1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird SCART spiltter prob

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by turbohat, Nov 9, 2004.

1. turbohat

turbohat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right, I am considering a DMR-E55 and asked opinions on the possibility of recording terrestrial but still watching sky.

One poster suggested using a scart splitter to split the sky output between the DMR input and the vacant scart on my TV.

I thought I'd try out the possibility. Now I don't have the DMR yet but I tested the set up. I have a splitter (not a switch) that I bought a while ago to connect my Dreamcast (remember those?) and my PS2 at the same time. I assume it's fully wired as it carries pure RGB and widescreen switching.

I connected it into the back of my sky box and connected a cable from one output into my sony 735 and the other end into my SCART2 on my TV (Sony FX28)

This is when the weirdness started........ :confused:

The signal into the non RGB scart (SCART2) was fine (albeit less sharp as expected). However the RGB signal was still sharp BUT.... had a strange colour cast (a very 'cool' tone - biased towards blue). If I unplugged the cable between SCART2 and the splitter the signal went back to the correct colour balance. i.e it wasn't the splitter that was to blame, but the connection between SCART2 and the splitter box.

Can anyone shed any light on what might've been casuing this????

Thanks

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Not sure why the Red (and possibly green) signals are the most affected, but it seems the TVs non-RGB scart is terminating or in some way pulling down the RGB video levels.

This sort of passive scart splitter relies on its two outputs going to reasonably high impedance inputs to avoid the signals being overloaded and hence reduced in level.

You could get away with using a scart lead to the TV which has had the RGB wires snipped, (preferably at the end furthest from the TV) but this is really a bodge. :)

Can you not just connect the Sky VCR output to the TV Ext2 ?
    The only snag I can see with this is it wouldn't give automatic widescreen switching.

3. turbohat

turbohat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for the comments.

At the moment my games consoles (Xbox, Cube & PS2) go via a scart switch (manual) into the scart-in of my skybox. It's an old Panasonic one and seems to do full RGB pass through.

Is there any 'decent' scart splitter available, which might help the prob?

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The only active scart distribution amplifer I know of is the SCAMP2

Unfortunately it costs £40 and I'm not sure whether it will pass the widescreen switching signal (pin 8) to both TV & E55.
    Maybe someone else can comment on this.