1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well I think Its A Bargain - DancesWW DTS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PaulBoy, Nov 2, 2000.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Spotted the DTS version of Dances With Wolves for $20.99 at video-now.com who incidentally emailed me when I had a "Visa" problem and mentioned that if I ordered 2 x DVD postage was FREE! (even to the UK)
    A good move for them as I did exactly that & will have the new version of Leon as well
    (PS Dont tell the missus!!)

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Just checked the wonderful IMDB site, and found this piece of info:

"This ($20 Image Entertainment version) is the original theatrical cut (e.g. 181 minutes). Because this DVD was mastered with a high bitrate, between 7-8 MBit/s, it is spread over two discs. The first disc is SS-RSDL and the second disc is SS-SL. The two discs are delivered in a box containing two snap cases." The features for this version of Dances With Wolves, are as follows: it's a double disc, Region 0 DVD, framed at an anamorphic 2.35:1 ratio, in DTS Dolby Digital 5.1, (and Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, and ordinary Dolby Digital 2.0) with the audio commentary. There appear to be no actual subtitles for either version, bar the ones that appear in the Indian-speaking sequences.

The other Image Entertainment Release listed on Video-now's site is a single disc, Region 0, framed at an anamorphic 2.35:1 ratio, in Dolby Digital 5.1, with the audio commentary.

Looks like I shall be ordering this DVD also! Let's just hope that someone releases the superior Director's Cut very soon, and gives it the lavish treatment it deserves!

Pooch

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 03-11-2000).]

3. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I would of bought this set if it had contained the director's cut. I have the DC on LD but want it on DVD. The high bit-rate is quite tempting. We may not see it again! Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is full bit rate DTS because the lower bitrate DTS tracks didn't exist back when it was released.

The lack of extras on DTS discs and some films needing to span 2 discs led DTS to authorize the use of lower bit rate DTS (no or has minimal loss in quality)