Welcome me guys! I Just bought a Plasma!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by TP2K, Jan 16, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...well, what did I do? If you've followed my dizzy annoying postings here in the last 10 days you might (or might not!) be interested to know what I finally signed up for!

Someone tell me I got a good deal (PLEASE!);

LG MZ42P14 with 3 year extended warranty for £3399 on 18m IFC...

Did the boy do good???

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen them going for £2699 with 5 yr warranty :eek:

Only joking, welcome to the forum :)

3. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoilsport!

I should add that this is the package deal and not just the display unit - STB, speakers & Desktop stand included... hopefully makes a difference?

4. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    TP2K. Glad your sorted mate.

A couple of questions - as you know I am going through the exact same thought process as yourself.

Where did you get the deal from, personal or generally available ?

What delivery time were you quoted ?

What swayed it to the LG rather than the Sammy ?

Thanks

Mark.

5. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    House;

I went to Curry's last night (Tue) with the full intention of buying the Sammy. While waiting for a sales-droid I spotted the LG package (LG MZ42P10) for the same cash and it threw me into the "is LG better than Samsung" mode! I demoed & tested it and to be honest, I was going to go with the LG but came away just to sleep on it...

Today I did some research and (thankfully) had some info from this board and elsewhere ont he net about the LG. Turned out that PowerHouse were doing the LG MZ42P14 for the same price as the Currys deal for the LG MZ42P10.

A little more research showed that the LG MZ42P14 is a newer and better model (contrast etc) than the LG MZ42P10. Did a quick demo tonight and decided that the LG MZ42P14 was the one for me. Granted, the picture over the LG MZ42P10 was probably only slightly better (if at all as I recall!), but over the Samsung I did prefer it (I think the CRUCIAL thing I have learned in all my time on this Forum is that it IS ABSOLUTELY down to personal taste picture-wise!).

I proceeded to engage myself in full PowerHosue vs Currys play-off mode and secured the LG MZ42P14 for the £3399 with the 3yr warranty and 18 months IFC. As I see it, I got an extra 2 year warranty for £399 - granted maybe a little more than other retailers, but those retailers cannot offer the 18m IFC which for me was an issue.

For info here's the "off the peg" deal PowerHouse offered;

LG MZ42P14, Tuner, Speakers & Desktop Stand : £2999
    3 Year Warranty: £999
    Standard Flexible Finance: 9 months

I basically told them "this, that and the other" about what Currys had offered me, and that tonight I would be buying a Plasma - either from them or Currys. This provoked a good (I think!) deal and I got the package for -£600 it's peg price, and extended the IFC period by 100% to 18 months!

Delivery was quoted as 10 days (optimistic at best, methinks!), though with my lounge decoration and new sofa delivery I can easily wait upto another 7 weeks!

Me = happy!

Good luck, House; I know I don't envy you going through this again! It was a real stumbling block for me!

Hope this info helps at least one other as then I feel I have returned some (very) beneficial knowledge that I myself gained in my time here!

6. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank god you have dealt that was almost more painful than watching west ham at home...

7. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TP2K, welcome to the plasma club! It will be interesting to read what you think of the LG. It certainly has good reviews in its price range. But £999 for a warranty, that sounds steep for a reliable product. Good luck anyway, I know you will enjoy your plasma, it is a different viewing experience and very satisfying.

8. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one. I bought my panny a month ago, and have had no regrets, well except now I want the 50 inch.

9. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    surprising how quickly you get used to a bigger screen isn't it?

House, I would look to pioneer, panasonic and nec if I were you. Shopping around, you can get a 433mxe for 3500