1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well recorded classical music.

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Jul 18, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I dont buy much classical music. One of the reasons has been finding CD/Vinyl which has been well recorded to give great dynamics. Most things I have seem very quiet (too quiet :D ) when compared to rock music, I dont mean the actual piece is quiet, its the recording. I have heard the odd piece of vinyl that sounds good, but its usualy from the 'golden age of recording' and costs an arm and a leg as its out of print.

In terms of musical growth, Im passed the 1812, firework music and other 'pops' stage and would like to immerse myself in a classical equivalent of a band like Nirvana (sort of alt rock metal classical and before anyone says it Im not after re-arranged rock like Apocalyptica) . Is there such a thing ?? But Im also looking for easy to find CDs or vinyl that give the real sound of a full scale orchestra.

Its funny, but you can listen to a piano concerto on CD and it sounds flat and lifeless and very quiet. But Pianos dont sound quiet in real life, you would certainly have a difficult time trying to talk over someone playing.

So there is a challenge for the more classically eared forum members !

2. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    As I type this I’m listening to Schubert’s Symphony No. 9 “The Great” the 2nd movement (Andante con moto) now I’m by no means consider myself very knowledgeable, but even on my PC the hairs on the back of my neck are moving. This is from a cheep Naxos version [8.550502]
    Sibelius – Finlandia personal favourite is the EMI, Halle Orchestra, under Sir John Barbirolli [CDM 7 69205 2]
    Mozart – Symphony No. 40 [Telarc CD-80139]
    Mahler – Symphony No. 1 [Telarc CD-80066]
    Delibes – Coppelia [Capriccio 10 073]
    Bizet – L’Arlesienne [Naxos 8.550061 & includes Carmen]
    Are all what I would consider accessible, but you don’t have to go down the classical route fully, Elmer Bernstein’s - The Magnificent Seven, is well, magnificent. Check out some of the other movie works, Star Wars, Superman and so on. :thumbsup: Telarc do a compilation I believe [CD-80141?].

As for piano if you can get a copy, on vinyl I like David Sancious – The Bridge, for CD, Micheal O’Suilleabhain – The Dolphin’s Way[Venture CDVE1] (the last two are not Classical as such, just classic's) and Darryl Way (with Opus 20) – the Human Condition [Venture CDVE8]. But you could resort to the Previn/Royal Philharmonic version of Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 1 [Telarc CD-80124]. But I find Jazz allows more insight into the Piano, but perhaps that’ll be another thread?

Paul

Just edited in the Disc numbers, don't really know if these are that good, but Telarc has always been a good bet. I believe Penguin publish a Classics guide or you could try the monthly 'Gramaphone' (is this still going?) or Hi-Fi News of course for some pointers.

and I forgot, Holst - Jupiter (from the PLanets, the best bit) LSO/Hickox [IMP PCD 890] :blush:

3. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    The Penguin Guide is supposed to be rather good