Weird Mementos You Keep

I've four 'time capsules' (big boxes) one each for daughter, son, grandson and granddaughter. Each box has newspapers from the day they were born/Radio Times and things like their last baby bottle, first pair of shoes, school reports, qualification papers/awards and whatever else I add from time to time as the fancy takes me.

They get them when I shake off my mortal coil.
That's a lovely idea.

If anyone does have photos in this day and age, I'd advise writing on the back of them who is in them and dates of when they were taken. My gran had loads of family photos but I don't know who half of the people in them are and there's no one left alive who would know. I've been trying to trace our family tree so that would have been really helpful.

When my daughter was young she broke her arm and she kept the plaster cast in her wardrobe for years afterwards.

Yes but when Mum wants to move house……..
I'm not being hugely serious.
It is ridiculous the rubbish we hold onto just in case it might be useful/for memories sake.
I have a flier for a nightclub with the cheeky girls autograph. Realistically it's worthless and rubbish, but...

I had a Mondeo and did over 200,000 miles in it. The bodywork gave up the ghost so it was scrapped. That was a sad day. I took the spare wheel out and put it in the garden and plant flowers in it.

When my daughter was young she broke her arm and she kept the plaster cast in her wardrobe for years afterwards.
Maybe she thought she would need it again (recycling) :D

Apparent it’s a thing to take a plaster cast of a pregnancy bump- would make for an unusual dried flower arrangement!

That's a lovely idea.

If anyone does have photos in this day and age, I'd advise writing on the back of them who is in them and dates of when they were taken. My gran had loads of family photos but I don't know who half of the people in them are and there's no one left alive who would know. I've been trying to trace our family tree so that would have been really helpful.
Got hundreds, they really need sorting. I’ll do it one day…….

I kept the slate door number from the first house my partner and I bought. Every bloody thing in that place was stupidly sentimental, everything meant something.

We used to visit the Lakes a lot, and it was a Lake District slate tile, so that’s what we kept.

I was thinking no, but then I remembered my kids mum kept all the kiddies baby teeth and obviously didn't take them with her so I guess I've still got them somewhere..
I'm not sentimental at all and never intended to keep anything but now I've sat here and thought about a load of things I have (first dog's collar, kids teeth and kids art work etc etc) I will keep it not because I'm sentimental and want to keep hold of it but because I don't think I could throw it out..
Is that the same thing?

Got hundreds, they really need sorting. I’ll do it one day…….
Don't delay!

I've spend the past several years interrogating distant relatives in order to get their help in identifying people from old family photos. It's been a genuine labour of love doing it all... but it's been invaluable to have that input from others in identifying people whose names I knew from my genealogy research. Picking individuals out of group family photos is a total nightmare - especially from eras when people often looked very much older than they truly were at the time the photos were taken.

My Nan had a table with a glass top that was full of things like kids teeth, staples and stitches from operations and bracelets from family members hospital visits and all sorts of nastiness. I personally thought it was disgusting.
When my nan passed there was actually an argument over that table!!! Craziness!!! Thinking about it, I don't even know who got it and I've no idea why they would want it..

A copy of keys for every house or flat I've ever lived in. My parent's I've always had a key for, and when I sold my first flat it was to my parents for them to let and I just kept a copy for myself with no intent to use. Then when I split from my first wife, as I was looking after the kids when she was at work, I had a set of keys there for obvious reasons. Since then it's just become habit.

As an asides, both the old keys and my day to day ones are on kubotan "keyrings", which means I'm regularly carrying a weapon completely legally*.

* - Kubotans with spikes or sharpened ends can be considered (and usually are) illegal to carry regardless of whether keys or not are attached.

A copy of keys for every house or flat I've ever lived in. My parent's I've always had a key for, and when I sold my first flat it was to my parents for them to let and I just kept a copy for myself with no intent to use. Then when I split from my first wife, as I was looking after the kids when she was at work, I had a set of keys there for obvious reasons. Since then it's just become habit.

As an asides, both the old keys and my day to day ones are on kubotan "keyrings", which means I'm regularly carrying a weapon completely legally*.

* - Kubotans with spikes or sharpened ends can be considered (and usually are) illegal to carry regardless of whether keys or not are attached.
My brother used to have a penknife on his keys (innocently I might add). I had to tell him to take it off as it's carrying a weapon.

My brother used to have a penknife on his keys (innocently I might add). I had to tell him to take it off as it's carrying a weapon.
It depends on the length of the blade (in excess of 3 inches) and/or whether you have a valid reason to possess it.

A red travel soap dish, l can remember buying it (and a few other bits and pieces) with my Mum in Woolworth’s to take on a School Cruise when l was 10 years old. That was 56 years ago.

That soap dish still goes in my toilet bag everywhere l Travel.

Leather key pouches I bought for my mom and dad in 1967 on a School trip to Belgium and Holland. They used them for well over forty years and they still have their final house keys attached.

My fathers WW2 pocket compass he forgot to hand in and two 1960's ham radios, a KW 2000B and KW Atlanta rigs, both still in full working order...and used from time to time.

One of my Grandmothers died recently and doing the houseclearing, I found four old newspapers from the early 50s.

I can't find a reason for why she kept them, I've looked through them, even the announcements but nothing jumped out

So, I'm keeping them, it seems a shame to throw them out having survived for 70 years.

When someone is doing my housecleaning (Hopefully in many decades time) they can puzzle over why I have these newspapers and then throw them out

Weird to discover all the little souvenirs I've brought her from school trips over the years, neatly stored away so I have them now

I love old newspapers/magazines not just for editorial content but also for the advertisements.

This inflation calculator is fun to play with when you have too much time on your hands when you compare prices back then to now. In real terms some things are cheaper today than say 1950 other things like house prices have grown exponentially.

A pair of wisdom teeth I had removed in (iirc) 2017. I can’t bring myself to discard. But they’re in no way good enough to display either. I had them removed in Los Angeles, then took them to Belgium and now they’re in Germany. I’m fairly sure I’ll take them with me to the next place we move to. Perhaps they’re good luck charms 🤔

A pair of wisdom teeth I had removed in (iirc) 2017. I can’t bring myself to discard. But they’re in no way good enough to display either. I had them removed in Los Angeles, then took them to Belgium and now they’re in Germany. I’m fairly sure I’ll take them with me to the next place we move to. Perhaps they’re good luck charms 🤔
My wisdom teeth didn't come out intact, so there was no point in keeping them. I only had them on one side - so only two anyway - but only one of them had erupted through the gum. The other one was still embedded in bone, so it was removed using a hammer and chisel.

I'm glad to say that I had a general anaesthetic for that. 🤭

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom