1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird situation with a retailer

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JonP81, Jan 15, 2003.

1. JonP81

JonP81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

got a weird situation with a high street retailer. I ordered a Tosh 32ZD26P last wednesday, they delivered it on Sunday, there delivery guys quickly ran off.

I unpacked the stand first before even looking at the TV, the stand was smashed, looked like someone had taken a hammer to it.

I went upstairs to check the TV before phoning them to ask for a new stand, and noticed they had delivered the 36" TV (36zd26)

I phoned them them when they opened at 11:00 on the sunday, got the reply customer services will ring you back shortly.

phoned back 2 hours later, and got the same response.

I then phoned every hour and 30 mins, they promised that someone would ring me back the same day.

they didnt

The delivery depot then phoned me up at 17:45 on the sunday and said do you realise you have the wrong TV, i said yep, i noticed when i opened it.

they said they couldnt give it to the customer it was intended for because its been opened.

The same thing happened on monday, the manager will ring you back, at this point ive said i either want the price of the 32" TV reducing or ill come to some compromise on paying some extra and keeping the 36" just to get this sorted.

"they will ring you back" hmm this sounds familiar.

they never phoned back.

I phoned Tuesday, "The manager is on the phone atm, trying to sort your problem out he will ring you back"

I phoned back, "hes out to lunch atm ill get him to ring you"

i phoned back again, "its his day off". hmmm

We then phoned Head office, according to the records you have accepted the 36", ok fair enough, what about a stand.. i dont know ill get the store to phone you.

Store phoned me 20 mins later... We are delivering a 32" with a stand on friday", "im working friday. i wont be there, also what compensation are you sorting out, you dont return any calls, and godknows how much its costing me to phone you all the time and being on hold for 15 mins"

"ermm please hold" "The area manager is coming in tomorrow to sort it out with the manager they will contact you tomorrow (wednesday)

and guess what no one rang.

any ideas where i stand on this, if it was upto me i would just keep the 36" they can sod the stand ill get my own, but as it is im stuck with a 36" on the floor half boxed up, and not knowing what to do.

any idea's?

thanks in advance
    Jon

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Did you pay by credit / debit card ?
    Be careful they aren't charging you for a 36".
    I don't know what dealer it is, but unless it is Currys / Comet / Powerhouse or suchlike I would cancel the whole deal and keep copies of all paperwork.
    If it is a major chain, may be worth holding out for a brand new 32" with stand ( boxed ), unlikely you will receive any compensation though no harm in trying.
    Your experience doesn't bode well for sorting out future problems, buy it somewhere else !

3. JonP81

JonP81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the reply gringottsdirect, heres a bit more info..

Its part insurance job, £900ish of voucers so i had to have it from 1 or the ones you mentioned (am i ok to say the name?)

so i have the balance to pay in 1 year, which with extended warranty is about £400.

I have said to them ill keep the 36" (thought it was to big but im starting to like it)

And well come to some arrangment on the money difference, i said you had it in the sale when i ordered this 1 for £1400 as this 1 is also damaged (slight paint chip) (they have admitted that they cannot resell it as new.) would you come to some compromise.

I had a message saying no i would have to pay the full price (now £1800) that was off the service depot, who then said i would have to contact the store manager to find out how much (contradicting themselves)

they cannot add the extra to the 12 months interest free without me signing a new contract. (had this checked out)

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Am I correct in saying they are offering you a 36" with cosmetic damage @ £1800 inclusive of 5 year warranty ?
    Or is it a 32" with damaged stand @ £1400 inclusive of 5 year warranty ?
    To put things in perspective, setting aside your vouchers, you could buy the 36" from www.empire-direct.co.uk @ £1398 with one year guarantee, £209.99 extra for the 5 year guarantee, so £1608.
    The same warranty should be even less purchased directly from www.domgen.com
    Your finance agreement can be cancelled.
    Negotiate best price for your 36", use your vouchers, buy the warranty from elsewhere much cheaper, make out new 12 months interest free agreement for new balance.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The D & G warranty for the 36" is £171 or 12 x £14.25 by direct debit, when taken on-line.

6. Mr Chuffy

Mr Chuffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't it the case that according to trading standards if you get delivered something you didn't ask for then this is classed as a gift? I would check your rights, but for sure you are not gonna have to pay for a 36" tv if you did not agree to. They cannot do that.
    Check your rights with trading standards. Who knows....you may have got yourself a bargain!

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Providing it follows forum rules (see sticky at the top).

8. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On reflection I've decided to remove my post. Still got some legal stuff regarding it going on.

Sorry

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    By my reckoning.....

By agreeing (if you do) to keep a cosmetically damaged 36 incher (whjich can't be resold as new) rather than insisting on a swap for a new 32 incher, you are doing them a favour. I suggest you pitch it like this, insist on an undamaged stand, and call it quits.