• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Well got a Sony STRDH800 Today set up help.

gtimadman

Standard Member
well plumbed for the sony today mainly as they had it instock, I am definatly not disapointed just after some set up advise really have set up as follows...

1)have wired the fronts up as per page 91(i think) to bi amp them and have set the setting so it now says bi-amp

2)have run the mic to set up distances etc

3)connected rears/centre

4) set it to show my speaker configuration

now few questions

a) whats this it mentions telling the amp what speaker size you are using?

b)Whats the A B speaker thing they mention

c) how do i tell/know what type of surround its using i.e dolby digital etc

d) i have no sub connected is there a setting i need to change to tell it this ?,as when you run the mic test it tries to test a sub??

cheers

Gaspode_TWD

Established Member
a) whats this it mentions telling the amp what speaker size you are using?

The speaker size question is really about bass cut off. If you tell it the speakers are small it will reduce the amount of bass gaing to them. Given that you don't have a sub you should try the large setting first. Then reduce the size if you have problems - like distortion.

b)Whats the A B speaker thing they mention

The amp gives you the option of having 2 pairs of front speakers, or biamped front, or rear (in addition to surround). If you wanted you could have a second (B pair) in another room.

c) how do i tell/know what type of surround its using i.e dolby digital etc

Page 8 on the maual lists the display icons

d) i have no sub connected is there a setting i need to change to tell it this ?,as when you run the mic test it tries to test a sub??

Page 46 - you need to select a speaker pattern that doesn't include a '.1' at the end

Hope that helps.

cheers

If you correctly in this case specify a speaker pattern with no sub, then I would be surprised if you still have an option to change the Front R&L speakers to Small. After all the LFE (.1) channel and also lower frequencies associated with a "Small" setting have to go somewhere.

gtimadman

Standard Member
hi guys yup it was set to 5 not 5.1 which defualts the front to large so thats all good does the receiever auto detect the surround type hdmi digital etc or do you decided?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom