Weird question about LG Signature Series Remotes

Jona

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an LG OLED77G7V signature series TV, which many of you will know comes with two remote controls - the large 'magic' remote and the small 'slim' remote. When I first set the TV up both remotes worked perfectly and we had one up each end of the room so either could be picked up and used.

However, recently the slim remote 90% stopped working (the only feature that now works is power on/off). I tried changing batteries and (successfully) re-registering the remote with the TV, but it made no difference to its (lack of) functionality.

After having my remote looked at (and mangled) by an LG engineer, LG told me the reason for this problem is that it is only possible to have one remote paired with the TV at a time. This would seem perfectly reasonable if it wasn't for the fact that (1) it had worked just fine for two months using both remotes and (2) what is the point of having two remote controls in the box if you can only use one!

SO, my question to all of you avforums experts is... are LG correct in what they are saying - do I have to choose one remote out of the two and just stick with it? I just cannot find anything on the internet that tells me the answer one way or the other.

Many thanks!

Both remotes should work.
The “LG” engineer is telling porkies or hasn't a clue.
It sounds as though you have a faulty remote. You should get it replaced by the retailer providing you haven’t damaged it yourself.

Hi Jaycee,

Thanks for your confirmation of this. I thought that I was going mad when LG customer support told me that only one remote could be attached. I was very sceptical when she told me that, but I couldn't find definitive proof that she was making it up! Strangely, they only came up with this theory once they had opened up my remote and damaged the casing (see picture). I have sent a complaint to LG via email about the damage, so just waiting to hear what they are going to do about it. Thanks again.
Remote Control Before & After.jpg

My old 4k LG came with 2 remotes, a standard one and a magic jobby and both worked at the same time.

Nice telly btw :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Hixs - now I can be very sure that LG customer support gave me a dodgy answer! Yes - it is a great TV and I'm really pleased I got it, but it weighs an absolute ton - I have it on a piece of furniture which is only 12" off the floor, but it almost killed two grown men lifting it such a short distance! I can certainly see that the 'wallpaper' versions would be easier to install!

P.S. The TV's I had before this were a 50" KURO followed by a 49" Sony 4K LED TV (which I won in a competition). The smart features on the Sony were great, but the grey 'blacks' annoyed me every time. I was amazed that the rest of the family didn't seem bothered about them!

This is what I personally find unforgivable. An LG engineer/customer services etc should have 100% knowledge of the product they produce and sell and not just make it up or assume. All down to training I suppose which is all down to cost cutting and profit margin at the end of the day. I know LG are not the only ones mind, but we would all rather a situation be escalated to a higher level if said person doesn't know and to then ultimately, a tech guy/girl give gives such a comprehensive and definitive answer, it's as if they designed the remote controls themselves!

Yes, I totally agree with you Kezman. If LG had said they didn't know and would find out then that's fine, but giving out the wrong information so that I would only use one remote for the rest of the TV's lifetime is pretty bad!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom