Well designed Mac-like case

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by robinthakur, Feb 4, 2009.

1. robinthakur

robinthakur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Does anyone know any companies making well designed PC cases which are consiously being designed to be pleasing to the eye? I own a fairly innoffensive and well made Lian li silver case, but 1) Its massive 2) too noisy 3) People tend ask me why I've got a giant fugly metal box under my desk. I want to cut down on the wasted space somewhat, while still being able to use my pc with my AMD4850 graphics card and Q6600, so not lose any power (so don't suggest I just get a mac, I have some already but for other applications, this machine's purpose is gaming/power user/development/design). I'm intrigued as to why all PC cases seem to entirely disregard aesthetics while Apple embrace them?? Is there no demand for them? What does this say about PC users? You would think there'd at least be some cloned far-east cases which would fit the bill however tacky they might be.

• The case must NOT have more than one 5.25 drive cover visible on the outside, I would like a clean look, not cluttered by pointless shlep. This applies also to weird coloured led's, though these can at least be replaced or altered.
    • Be of mini tower size as a maximum
    • Accomodate a full size psu
    • Accomodate a 16x PCI Express card
    • Must be made of aluminium/titanium
    • Obviously nothing with case-lights, windows etc. If you think this equates to nice minimal design then stop reading and click back now.
    • Under £500 prefereably.

The Lian Li's ARE well made, but I'm less keen on the boxy design and size which tends to stick out in the home. Some silverstones are not bad but I don't really want it to look like a Hifi component either or a DVD player from the 90's-that's what my HTPC looks like (LC-11M). Plus I don't want the name of some obscure case-maker plastered all over it.

Without wishing to get anyone here's fanboy juices flowing, Apple do make decently designed cases (Pro case is too big for this application however) so something which wouldn't look out of place next to their stuff or B&O would be excellent. Heck even the old Asus Vento 3600 had some design obviously thrust at it, not that I particularly liked it (where was the white version?!?). I'm not bothered whether its ATX or MATX as I can rebuild the internals to suit the case. Under £500 prefereably. And no, that Blue Lian Li case which looks like the Burj Al Arab is in no way tasteful, just like its inspiration.:devil:

Thanks in advance
    RT

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. wywywywy

wywywywy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    mCubed cases are nice. OrigenAE cases are the ultimate.

For the cheaper ones (less than £200), some Silverstone cases are pretty good.

And if you want to stay with Lian Li, I personally really like the V350.

3. robinthakur

robinthakur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Origen AE are nice, but I'd only really use them as an HTPC. For a desktop I think they're a complete waste. The Lian Li V350 I've also considered, but the compromises you have to make in terms of graphics card/motherboard choice are just too restrictive considering it doesn't look that interesting. MCubed is really hot from a design perspective, even if they do remind me of the Xbox 1 and 3DO :) There must be a case made for ATX mobos and ATX PSU's which is not quite as vanilla as what's available without resorting to customising it....Ho hum.

4. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    LL v1100 or v1000 ?

5. FireKracker

FireKracker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: