1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird thing with Audio Authority component switch box

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by groove, Apr 3, 2005.

1. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Guys,

Well im 99% finished installing and cabling all my new gear , Panny PW7D , Yamaha 750 , Kef 5005's, 2 xbox's . PS2 , Gamecube , SOny DVD and SKy+ and ive connected the lot via component utilising 2 x Audio Authority 1154A's to the 2 component in's on the amp.
    All 4 consoles in 1 box, sky and dvd in the other.

I thought it was working perfectly , until a couple of times yesterday the picture briefly dissapeared in the screen whilst watching Sky.

Thought it was transmission problems at first but discovered last night what is really happening.

And this is weird.

1 in 5 times when somebody turns a light on the house, the AA box briefly senses a signal input on the digital coax in from the DVD player which is actually turned off. The AA box switches to that input due to its auto switching then realises there is nothing there and switches back to Sky !!

Now i just cant see how this is happening, I can fix it by disabling the auto detect on the coax audio in from the dvd player on the AA box but.....how on earth is switching a light on in the house giving the box a signal in the first place ??

My wife suddenly think its 'shorting out' and is all going to catch fire. nice.
    Despite my explanation of what is happening.

Any electrical guru's out there have any idea why this is hapening. Id like to understand before i try my solution.

Other things i was going to try are using a different coax lead or use optical instead.

Just the weirdest thing ive ever seen.

2. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :D That is odd.....

What is everything plugged into ? Plugs/Extension leads etc....

3. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Well , ive fixed it by turning the auto detect off on the AA box for the coax audio in from the dvd player.

The weird thing is with a digital coax lead plugged in the the AA box, just touching the other end with my fingers was enough to force a momentary signal detect on that input. These things must by hyper sensitive to electrical signals , even what little is in the human body is enough to trigger it.

So i disabled the auto detect on the audio and all is well. Still works fine as as soon as the dvd player comes on it detects the component video input and switches over anyway.

Maybe the americans have a more stable supply than us !

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe well worth sending AA an email (nope, i don't mean the Car breakdown recovery people or alcoholics Annoymous ;) ) and seeing if they can suggest any reason or check it out??

Gary

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If it's sensitive enough to respond to the microvolts in your finger, you can hardly blame the electricity supply, the variation when you turn a light on is more than that I'd think. Just a momentary dip in voltage? Unless of course you have a big static problem. Better stop wearing silk and nylon together....

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    You could try an extension with a surge protector built in to it, it may smooth out the voltage variations.

7. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Thanks for your suggestions guys , it is obviously very sensitive , but the beauty of these box's is you can turn auto detection off individually for every input , audio and video so by just turning off the detection on the coax in from dvd it works fine , as as soon as the dvd player is turned on it detects the video feed and switches over anyway doesnt need to detect audio as well from the same device.

Sorted and extremely happy with how its all set up and working now.

Must take some pictures for the Plamsa thread now.......

8. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    is there any noticable picture quality loss with one of these boxes? as i need like u about 4 components in

regards

9. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    None at all that I can see. Had Sky initially direct in to component 1 on my amp whilst i waited for the AA box to be delivered. Now its running through it and looks just as fantastic to me. Cant see any difference at all.
    And the 4 consoles look amazing via component.