1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well if it doesn't all happen at once eh?!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boy Lex, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost an hour after I'd noticed the fungus on my 350+ more problems...

I was watching one hour photo and about half way through there was a knock at the door. Came back into the room and the sync had gone crazy, picture rolling all over the place. I switched the signal to the telly to see if it was a loose connection at the sky plus box and it was fine so I switched it back. Same rolly picture and then... standby.
    :(
    Weird.
    :confused:
    I opened her up and noticed that the heatsink was pretty warm but then that's what it's there for. Tried switching it back on, got a picture for a second then off again. Let it cool off a bit then tried again and got a picture that was unconverged and in 4:3 instead of 16:9 flicking the convergence switches changed the convergence so I figured it had lost its memory.

That was the last picture I got - now it just starts on standby and doesn't attempt to fire up at all.
    :mad:
    I've tried reseating all the usual culprits, the protection boards and even the boards on the High voltage board to no avail. Any ideas? :lease:

I'm sure this is the balance of trouble. :devil: Yesterday I finally discovered the dry joint in the TV that was causing it to switch itself to standby periodically. Fixed that and was feeling smug - then this comes along!

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know what I did, but it's running again?! I'd just been wiggling things and turned it back on and it was fine. If its anything like the telly it'll be another dry joint somewhere... Doh! Lets hope the problem doesn't repeat eh?

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Sometimes taking the boards out blowing the dust off and reinserting them can make a lot of duifference if my experience with a normal tv was anything to go by.

Gary.

4. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's gods way of keeping me busy! What am I going to do if I'm not trying to fix the TV or the projector? :D
    Like your home cinema gary. When are you going to put in a proper projector? :rotfl:

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    When I get a hole big enough to get one up there, the balls to do it and a ceiling that will hold one. Which means probably never. :D

The set-up has changed a tad so I need to update my home page. It's about 6 months out of date, but I've a pic in one of my threads here somewhere (3d thread I think).

Gary.

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have to climb a ladder to get to it or have you got stairs to the loft? Curious because I'll be moving house into a first floor flat with a loft. I'm pretty sure a loft conversion is out of the question because of the lease, but I may get away with doing what you've done.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I didn't change anything structural, just reinforced some of what was there. I have a hatch and a loft ladder/steps arangement which is OK but not ideal for carrying anything heavy (restricted access for one thing). The l/r speakers are about 4stone each and were difficult to get up there, so I wouldn't attempt anything of that size and weight or bigger.

With full light control and Kodak 18% grey walls the room is pretty good for video playback. My black level is about 0.0044ft lamberts so pretty dark but still room for improvement.

Gary.

8. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm... How bout a bigger hole in the ceiling and a pulley system? Just thinking aloud!

PJ is on standby again. Thinking that maybe there is a dry joint on the high voltage board connectors somewhere. Bit of a bugger cos I did a lovely convergence after I had it back up and running again! Independence day was looking beautiful except for the 8 minutes of added b*ll*cks they put on the DVD version... Ahem... It was cut for a reason?!

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Pulley system? Hmmmmm lol. :)

Which bit(s) did they cut? I have a R4 version but I don't know if it was cut or not.

Gary.

10. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Added bits to independence day:

1) They put in a whole storyline about the drunk pilot's kid having some kind of illness.

Er... that's it. It made very little sense and had no relevence whatsoever to the film. Hence it was cut from the original.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    That kinda rings a bell but I don't if I'd seen it or not - was it cancer or something??

Gary.

12. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They never make it clear what he has, just that he needs medication or he'll die. Check out the huge dvd slagging match we are having in the Movie dVDs section!