Well that took long !!

Ethan2000

Established Member
Reaction score
I read this earlier and it bought a little "I told you so" smile to my face.

"Recent hardware sales figures for Japan reveal that the PS3 has sold more than 187,000 consoles since its launch on November 17 - already trouncing Xbox 360, which has only managed to sell 110,000 units in the past year.

Oh dear. We all knew gamers in the Far East weren't too hot on the American-made console, but it still comes as quite a swiftly-dealt blow. But our friends over at PSW magazine are happy again.

Still, at least the original Xbox is still selling - an astonishing 11 consoles were swiped off shelves by terrifyingly eager Japanese gamers in the week of November 27 to December 3. Yes, ELEVEN! It's unstoppable."

And thats why the PS3 will outsell any other console by miles, even the fantastic wii.

The Asia problem for MS is likely to put the PS3 in first place ultimatley (or the Wii in 1st place).

Agreed, you would have thought that with the head start they had, that they should have taken more of an advantage about Sony not being at the table. However with japan and asia being such a main focus for developers and sony it stands the ps3 in a very strong position.

Stats damn stats.

First off I do not own any games console but from what I do know and read the PS3 (great machine) may have sold and will ultimately outsell the XBOX 360 (great Machine) but have you totted up overall sales, it is like any games console these days, MASS sales in first few weeks and then normality sets in. XBOX was selling prior to the beginning of this year so the sales this year is the normallity selling not the I must have sales.

Stats damn stats.

Headline................

"Japenese buy lots of Sony Shock!" Are you really that suprised? MS has as good as admitted that the 360 has bombed in Japan. A mixture of a poor selection of games targeted at the Japense market and brand loyalty has meant that sales have been very poor. I think a much better comparison will be total Japan and US sales leading up to European realease of PS3. PS3 and Wii will still fight it out for top spot though.

Do we get a source for this?

oh yeah sorry, it was in the news section on C&VG website

CLICKY

MSFT have lost the plot in Japan.

The PS2 had/have tons RPGs and Dating Sims released every week! That's what that market needs and they are still not catering for them! And they expect brand loyalty in return!

Quite simply it’s pure ignorance on MSFT’s part.

“If US/Europe love these games so WILL Japan!” What an attitude problem!

Microsoft set the Final Fantasy guy up with his own studio to produce at least two exclusive RPGs for 360. One of which (blue dragon) has characters from the Dragon Quest and Dragonball artist.

I'd hardly say they weren't trying. they are just meeting massive apathy. I guess the assumption is that such games will come out on Playstation so they are waiting.

And the latest Dragon Quest Wii/DS news won't help either

Stats damn stats.

First off I do not own any games console but from what I do know and read the PS3 (great machine) may have sold and will ultimately outsell the XBOX 360 (great Machine) but have you totted up overall sales, it is like any games console these days, MASS sales in first few weeks and then normality sets in. XBOX was selling prior to the beginning of this year so the sales this year is the normallity selling not the I must have sales.

Stats damn stats.

Uh! The figures being quoted are overall sales. The 360 really has sold that few since launch.

I really dont care much for the jap market and I think MS just leave it as an afterthought, they know that Sony and Ninty will have the jap market wrapped up, MS do at least recognize that there is a market in Europe and a very large one too, this is why they are looking after this territory instead of japan, Sony and Ninty always seem to shaft Europe although Sony are far worse than Ninty.

I hope Sony learn a hrash lesson with this generation of machines as they are the most arrogant company.

According to PS2 sales the Asia market only makes up circa 20% of all sales.

The must break Asia market seems to be more of a kudos thing than actually a business necessity for the Xbox.

The far east may not be the largest market but its importance should not be underestimated, they have some of the best developers around. 360 will no doubt survive and make a profit without the far east but its highly unlikely they'll win the console war overall without a decent chunk of it.

I knew 360 wasnt doing well over there but frankly i'm shocked by those figures and the fact that ps3 has outsold them in a month! Especially when you consider the 360 is cheaper with comparable power to the ps3 and at the moment has far better games. Are japanese RPG's and oddball dating sims that important to the market? it certainly appears to be. I'm not sure i buy the whole "bias against the American console" bit as the Japanese are huge consumers of American culture (please correct me if i'm wrong and no offence).

Clearly M$ needed to flex its financial muscle and score exclusive squeenix games not an old ps2 port of ff11 which has since bombed. Iirc it was sony's acquisition of final fantasy from the clutches of nintendo that propelled playstation into the top spot (along with many other exclusive franchises). While M$ have halo as its killer app for the West it really has nothing for the far east. Nintendo has its mario's and zeldas, sony has its mascots but there really isnt much from the 360. Its a damn shame as the 360 has the power to deliver amazing Japanese type rpgs and even niche games, hell you'd have thought viva pinata would be right up their street with its cross between pokemon and harvest moon?!!

