Well it's finally happened - my Philips DVDR980 has gone toes up...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by michaelm, Feb 28, 2005.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    AGAIN!

It failed after just 13 months and it took me almost 7 months to get Philips to repair it (it failed in January last year, it was finally repaired in July last year)as I couldn't provide proof of purchase.

Now it is not recording again. I get an error DB 7FCCDD96 and it shuts down. The recorder gets very little use, about 30hrs total since repair.

Now it is just over the 2 years warranty and I know I have no chance of getting Philips to accept liability again.

Oh, woe is me.

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I would certainly try them again - your repair is guaranteed and should last more than 7 months.

Write to customer services with the repair invoice or other evidence, detailing the signs of failure, and you may be surprised what happens.

3. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've already contacted them, this is the first reply I got when I asked them about a fw version discrepancy:

Dear Sir,

Recently you have asked us about a problem you are experiencing with your Philips product, model DVDR980

We have checked with our Support team who feel that this may be a hardware issue as the software upgrade has failed to solve the problem
    [ the BAD VERSION message infers that the software is already up to date ]

In this case they would recommend that you contact your dealer or Service Agent who can arrange to have the product inspected.

We enclose details below of Philip's service agent for Northern Ireland below.

With kindest regards,
    Philips Customer Care Centres

Then the second when I pushed them on the matter:

Dear Sir,

We refer to your recent email

Our Support Team have checked again, and have confirmed that the software version made available on the website is indeed the latest version.

They can only repeat that the product requires examination to determine what is causing the problem you have described.

We are sorry that we cannot help you further with this enquiry.

With kindest regards,

I thinkk this is basically saying "tough luck" don't you?

4. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just fired off another email to Philips Customer Service:

A couple of final questions before I make a decision on what to do about this matter.

1. My machine stops recording after only a few minutes with the error code DB 7FCCDD96 – What does this error message mean?

2. What is the software version that is available on your website?, ie ff12r, ff12t etc

3. When you state that my recorder requires examination to determine what the problem is, will Philips again repair this machine at their expense or are you suggesting I should carry the burden of any repairs myself?

4. If the latter is the case, I would remind you that it is only 7 months since the original repair and the machine has had only around 30hrs total recording time in those 7 months. Also, UK consumer law requires that any domestic electronic product, such as a tv, video recorder or, indeed, dvd recorder should be fit for the purpose it was manufactured for, for a REASONABLE time period. I do not think that 20 out of a total of 27 months could be considered “reasonable” for a product that cost £500. What would your opinion on that be?

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm not sure why you thought a firmware upgrade would help - it is indeed a hardware problem and I thought you meant that was what had been addressed in your first repair.

Definitely important to get clarification on who's paying for this inspection, though.

The DVDplusRW forum is half-returned so I might be able to give you a better phone number to ring a bit later today.

6. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Because that was the first thing Philps told me to do. I agree with you, it's stupid. The fw questions came into it because when I tried to update the firmware I was getting an error message that the version I was trying to upgrade to (from Philips' website) was older than the version on my recorder. And since I hadn't updated the fw since getting the recorder back...

7. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just return the 980 to your dealer.

It should be repaired for free, as UK consumer law states that a product should last 6 years.

8. ibrox50

ibrox50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mildred :) im interested in this 6 year thing you mention can i ask where you heard this from ?

9. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?I54C2259A

"All customers have up to six years to claim compensation (in Scotland, five years from discovery of the problem). The exact amount of time depends on the product, though it's for your customer to prove it was faulty when sold. But if your customer is a consumer and asks for a repair or replacement during the first six months after sale, it's up to you to prove the goods weren't faulty. "

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I think "upto" is the key word there - I don't think you will be able to argue successfully for 6 years cover on a £500 DVD recorder. Regardless of make/brand/quality that is a very long time to expect cover for. Nevertheless as I am not a legal expert I can't really comment - it just seems an unreasonable demand to me.

As one of the forums long term members michaelm, I am sorry to hear you are having problems :(

11. ibrox50

ibrox50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers mildred :thumbsup: interesting reading i find once your usual 1 year is up there seems to be a big grey area

12. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here in Australia, Panasonic products come with an invitation to pay a little extra, to extend the 1-year warranty to 5 years. As the extension costs less than a hard disk, I went for it on my E85 recorder.

That said, I wish we had that 6-year law in Australia! Sony happily replaced a big CRT for me after 25 months. But when my Philips TV broke in the 13th month, Philips told me to take a running jump. Guess whose products I buy now and whose I avoid!

13. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it IS a grey area - and legally described as a 'reasonable length of time' - only the courts will decide what's IS in fact, a "reasonable length of time" - so persue it if you think you have a case

14. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to add my two penneth. AFAIK, the 6 years mentioned in the SOGA is for you to claim compensation on faulty goods. It does not mean they have to last 6 years, but if a fault develops within a reasonable time you can then claim for compensation and have 6 years to do it.

BTW quoting from recent Which? Legal newsletter on this very issue. Michael's approach is the correct one, you could reasonably expect the DVDR to last more than 20 months.

Wackojacko32

15. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got the following reply from Philips regarding my questions:

Dear Sir,

We refer to your recent email. We are sorry that we are unable to help you further via email from this office.

We have forwarded your email for the attention of the Service Manager for Ireland, details below.

We must apologise for the difficulties you have experienced with this product. As a responsible manufacturer of electronic entertainment products, every effort is made during the production process to ensure both quality and reliability for the benefit of our users.
    However due to the complexity of such apparatus, of any manufacture, it is not possible to predict when or how often service may be required.

With kindest regards,

Mr Paddy Fitzsimons
    SERVICE MANAGER
    Philip Electronics (Ireland) Ltd
    Newstead
    Fonthill Industrial Park
    Dublin 22
    IRELAND

Telephone +353 (0)1 7640000

So it'll be interesting to see what they say, seeing as they were so much more helpful than Philips UK when the first problem occurred. Another good point of living in a country with dual jurisdictions.