1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird XP error after System rebuild

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dr Nick Riviera, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I am experiencing a strange unexpected restarting error after a complete system rebuild on my Sony Vaio PC. Everything is clean as a whistle virus wise (both AVG and Norton AntiVirus report all clean) and Spybot is clear too, so I don't think its viral.
    It seems to be only when I am downloading headers from Newsgroups, either using Outlook Express or Xnews. The machine will sit happily getting the new headers, then suddenly the screen goes black and the SONY logo comes up as the boot sequence commences.
    If I am not downloading headers and just surfing etc, the machine is fine. I have turned off Power Saving and anything else I can think of, but no joy.
    I have patched XP with all the security updates etc that Windows Update advised (the Software Restore discs are pre-SP1 for instance), and all my defs are the latest.
    For reference, the Usenet provider I use is Astraweb, and my old XP install used it perfectly for two years, in OE or Xnews.
    Any help appreciated.
    Many thanks for stopping by :)

Nick

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    That sounds for all the world like buggy SW matey..

You're getting a STOP error and XP is rebooting as it can't do anything else i'd say..

If you've patched up XP, I'd try Uninstall / reinstall outlook as you're next step. Looks like a shared .dll somewhere is playing up.

Just out of interest, Is everything looking OK in device manager, particularly with regards to memory controllers in the 'system devices' section...??

Gotta go.. footy back on soon, be back later if not too ******...

3. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    F***ing Beckham - and as for Gerrard - what kind of backpass was that? Plonkers the pair of em :mad:

Anyhow back to your reply. What exactly should I check?

The whole re-install is from the Sony discs back to factory settings - all I did then was update it all at Windows Update cos I was worried about the software being pre Blaster virus etc etc and wanted to get myself protected against them.

Can it be OE when Xnews also crashes the same way?

Nick

4. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update
    Just spent a few mins looking around in the Event Viewer and there is an Error that says:

Faulting application msmsgs.exe, version 4.7.0.41, faulting module rtcdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1351, fault address 0x0002e1a6.

I think that this refers to a Microsoft app = could be OE perhaps?

Further back there's one mentioning svchost.exe - what's that??!!

Anyone? :lease:

Nick

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    svchost is the service executeable that manages windows system services..

rtcdll is a shared .dll which will be updated as part of OE install i'm faitly sure..

have you grabbed the latest version of OE from microsoft yet?
    That would be worth a try first off..

also, just to be totally sure, grab a copy of stinger.exe from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger and run it on your laptop, just in case anything nasty sneaked on while you were downloading you MS updates

( it's happened before )

6. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I think I've made some progress. I did some searching around and found that I had SP1 installed but not SP1a, which is advised in certain cases.
    I located the Windows Update again and found that I had installed everything from 1a except one Security Issue Update.
    Installed that one and it's been rock solid since. Course it could be a coincidence, but I left it donwloading several thousand rar file multiparts overnight, and it was still happy this morning.

Thanks for your help - I'm sure that if this suddenly fails, I'll be needing it again.

Cheers

Nick

7. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    'F***ing Beckham - and as for Gerrard - what kind of backpass was that? Plonkers the pair of em'

And I suppose Heskeys tackle/hack was ok then?