Asia may only represent 20% of sales, but Asian style games sell fairly big time outside Asia.

I know the bulk of my games are Japanese style RPG's or action (both hack-slash and stealth (DMC, MGS, Tenchu thatose kinds of things) or even the quirky (pikmin style of game).

US and European developers tend not to make these style of games to the same production value standard (sorry for the generalisation). SO even though 20% of total sales go to Asia - I'd guess over 50% of game sales worldwide derive from Asian produced/inspired games (i'm guessing these figures though so please correct me if you have concrete figures) just think of the brand power of Mario, Pokemon, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy - especially in the US.

The fact that Ninty and Sony have more of these types of games, not only helps Asian sales but also US and European sales. How many US gamers are going to get a PS3 at some point to play Metal Gear and Final Fantasy when they come out? I'd wager a lot of them.

In all aspects of the Japanese life, loyality to Japanese products is evident. Both the PS3 anf the Wii would have to be a very bad consoles for the average Japanese to defect to the 360. However there is not a big adversion to move from one Japanese product to another.

I don't think the same is true for the rest of Asia so I don't think Microsoft has as big of an issue in those countries but those markets are much smaller than Japan.

I worked for 8 years with a Japanese company and when we developed computer systems, we had to redesign the computer to use only Japanese chips (if at all possible) even if performance suffered. In many cases it didn't make any difference which company produced the chips but only that it was a Japanese company.

So what? The 360 has sold 8million units worldwide. What the hell does it matter if one particular area has only sold 110,00??? You pick an area of low sales for the 360 and high sales for the PS3 and you think thats significant? I'm sure I could find areas were the exact oposite is true if I had nothing better in my life than to worry about console sales figures.

I couldnt care less if the 360 has only sold ONE console worldwide as long as that one buyer was me because after comparing the 2 consoles the 360 is the clear winner on the gaming front imho and its games that matter to me, certainly not sales figures.

So what? The 360 has sold 8million units worldwide. What the hell does it matter if one particular area has only sold 110,00??? You pick an area of low sales for the 360 and high sales for the PS3 and you think thats significant? I'm sure I could find areas were the exact oposite is true if I had nothing better in my life than to worry about console sales figures.

I couldnt care less if the 360 has only sold ONE console worldwide as long as that one buyer was me because after comparing the 2 consoles the 360 is the clear winner on the gaming front imho and its games that matter to me, certainly not sales figures.
I think what the OP was only trying to illustrate the incredible brand loyality the Japanese market have for Sony and personally, i found the figures quite amazing.
Agreed though that the important statistic is going to be worldwide sales figures but clearly it's far too early to even start panning the PS3 considering it hasn't even been launched in the EU yet! Give it a year and then we can all start making much more informative assumptions as to how the PS3 will fair against the 360.

Japanese developers will not stop making games for the 360 if the poor Asian sales continue. They make significantly more money from the North American and European markets than they ever would solely in Japan. Just look at Dead Rising, a Japanese developed game that has sold very well in the western markets.

I think what the OP was only trying to illustrate the incredible brand loyality the Japanese market have for Sony and personally, i found the figures quite amazing.
Agreed though that the important statistic is going to be worldwide sales figures but clearly it's far too early to even start panning the PS3 considering it hasn't even been launched in the EU yet! Give it a year and then we can all start making much more informative assumptions as to how the PS3 will fair against the 360.

No, what I think the OP was doing was trying to agitate people - nah, nah style. It really doesn't matter how 360 fares in Japan; it does matter how it stacks up globally.

This article indicates that it is that Microsoft is not providing the game applications for the 360 that are wanted by the Japanese and that is it is not selling well in Japan. So what are they playing on the PS3? Old PS2 games?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/75/20

This article indicates that it is that Microsoft is not providing the game applications for the 360 that are wanted by the Japanese and that is it is not selling well in Japan. So what are they playing on the PS3? Old PS2 games?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/75/20

The Japanese are not buying the PS3 either, the poor homeless chinese folk are buying them for their Ebay Yakuza masters to sell onto the west so they can buy even more Gaijin hookers................. I thought everyone knew that:D

Well they are not making much money on ebay either. Being just before Christmas with all the demand, 60 GBs are going for under $700 (less than $100 over MSRP) and the 20 GBs are going for under $550 (less than $50 over MSRP).

They better start looking for some cheap hookers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom