Weirdest issue ever!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sotiris, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Sotiris

Sotiris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Here's one for the experts out there...

I just purchased a brand new Panasonic PT-AT6000E projector. On trying to view blu ray material via a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 blu ray player connected via HDMI via a Denon 2311 AVR, there is no image displayed until you get to the film. The blu ray home menu will not display, but the movie does. Very strange. So I connected the Blu Ray player straight into the projector and it works fine, but when going through the AVR it won't. Ok so I thought the issue is with the AVR so I unplugged the projector and reconnected my old setup back, which is a Panasonic plasma TV. This works fine, home menu, and film.
    Ok, so I reconnected my projector. Here's an example that might shed some light on the situation. I turn my blu ray player on, there is no panasonic blu ray home menu, so I put the Gladiator extends edition Blu-ray Disc in, it goes to the menu of the blu ray. I press play for the extended edition, which starts with Ridley Scott talking for half a minute or so. This will not display, but I can hear the sound through the AVR. When he finishes talking and the film starts the picture is back on as it should be. Seems that only 1080p/24 is coming through?
    But saying that my xbox 360 menu displays fine and that is only 1080i/60.
    Please can somebody help here? It's driving me nuts!
    Just so you know, I updated the firmware on the blu ray player today just to make sure, but it made no difference. All setting on the Denon AVR are on Auto under video. I've also factory reset the amplifier but no luck. Help!!

Thanks in advance
    Sotiris.

2. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    Is the AVR Firmware up to date? It is often the case that handshake issues appear between manufacturers and this typically sounds like one. If the FW is up to date try contacting both Panasonic and Denon support for a fix, but don't be surprised if they blame each other's FW.

3. Sotiris

Sotiris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

I've tried to do a firmware update, but you need a PC and a RS-232C serial cable to be able to perform the update, which I have neither. It's weird because blu ray content plays fine, but anything other than 1080p/24 from the blu ray player will not work. For example, DVD's do not play ( i can hear the audio, but no picture). Surely it's something to do with video processing/upscaling? The same DVD played from my XBOX 360 works fine.

4. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    I guess it could be a setting in the BD Player menu or indeed the AVR but I suspect the BD player first, unfortunately I'm not familiar with the settings menu. If not a setting then I would look to do an AVR FW update. Why Denon take that route I don't know, should be via LAN or USB like most others!

5. Sotiris

Sotiris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,
    Got it sorted! It was a combination of settings on both the BD player AND the Denon. On the BD player, settings like 'deep colour' and 'super resolution' had to be disabled (defaults are on or set to automatic). On the AVR under video, video convert had to be on, but i/p scaling off. Don't ask me how I worked out this combination, but pointing me to start with the BD player was a good shout...so thanks! How is anybody supposed to know this? Plugging the BD player straight into the projector always worked, it's just going through the Denon with those settings and the BD player at default, things get messy. I treated myself to watching a movie on a 100" screen :)
    I guess the lesson here is always disable every gimmick feature (upscaling, deep colour, frame creation, DNR) and see how it looks, and IF you like turn things on one by one. It seems that manufacturers like to ship items with all these turned on, to boast their products new features. Just me having a rant.

Thanks again.
    Sotiris

6. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    Really pleased you got it sorted! You are right of course, it's not made easy!