1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well I finally got my Cambridge dac3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by la gran siete, Aug 25, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    Am now wondering what connections to make. I have my cdp connected to an Audiolab 8000a nad both Sky plus and Panny E55 dvd recorder connected via toslink to an HK receiver( this in turn is connected to the tape in/out of the audiolab). Any suggestions please? Would I best get rid of cdp and route the other two through DAC with an analogue connection to Audiolab?? :)

2. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    anyone?

3. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A bit more detail would be handy - are you listening in stereo only, or sometimes surround as well? What digital outputs do your sources have (e.g. do they have optical, coaxial or both?) and what inputs and outputs are there on your DAC?

Jon

4. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    Sorry .I should have been more explicit. Basically I'm thinking in terms of listeniong to the DVD player in surround sound and the sky box in stereo. Both out puts are optical. it has 2 balanced outputs(?) 2 coax inputs 1 opticle input 1 digital output and a pair of line outputs.From that it looks as though I'll be able to connect both cd player( coax) and sky box ( optical ) and then run the line level to my cd input on the audiolab . I'm confused by the balanced ouputs though. :confused: . They are sockets with three pins .

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    I seem to have unusual digital connections at the input and oput put stage. optical ok but there is no coaxial . Instead the sockets have a very thin( 2mm I'd say) pin hole in the centre the outer sheath of the socket juts out about a centremetre there are two lugs jutting out from them one on each side and a a plastic thread at the bottom :confused: Never seen one of these before.

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    Oh I get it, its a BNC socket therfore therev must be some kind of adaptor which I can use my regular coax cable with? What is chinch?

7. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The BNC is easy - you just need a phono to BNC adapter like this one (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=1593&doy=26m8). Don't know about the balanced outputs, but I'd imagine there's some kind of adapter you can get.... You do want to connect the analogue out of the DAC to the analogue input of your amp, anyway.

Does your DVD player not have a coaxial output? If you do need to have two components connected into one optical socket, you can buy optical switches like this one - http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/t...=Digital Optical Switch/op=eq/nu=0/ml=50.html

I *think* it should be possible to connect the digital output of your DVD to the DAC and the digital output of the DAC to your AV amp, to let you listen in surround. However, I'm not 100% sure - multichannel signals can supposedly to strange things with stereo DACs; maybe someone else here can give better advice, as I wouldn't want to get you to damage anything ;) Anyway, if you want surround you will need to get a digital signal from your DVD player to AV amp - the analogue outs of the Cambridge Dac are stereo only.

If your CD player has a digital output you could plug it into the DAC as well. See if you prefer the sound to your DVD in stereo - if you do, it may be worth keeping the CDP, if not you could look at selling it...

Jon

8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    Hi jon I shall definitely be connecting my cdp as to the dvdp it would depoend on ohyther responses but I gather it isn possible. I have two coax inputs and one coax output. I thinkl balanced out puts are for dedicated players the socket is quite large and has 3 pins in the middle. Any way many thanks for oyur help :thumbsup:

9. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

Should definitely be *possible* to connect your DVD through the DAC - I imagine that's a big part of what the digital output on the DAC is there for - but I would suggest you double-check how to do this, assuming of course you'd want to listen to your DVD-P in stereo.

Best of luck sorting out the balanced outputs. I take it that the DAC3 does not have 'normal' phono analog outputs (earlier DACMAGICs did) and your amp does not have balanced inputs? You can get balanced to phono converters (google "Balanced to Unbalanced Converter") but these are often expensive; you'd hope there's a better option.

Jon

10. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    Yes it does have normal analogue outputs - one pair which I can use to connect to my Audiolab :)
    i am hoping that someone in here who owns one of these dacsc an enlighten me about the balanced outputs

11. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Balanced outputs are often used in pro studios etc. - they give better quality over long runs of cable. They *may* give better sound quality over shorter runs as well, although whether this is audible is debatable; if you wind up upgrading your amp, it could be worth demoing one with balanced inputs to see if it gives better sound quality. In the meantime, just enjoy the unbalanced output :)

Jon

12. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    I will Jon thanks for your help anyway