1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird trend: celebrities favourite artist

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by rhoamish, Sep 17, 2003.

1. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else noticed how many people namecheck Nick Drake when asked (on radio or TV) what music they like? It's normally your posher celebs, who don't have anything to do with the music industry.

Do the BBC prompt these people to mention him? The cynic in me sees it as the perfect choice to namecheck: he's relatively obscure, well-respected, and dead. No-ones going to criticise the choice, and it makes them look as if they're 'well-listened'.

I bought a Nick Drake album, and I thought it was OK. However, he certainy wouldn't be the first artist I'd mention if asked what I like.

2. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Nick Drake has been getting more and more recognition in the music press over the last 10 years (especially the last 3 or 4) thanks to artists like (e.g.) R.E.M., Suede (and especially) Paul Weller constantly name-checking him as influence.

It's only natural that people would go out and check one of his (btw, very nicely priced) albums on the basis of this. You say "he's relatively obscure, well-respected, and dead." -- well, I'd agree with the last two but I think anyone with an interest in music knows who he is, so to call him "obscure" is pushing it a bit.

I do get what you mean, though. Sometimes I think the same applies to Jeff & Tim Buckley.

Tim Hardin is another who I've noticed has had a few mentions in the press over the last year or two. Perhaps it'll be his turn next.

"Northern Sky" is magnificent, though.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Its easy going, likeable, Sunday morning music, so you can understand why people would be drawn to him. Singer songwriters have allways attracted attention, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Tim Buckley. Its common denominator music, I like them, but I like the extreme end of music also, most people dont have that much time for music and a pretty ballad is as extreme as they need.

Do they pick them because their slightly obscure and dead, probably, its almost an antique thing. You know, cant buy this type of quality these days, its from a better time a long time ago. Theres certainly loads of singer songwriters out there right now that are equaly as good , they will just have to wait until they are buried I suppose.

4. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who's Nick Drake? I've never heard of him. God, now I'm paranoid that I know nothing about music ;)

5. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nello! I hadn't heard of him about 12 months ago.

I quite liked the album I bought, but it wouldn't have bothered me if I hadn't heard it. Chewing gum for the ears...

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Nello and Rhoamish, pay attention at the back:lesson:

showing your lack of musical knowledge is an afront to this forum:mad: :laugh:

Now repeat after me A is for Amon Duul 2...........B is for.............
    and you will be tested later in the week!

7. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Doh! My point out the window then.... :laugh: He's not that obscure...there was a BBC3 documentary on him la.....er, BBC3, that's not the best argument is it ?

Go and download "Northern Sky" and take it from there (or not if you'd prefer)

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The current re-masters of his 3 Island albums sound excellent - a big improvement on their previous incarnations. Knocking about in sales at about £5.99.

For me it took a while to get past the "fey" voice, but once I did I was hooked - a lot more going on here than with his bedsit contemporaries.

Another album I've been meaning to check out for ages was John Martyn's "Solid Air" (also recently remastered by Island). Finally got it and it hasn't been off the player for weeks - superb.