARMAN

Harman acquires Arcam -

Arcam acquired by Harman, a division of Samsung

Harman International Industries -

Harman International | Connected Car | Lifestyle Audio Solutions

AKG, Harman/Kardon, Infinity speakers, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson Amps, Revel Speakers, Crown Amps, and so on ....

Steve/bluewizard

3. XL5

XL5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Well we'll see but big corporations like to streamline and economise egging future releases of products that do not compete with each other but sit side by side as natural upgrades. Maranta - Denon, Onkyo - Pioneer etc.. It might be just me but I think the latest Pioneer sc-lx 301/501/701 etc are not of the quality of the previous incarnations.
    As the Borg say "you will be assimilated"

4. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    I think it good news as R&D resources will vastly increase along with access to markets. So should be good news.

5. XL5

XL5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    The companies listed above under the Samsung umbrella so to speak are mostly American based companies with an American sound and heretage, I hope I'm mistaken and the Arcam sound will remain but time will tell.

6. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    Reading between the line and the amount of consolidation going on right now, the alternatives are far worse.

So hopefully they can maintain their sound and principals

7. XL5

XL5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I agree but it is sad that we are losing these independent premium inovators but hopefully not their identity.

8. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Basically Samsung used to be rubbish when it came to making sound products, however if you look at the latest sound bars etc. they sound great and get top reviews, why, because they now use a research arm that is dedicated to getting high quality sound out of their products. (Dumbing down is no longer for Samsung, so it’s unlikely they will dumb down Arcam, it wouldn’t surprise me if future Samsung products came with Dirac Live)

Bill

9. XL5

XL5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Like I say time will tell

10. leeed342

leeed342

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I disagree. Arcam were once a small, quality driven company that was 100% committed to decent sound. Samsung are part of a large global concern that mass produces cheap rubbish. Soundbars and plastic speakers are incapable of producing sound that amazes. Arcam will be diluted over the coming years, and I wouldn't be surprised if the brand disappears. Such a shame, but it must be very difficult to survive as a stand alone British hi fi company in today's marketplace.

11. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Arcam have always been predominantly a hardware company but have struggled in the past with the software side of things. Partnering with other teams and sharing technology is likely to only make the products better and more user friendly.

Arcam have also been known to use cheap components and had some questionable hardware decisions like the over volted boards in the AVR300/350. Economies of scale allow Samsung to produce products that are more affordable, obviously each product is made to a certain price point but they are certainly not cheap rubbish.

This is probably a good thing for Arcam and hopefully their products get better for it.

12. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    IMO nothing special with Arcam sound or its overpriced AVRs, etc.maybe under Harman they will become better value.

13. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    Samsung Electronics (part of the Samsung group) are the world's second largest IT company, and a major supplied of components for other "manufacturers". Your iPhone is powered by Samsung electronics, not just your Galaxy. My Loewe UHD TV uses a Samsung panel, likely yours does to (if not you probably have an LG panel).

Wikipedia:

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Harmon brands all have a good reputation and all stand alone while sharing technologies.

And don't forget: Arcam have not been an independent company for a long time. First owned by Venture Capitalists, then lately by (iirc) JAM Industries.

15. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,858
    Don't think there's any reason for doom & gloom, quite the opposite.
    Hopefully this will lead to products that look like they come from the 21st century with modern features that actually work properly.

16. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,817
    Keep in mind that is not Samsung that bought Arcam, it is Harman International which is a company that specializes is some of the finest audio equipment in the world. The list of brands under Harman are well regarded long enduring brands. It is true only time will tell, but I don't personally see this as a huge problem.

How long as Arcam existed, and how old does that make the founder? No one can work forever, sooner or later we all need to retire, some later than others, but it is inevitable. Usually when a company like this is sold, it is because the founding members are up in their 70's and ready to hang it up.

Today, most of the audio brands are owned by a collective parent company - Denon/Marantz owned by the same company, Wharfedale/Quad owned by the same company, etc.... I don't see Harman as being a parent company that is going to mis-managed a brand that they paid good money for.

Steve/bluewizard

17. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    +1
    Incase you were unaware... Harmon International's list of brands include such companies as Lexicon, Revel (speakers) and Mark Levinson as well as more "professional" audio/visual brands. Looked at dispassionately Arcam are a good fit.
    No sure if you were being rhetorical in the question there ... but for those who don't know Arcam (or more accurately A & R Cambridge) was founded in 1972 (45 years ago) by John Dawson who had recently graduated putting him in his early 20s then. The first commercial product the A60 amp came out in 1976. John Dawson is (or at least prior to the sale to Harmon International was) still involved in the company designing products, etc. but the company has been out of his hands since the early to mid 2000s (IIRC) first under the ownership of venture capitalists (again IIRC) and lately owned by JAM Industries of Montreal.

another +1 ... even brands such as Naim are part of larger organisations now.

18. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +716
    A glass half empty person then?

19. XL5

XL5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    ??
    If you mean i'm looking at it from a doom and gloom perspective not at all. I do have some reservations one being the economics of good competition and what it can bring to the market.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  20. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +716
    How does Harman buying Arcam reduce competition in the markets Arcam operated in? Arcam are such a small player in their market that some decent investment and R&D support can only be an improvement. Arcam being such a small player and the cost of developing increasingly complex software driven audio products would have killed them in the end. They were already showing signs of this with more and more reports of products that did not fully deliver on their promised specification - as reported on these forums.

21. XL5

XL5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Big or small good and bad, competition drives innovation and prices down. If take overs follow their ultimate path then prices will rise and products will suffer and who cares? Not the big corporation who owns all of these brands who've taken your hard earned, they will say put up or shut up....

Basic economics....