1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weired prob with 3803 or converter (long)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kota, Oct 21, 2003.

1. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Got one for you which I really can't figure out ....

I have two JS Tech converters. One an RGB/S-Video and a second RGB/Component.

Using the Nokia Mediamaster sat receiver, if I connect the RGB/S-Video converter cable directly to my PJ S-Video input I get a good picture but if I connect it to any of the Denon's S-Video inputs and then route it via the amp's component out to the PJ input (with the S-Video to Component adapter) I get no picture at all :confused: why ????

This was the reason I decided to invest on the second converter in the first place (and also because I thought I would get a better picture using component rather than S-Video) but after doing all sorts of tests and changing all possible settings on the PJ, I'm not at all happy with the PQ of the RGB/Component one on my particular system ..... the image has far too much contrast and the colours don't look right no matter what even when connected directly to the PJ bypassing the amp .....

I've got the Sony player connected via component to the Denon and then to the PJ and none of this happens .... so I reckon there's got to be some sort of incompatibility between the Nokia and the JS Tech converter even after the mod John Sim did on it before sending it over :rolleyes:

Could someone please help me here ???

Sorry for the long post :blush:

Cheers,

Pedro

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Pedro,

the Nokia modification is because of a strange querk with Nokia equipment in that they have a DC offset on their video outputs. This modification is to remove the said offset internally to the converter rather than having to change the Nokia. There are two levels of modification, a universal one and a full one. The univerasl one should give you more flexibility with difference sources, but I'm happy to put the full modification in. Obviously, you're not the first person to receive the universal modification.

The modification is designed to only affect the DC offset and not any of the picture detail. If there is a large RGB signal still present, then it is faithfully converted by the converter. RGB is converted to YUV very accurately by the converter, keeping all the brightness and contrast settings of the input.

Different AV sources will give you different colour performance, brightness and contrast. Even just changing from one DVD player to another you notice differences! Some sources will allow you to adjust their settings. For example, in a Sky Digibox you are able to adjust the contrast. In DVD players you can sometimes also adjust the colour balance from warm to cool.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
    Reply posted to AV Forums and emailed to Pedro.

3. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok John .. thanks for replying so promptly.

As I suspected, the problem lies with the Nokia Mediamaster which unfortunately hasn't got any sort of brightness or contrast settings ...

So to the first question any idea why the RGB/S-Video converter doesn't work with the Denon (S-Video to Component) ?? Is it because I'm trying to convert the already converted as someone already pointed out on a previous post ??

Cheers,

Pedro

4. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon will output component only from a component input. As I understand you are inputting a s-video to the amp then expecting it to output component. This wont work.

If you connect the projector using the s-vid output on the denon it should work. Mine does.

5. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dom ... that's correct but I thought the 3803 could upconvert S-Video to Component like it does with composite.

Oh well, S-Video it is then ...

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    It should do. Either it doesn't like the already converted RGB to S-Video signal or there's something you've missed in the Video Upconversion settings. Try changing the Video Input Mode (done from the main setup menu) from AUTO to S-Video and see what happens.

7. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And the plot thickens .... I've done exactly that Jase ... from AUTO to S-Video and it still refuses to pass the signal from the converter. Also, I've just tried the Sony dvd S-Video out into the Denon and guess what ?? It doesn't work either :confused:

I reckon Dom must be right after all .... can someone else please try this in their Denon's ???

Anyway I'm sending the RGB/Component converter back to John to have it remoded with the full Nokia modification and see if it works better this time.

Cheers

Pedro

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Pedro

I've downloaded the manual for the 3803 and it definitely says the S-Video signal can be converted and output from the Component Output. Make sure you only have one cable connected from the Denon's Monitor Outputs (Component). Doublecheck your Video Input Modes and that everything is assigned correctly to the right sources. :)

9. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    the 3803 WILL upconvert from both SVIDEO and COMPOSITE to COMPONENT (I have one and do this!), with component in it will use pass thru.

I suspect the problem lies in converting the converted. Why don't you try a cheapy scart adapter that you plug in SVIDEO cable in and see if you get the same problem?

Sorry just read rest of posts - I will check out my settnigs and let you know what I use to get everything working....

10. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys ... I don't like to give up easily but I'm going bonkers here :mad:

I've got the manual handy and beleive you me Jase I've read it :) ... all connections and video assignments are spot on and yes the only monitor out I'm using while testing is the component output.

Just for the sake of it and since the Denon's OSD are displayed in 480i, I tried a NTSC reg1 dvd with the Sony dvd (S-Video in/Component out) and still no picture.

For some strange reason, the PJ can't "see" the signal or the amp isn't sending one (at least a converted one since I can get the OSD but no picture).... I've got no way to confirm this since the former is the only device with component in I've got.

I've found something on the manual which basically says if you are using the amp's component out and a VTR connected to either the Composite or the S-Video inputs, you may among other quirks get no picture at all when playing tapes and the solution is to get a TBC (time based corrector) video stabilizer ..... I don't think this is the reason but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Thanks for all the help :D

Cheers

Pedro

11. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried connecting directly to your PJ to make sure it is working.

I convert both video and s-video up to component with no problems. There is a know issue with upconversion on the 3803, but this is only on serial numbers less than 301XXXXX. This will give you a rolling pink line up the screen. I had this fixed as watching cricket was killing me on the PJ.

I now have a problem where my PJ wont display a picture thru the component input. Use to work, I got the amp fixed, did one test before I put it all back in the cabinet and it was fixed. Wired the whole system up and no signal on the PJ. Could not find the problem. Connected it to my TV which accepts Component input and it worked. Now have to take the PJ in for a service. My wife just rolls her eyes!

Have you tried componet in to component out (Borrow a DVD player with component) if you need to test. You could be unluckly and it is the converting the converted gives an unknow signal for the PJ.

12. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi m8 ..

Sure thing I've tried it directly to the PJ and it works ... but it can't find the signal if sent by the amp. Component in component out works just fine.

The serial no. on mine is 2121502035 ... where have you learned of this issue ??

Cheers,

Pedro

13. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update.

Got the RGB/Component back from John Sim now with the full Nokia mod and it works just fine :smashin:

Forgot all about S-Video since it's all component in/out now and I don't care about my SVHS video anymore :D

Cheers,

Pedro