1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, pio 5100 or panny E100?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sparkybun, Oct 12, 2003.

1. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi all,

Sorry to ask the question BUT Pioneer 5100 or Panny E100 (or the HS2 come to that!). I know the 5100 hasn't got RGB in but is the difference in picture quality that noticeable? Is -RW worse or better than RAM. All opinions greatly accepted (especially from RASCZAK!!).

Cheers

Mel

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    When choosing between the Pioneer 5100 or the Panasonic HS2/E100 then you should ask yourself "Do I want RGB in?". This is only a question you can answer. Opinion is on the subject is, predictably, split. Whilst RGB should always give the better picture, poorer sources can (by some accounts) look better in S-Video. I don't believe this - in recent years I've had various CRTs, Plasmas and one Projector has always resulted in RGB sources (even from 'poor' sources like Sky) have always look superior. However a large number of people DO say that the S-Video looks 'better'. As 'better' is subjective I'd say wire up your TV to a number of sources - S-Video and RGB and judge for yourself.

Anyway if your answer to the "Do I Want RGB in" question is NO then I would pick the Pioneer 5100 - simply on the fact that DVD-RW is alot more compatible than DVD-RAM. UNLESS any of the E100 factors are of interest.

If your answer to the "Do I Want RGB in" question is YES then you need to choose between the HS2 and E100. By default I would go with the HS2 (as it is £200 cheaper!). However if any of the following are factors then choose the E100:
    - Price is not an issue.
    - MPEG4 recording will be/may be useful to you (digital camera owners, owners of Panasonic media devices)
    - You want picture thumbnails on your DVD-R menus
    - You want DVD-Audio playback
    - You want high speed dubbing to DVD-R
    - You want a larger HDD (bearing in mind the HS2 can take a full 7hrs at top quality - the E100 can take twice as much).

Bottom line: The E100 and 5100 are similar machines - you won't be disappointed with either.

3. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Rasczak,

Thank you for that. Would you say that the -RW editing features on the 5100 are as good as the -RAM on the Panny machines. I have a DV camcorder and would be using this feature (I also have a Panny DVD writer on my PC but I find this is very time consuming!!).

THanks

Mel

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    They are virtually identical. It's all rather irrelevant though - with a HDD/DVDR combo you'll find you do all initial recording and editting on the HDD (where the two types of machine ARE identical) - you'll just dub your recorded (and editted) material to DVDR.

As I say apart from the RGB issue and the compatibility of DVD-RW versus DVD-RAM there isn't much between the machines.

5. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for your input, Racszak.

Does anyone know the cheapest place for a 5100. I've found Empire at £611.

Thanks in advance

Mel

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

That is the about the cheapest I have seen, although they have none yet.

Regards

Philip