1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Pioneer 656a problem - Can anyone help? (Long post)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cerebros, Apr 14, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a modded Pioneer 656a and I've got a problem that is on the annoying side. Sitting comfortably? Then I'll go into detail.

This problem appeared for the first time when playing an episode from the Angel season 1 (region 1) boxset, and I've never had the problem with any other disc in all the time I've had the player (since October if memory serves) - although I've not yet gone through and watched another similar box set.

On the second disc, while watching the fourth episode ("I will remember you") on that disc, the player suddenly stopped about 22 minutes into playing it. Puzzled, I pressed the play button on the remote, but instead of continuing where the playback had stopped, the first episode on the disc started playing. Stopping playback and going to the main menu then through to the menu for the fourth episode and selecting play, I got the same problem again, only later in the episode (this time around 32 minutes in).

My next step was to test the disc on my parents DVD player (a Wharfedale 750s), which I did by inserting the disc and going straight to the fourth episode screen from the main menu and selecting play. The episode played without problem.

I went back to my 656a upstairs and tried to play the episode again. The player stopped again, this time back around the 22 minute mark.

To be on the safe side, I decided to get a replacement boxset to see if there was some weird authoring problem. On receiving a new copy of the boxset, I started watching it again from the first episode (in case there were any unrelated problems (i.e. scratches or whatever)) and everything was fine and this time round, the episode that had given me trouble before played without a hitch.

Just as I was thinking the problem was behind me, I came to watch the fourth episode on the fifth disc ("Sanctuary" - by strange coincidence the episodes I've had this problem with have been the two in the box set guest-starring Sarah Michelle Gellar). As had happened with my first boxset, the player suddenly stopped playback around 22 minutes into the episode, and on pressing the play button, the first episode on that disc started playing.

As with the previous box set, going through the menus to play the fourth episode again led to the same problem occurring at around the 32 minute mark, and the disc played perfectly on my parents Wharfdale 750s.

Later on in the afternoon, having mulled the problem over in my mind for quite a while, on a whim I decided to try playing the episode again. This time it played through perfectly, without a problem.

What was different this time round? Well unlike the last time, when no other disc was played on my 656a in between attempts to get the episode to play properly, I'd used the player to play other discs (an SACD and CD).

Now does this sound like a hardware problem, or a disc problem?

If the DVD boxsets were to blame due to some authoring problem that is only afflicting Pioneer 656a's, would it not be reasonable to assume that the problem should have reoccurred on the same disc as before? Also, why does the problem seem to recur at the same time point (~ 22 minutes or ~32 minutes if the problem has occurred and the episode has been started again). Why does the episode play fine on another player?

I do have a theory which is probably a complete load of tosh (considering I know pretty much zip about the inner workings of DVD players) but here goes:

Like a lot (I'd say all but there's bound to be one that doesn't) of DVD players the 656a has a Resume function where if you press the Stop button and then later the Play button, even if the player has been in standby, it will resume playing the disc at the point where it was stopped. Now what if for some reason, some fault with my player or quirk of this particular boxsets authoring is causing the function that tracks the playing position to overload?

It might explain why the episode wouldn't play properly when the disc was taken out, tried on another player and put back in the 656a when the 656a hadn't played anything else in between times as the Resume function memory could have been preserved, possibly with some sort of disc identifier which meant that the player wasn't really "aware" that the disc had been taken out.
    This time round however, when two other discs have been played in-between attempts to get the episode to play, the resume memory has been properly cleared and so does not foul up playback of the episode.

Does my theory sound plausible? Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance

2. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Cerebros,

I had a multiregion 656 and the exact same thing happened to me twice. Both times on Region1. I got a refund on the 656 from Richer Sounds thinking it was faulty and got a 757 from Techtronics instead. The 757 has since done this once only.

I'm wondering if I've got some stray IR signals floating about but that doesn't hold water really as like you say, pressing play again doesn't resume, it starts from the beginning.

The only title I can remember that this happened on was Minority Report on the 656. Was too drunk to remember the others!

Anyone else seen this with their 656/757's?

Regards,

Ian.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,556
    i've had it on my sony 725, which a couple of titles.

I know the problem with my player though.....the laser is on its way out.

If the disc don't play, i have to recalibrate the laser in the service menu, and the disc will play. However, doing this just means another disc won't work, so i have to fanny about and run the laser calibration again!