well stone the crows... at last! (32LD8700)

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
It seems i may have found my tv match!

the Hitachi 32LD8700

seems to have decent reports on image quality
has a proper freeview tuner
its in my price range (~£600)
AND does 1:1 pixel mapping over vga

anyone have any thoughts on this set??? havent seen any mention of backlight control which is a shame.

i think rather than jumping in i will demo this if i can.

am picking up my humax pvr tomorrow from hughes, i will see if they have this set in stock.

rogerft

It seems i may have found my tv match!

the Hitachi 32LD8700

seems to have decent reports on image quality
has a proper freeview tuner
its in my price range (~£600)
AND does 1:1 pixel mapping over vga

anyone have any thoughts on this set??? havent seen any mention of backlight control which is a shame.

i think rather than jumping in i will demo this if i can.

am picking up my humax pvr tomorrow from hughes, i will see if they have this set in stock.
Hitachi are late to the LCD market as their push has been on plasma, now that their IPS technology has spawned the IPS-Alpha fab they are shipping more LCD's. To date they have not enjoyed much success with these sets and are takling the low end of the market as they are not in a position to take on the brand leaders. It is not clear if this is from an OEM source as Hitchi are not acknowledging it on their website.

As this set is a budget model it only has one HDMI input and lacks niceties like swivel stand etc.

I would check very closely the ability of the freeview tuner and the general picture processing as these will be the weak areas. Reliabity should be good though if Hitachi have made it themselves.

If it does all you want the price looks very good and it will have a better resale value than the technosonics etc.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I had a look at this set today, and it was ok, but was dissapointed with the blacks on it, and with no back light control, it I think for me, my all rounder jack of all trades set is going to be the Sammy R73 / R74

shame the sound is pap, but it seems you cant have it all, unless you want to pay significantly more.

If only the tosh was better over VGA, i am sending back a set i love and know i will be making compromises over other areas if i get the sammy :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom