Welcome. And a question about built-in USB ports

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Stuart Wright, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,474
    Welcome to the new Digicam forum. This is not the official Digital Photo User forum (there isn't an official DPU forum any longer), but DPU does link here and so we welcome all visitors to DPU and hope that you find these forums a useful resource for sharing your experiences buying and using digicams and processing your photos on your computer.

Now a question from me. I have an Olympus C2000 and am tentatively considering upgrading to a camera with a USB port. I have heard that the USB ports built into cameras can be somewhat problematic. Is this the case?
    I ask because I find I am constantly taking my smart cards from camera to USB reader and would feel much more comfortable if the smartcard could stay in the camera.

2. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm lucky enough to have a Fujifilm 6900 and have had no problems in transfers between the camera and PC using both XP and 98. This is using Fuji's Finepix software that came with the camera.

The only thing I would suggest is that usb transfers are done with the camera plugged into it's charger/psu as opposed to using batteries as this may cause problems if their power drops during the said transfer.

Hope this helps

Dumfy

;)

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I think it's a case of drivers clashing with other USB equipment,especially if you have 2 USB ports and 3 USB devices.

My new Lexmark printer USB,I found out,wouldn't let me use two other USB cameras,one camcorder for stills,fully and would stop my '98SE shutting down.To solve this,I had to get a card reader,which I was told are more reliable and this has worked for me,saving camera battery power also.

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Spectre if you upgrade I recomend you take a look at the Fuji S602

I think its great and it takes compact flash, smartmedia and IBM Microdrive :)

Never have to take the media out of the camera, just plug in the camera to the pc via the usb cable and it shows up as another drive on your pc :)

Take a look at the pics in my two albums, they are on the lowest quality 1m setting normal and fine.

Havn't tried the 2m or 3m or the uncompressed 18mb file size settings yet but all I can say is it was well worth the £568 I paid :) from Here

I also got a 512mb IBM Microdrive from overclockers uk as they are the cheapest place for the 512mb travel kit (microdrive, pcmia adaptor and case)

Review of Fuji S602

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,474
    Thanks for your replies. The S602 does indeed look like a nice camera. I'll bear it in mind when selecting my next purchase.

6. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    hi

i've just bought a sony dsc p9 and after installing the usb driver each time i connect the camera using the usb cable it creates another drive which is accessable in windows explorer

i use win xp which also displays the "exim" info ( sounds like i know my stuff eh - i don't ! )

it does say in the manual that when you connect the usb cable to transfer pics you should have it powered from the mains so i guess what dumfy said about the power dropping when running on batteries makes sense.

i will probaby end up getting a card reader in the end so i don't have to keep on plugging both the power and usb cable in

7. j_morgan54

j_morgan54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Finepix 2600 last week and nearly returned it as I couldn't get the USB driver to work on my Win Me machine. The troubleshooting section of the manual didn't help and neither did the web site quoted in the manual.

The web site did not give details of a support line, neither phone or email.

They did not have a downloads section either. Their FAQ had a question on downloads - "Install from the CD supplied" !!

I was about to talk to the shop where I bought it when I discovered that the Fuji USA web site had downloadable drivers. This sorted the problem.

When you consider that a connection to your machine is an essential part of your digital camera, this is shoddy customer support to say the least :mad: It just so happens I work in IT, imagine a punter off the street.

Cheers, John

8. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have just bought the Fujifine pix S602 zoom camera, Still playing with it at the moment.
    Have taken some pic's and am very happy with the results, its going to take sometime to get use to all the features on it though.

What i wanted to know is there are two slots on it for memory cards,
    which is the best memory to use smart media or compact flash?
    I am only assuming that you can use compact flash on this camera as it dose not say in the manual, it says one slot for smart media and the other one for microdrive.
    I just woundered if you can put a compact flash card into the micro drive slot.

Thanks Steve

9. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Yes you can use compact flash instead of the microdrive.

You can also have both slots occupied at the same time, so you could have the 16mb smartmedia that comes with it in the smartmedia slot and either a compact flash or microdrive in the other slot.

If your interested in the microdrive overclockers uk are the cheapest i've found for the 512mb travel kit which includes the drive and a pcmia adaptor to plug it in your laptop.

10. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  11. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Not as cheap as overclockers

the 512mb travel kit is same price as valuemedias 340mb !!!

12. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello JSW,

I cannot find the 512 meg at overclockers, but the 1gb bare rive drive is £229.01 at overclockers or £192.64 at valuemedia, that is a full £36.37 or 15% cheaper at Valuemedia.

Where is the 512meg on overclockers? can you link to it, I just cannot find it,

Thanks,

Mark.

13. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for the reply.

But which is best to use smart media or compact flash? :confused:

14. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Looks like they sold out

It was 157 inc.

15. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Spectre

Don't know if there are any cameras out yet, (but it's only a matter of time), but you may want to hang on for USB 2.0.
    MUCH faster than conventional USB, 480mb/secs as opposed to 12.

Of course your PC will need to have USB 2.0 sockets and be Win 98 or greater.
    USB 2.0 PCI cards are already available for around £20.

16. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,474
    Thanks, Kevo. I have about 20 USB 2.0 sockets on the back of my XP driven machine, so yes, I'll hang on.

17. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen many problems with Fuji cameras on USB ports - most come from older drivers or not using the on-board USB ports, but using an add-in card - all problems have been overcome with one or the other!

18. pd1965

pd1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony DSC-P5, which apart from a few unwanted features is great.

On the point about USB, I would say the following.

Absolutely no problem with ease of use with Wintel (I use Win 98). It is plug and play with one of my two USB ports.

The ease of use is great. It automatically registers as an external drive which you can access and browse like your hard disk (F: drive on mine). Better still, set the folder preferences to "show thumbnails" and you can peruse the images on the camera from your PC!!!

In terms of speed of dowload, it does take some time to transfer the entire contents of a 128mb memory card (around 5 minutes on my machine). But don't forget, that is about 80 high res images, which is a fair bit.

Also, some cameras come with USB enabled cradles so you just "dump and go". I initially wanted to go down this route, but have found that there is no extra hassle associuated with plugging in a USB cable (provided you leave it plugged into your PC and don't have to keep crawling under the desk among the dead insects). I reckon that the bonus on the cradles is for convenience of recharging (a la my Palm).