Weird picture distortion on DVD playback under WMP

champ

Standard Member
I've just about finished building my new HTPC, and configuring Vista/Media Center, and I'm generally jolly pleased with it. All the TV, music, etc stuff is just dandy. But, as it's going to be replacing my DVD player too, I thought I'd better test a DVD on it.

When I did, I got the 'The region for your DVD does not match the DVD drive message'. A quick google showed that I needed to go into DVD drive hardware properties and set the region, which I did. After doing this, I expected everything to work, but I got the weirdest image distortion/pixelation thing that I can't describe, so here's a screen shot:
http://www.champ.org.uk/images/wmpbad.jpg

It does this for all bought DVDs played in Windows Media Player or Media Center.

When I play the DVD under VLC, it looks just fine
(http://www.champ.org.uk/images/vlcgood.jpg).

Interestingly, DVDs I've recorded myself (with no region set) also play fine under WMP.

This is such an odd problem that I don't even know how to google it! Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Neal

MikeK

Hard to say for sure, but it looks like the MPEG2 decoder WMP is using doesn't support CSS encrypted content.

Download DVDSHRINK or ANYDVD and rip the DVD to your hard drive, and then play it from there. If it works, then you have your answer, as the ripping process removes the CSS encryption.

champ

Standard Member
Hard to say for sure, but it looks like the MPEG2 decoder WMP is using doesn't support CSS encrypted content.

Download DVDSHRINK or ANYDVD and rip the DVD to your hard drive, and then play it from there. If it works, then you have your answer, as the ripping process removes the CSS encryption.

Thanks for the response, but if the test works, where does that leave me? I want to be able to play DVDs through Media Center!

Cheers

N

champ

Standard Member
Just to let anyone with a similar issue know - I got a fix from www.thegreenbutton.com, which was to uninstall the video drivers, and let Windows Update find some.

For reference, the machine uses a integrated video on the mobo, which is a Foxconn A7GMX, using the AMD 780 chipset,

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom