1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well I Have Spent All Day Currys Dixons Comets

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by the blue angel, Jul 30, 2005.

1. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And Could Not Find A Picture I Am Happy With I Thought Lcd Was On Par With A Normal Crt But No Way I Am Sticking With My Sony 36 Inch Freeview Television

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    You didn't judge them based on the stores' analog TV reception, did you? It's notoriously bad and isn't indicative of what they're capable of.

3. johnrp

johnrp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As my local currys couldn't even work out how to tune the freeview on the Samsung i bought, i wouldn't hold out much hope!
    they run 30+ TVs off of one feed and LCD TVs show up bad signals more than the CRT.
    Good LCD TVs are now better than CRT TVs and are future proof. Go to a good local retailer and see the difference.
    Also think of the space you will save, I expect the Sony is a beast.

4. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Me too - Curry's had all the panels connected to a RF socket for Gawd's sake! Not even a DVD connected - so much for the vaunted HD Ready stickers!

They had one DLP set running a WMV-HD - but the dreaded rainbow effect was spotted - LCD for me i think. Panny, JVC or Hitachi.

H

5. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sometimes it is best to pay close attention to reviews and opinions from people of panels on the net, ie, here on the AV forums. I bought a Sharp LC26GA3E a couple weeks back and funily enough there was a display one in a Currys Store, but they wernt selling them, it was the panel used on the Sky+ stand. I had a fiddle around with it and was shocked by the terrible picture it was displaying and was really put off. It was only until I researched deeper into the panel on the internet I discovered how popular the panel was and thought sod it and bought one. Im so glad I did because its superb. Granted, Terrestrial is a pants picture, Sky is far better and DVD's through Component look really nice. But wait until you hook it up to a High Def source, ie, your PC through DVI and watch a High Def video and Woooooooo Mumma, it looks oh so good. :D

M.

6. nasht

nasht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i just saw a sony lcd yesterday and it was the best tv is saw from currys yesterday

7. FreeviewFan

FreeviewFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A shop's communal aerial feed can make digital TV pictures look rubbish on even the best LCD TV's; the Panasonic TX26LXD50 I saw in Currys had dreadful image lag and pixellation problems compared to exactly the same model on display in John Lewis.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    The LG LCD I saw in Dixons in Reading had a little PC attached running a HD demo. Looked great.

They are (slowly) getting better.

Although I hope that when Sky HD comes out, there will be more programs available than flowers and rivers... :p

9. gaz@manc

gaz@manc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean - with the exception of the very large sets, the Dixons in Manchester makes a very poor job of displaying their smaller LCD sets. Trying to get some decent advice after admitting your not buying at the moment is near impossible too...

10. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Can any DVB experts confirm this? I was always under the impression that a Digital TV signal would always work as well as it could, or not at all?

11. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    If you split a digital signal you are effectively halving the strength of the signal...I found that out the hard way trying to distribute a signal to the kids bedrooms!

An aerial amplifier did the trick though!

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    IMO the Sharp 'P' thing is a red herring, simple PR spin from them. A good scaler in an LCD panel will do very good things to an incoming signal - see Pixel Plus or the Wega engine stuff for examples. These will still be susceptible to technical weaknesses inherent in LCD (black level, contrast), but so will the sharp.

14. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I would disagree on that...Digital is 1's & 0's either on or off etc there is no in between. You either have a signal or you dont. You cannot halve the strength of a digital signal unless it is being converted to analogue somewhere along the way or is being interfered with which would result in gaps in information leasding to freezing/artefacts.

15. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Currys superstore in Beckton (E London) was showing the same Curry's demo - probably from a VHS machine in the back room. Whatever the source all the sets were hooked up via the aerial/RF lead - disgraceful.

H

16. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to drift off topic, but I worked in a games shop when the Xbox was released. Here was the most graphically superb console to date, and I swear 20% of customers were asking why it didn't come with an RF lead. Most of them claimed they didn't have scart on their TV - in which case, save your £300, get a new TV for ****'s sake!

Anyway: yeah, these big "superstores" certainly are cr@p showing these TVs off. I was in the Curry's superstore in Staines last week for 3 full hours. They had more than 40 TVs all hooked up to what looked like the same sky box. The picture quality was appalling. They had some seriously good HD plasmas and LCDs in there, and they all looked like horsepoo. Why can't they showcase at least a couple of them with DVDs o something? hey have £25 DVD players there. Surely it's worth using the odd one to show off a £2500 TV and make a sale once in a while.

By the way the whole 3 hours I was in there, pawing and poking at the plasmas from every angle, no-one asked me if I needed help. I didn't even see a member of staff in there. I did consider "making a fort" out of TVs at one point. ;)