Weird problem with router

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by gers1978, May 2, 2007.

1. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    For added security my router (Netgear DG834G) allows me to restrict which devices can access my wireless network, based on their MAC address.

When enabled, I can't connect to Xbox Live - on the test on the 360 it fails at "Wireless Network".

All my other devices are fine (2 XP PC's, 1 Vista PC, 1 PSP and 2 DS's). I've checked and double checked that I have my 360 wireless adapter's MAC address entered correctly.

When disabled, the 360 connects fine.

Anyone else suffer this?

2. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    If you turn it on you need to enter the xbox's mac address into the list, are 100% its the correct address, your not confusing zero's with the letter O?

3. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I'm 100000% sure it's the right MAC address, I checked it numerous times. And yes, I was using zeroes, not the letter O.

4. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Well.. its not something I've ever seen to be honest.

Follow the instructions on that link I sent you, as that shows you how to add the 360 via the router instead of manually putting it in, that way it can't fail.

Obviously you need to turn off the list first, then follow those instructions.

5. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Solved the problem, this is really bizarre - the MAC address printed on the back of the 360 Wireless Adapter IS NOT the MAC address that shows up in "Attached Devices" on my router's settings for the 360. They're completely different... why would that be?

6. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Nope, not solved.

Let's start at the beginning:

If I have nothing connected to my network, the router's "Attached Devices" page shows nothing. If I then connect to Live on the 360, and refresh my router's "Attached Devices" page, a device name UNKNOWN, MAC address starting 00:17.... shows up.

On the back of my 360 wireless adapter there's a bar code type number that looks like a MAC address starting 00:12...

Anyway, Live works fine.

If I then add the UNKNOWN 00:17... to my Allowed List on the router's page, and turn Access Control on, my 360 won't connect, always failing at step 2 of the 360's test, the "Wireless Network" step.

If I turn access control back off, 360 connects and works fine.

If I manually add the address from the back of the 360 adapter to my allowed list (as well as leaving the UNKNOWN 00:17 one on there) and turn Access Control back on, it fails at step 2 again.

All other devices (PSP, 2 DSs, 2 Wireless PCs) connect fine with Access Control on, when added to the allowed list.

This is driving me nuts. Is there any way for sure to know what my 360's MAC address is?

Thanks

7. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Even weirder - if I go to Edit Settings on the 360's Network page, then Advanced, it says the bottom "Wired MAC address" and then says 00:17...

If I click Wireless Settings then Advanced, it says "Wireless MAC address 00:17..." (i.e. exactly the same MAC address as it said for Wired)

8. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Ok, it seems to work now, I removed all traces of the 360 from my Access List, then re-added the 00:17 one.

Also with regards to the Wireless & Wired MAC addresses being the same, Microsoft's site says this:

"If you have the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, this MAC address will match your console's MAC address"

and this:

"Contrary to information stated in the Xbox Dashboard, the console's networking software does not make use of the MAC address assigned to the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter"

and this:

"If you use an Xbox Live Compatible wireless-to-Ethernet bridge instead of the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, each device will have a unique MAC address, so you must supply each one individually to your wireless access point, gateway, or router"

So it seems if you use the official 360 wireless adapter, the console will still utilise the internal wired MAC address for connecting.

9. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Correct, if you use the Official adapter, it just takes the wired mac address from your Xbox. Never go on any stickers, always use the dashboard to find out your mac address