Weird keyboard issue - replace?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Crafty, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +706
    I have a Dell 15R laptop which is about 6 or so years old. Generally its fine but recently the keyboard randomly plays up - usually the top row of letters stops working, most of the time if I just keeping tapping the key I want it eventually works and then is perfectly fine. Sometimes its only half of that row.

Tonight the bottom line of letters are playing up - keys only maybe 25% of the time on first press, sometimes takes 10 presses to make it work, other times it works second press. Until ow its only ever been the top row.

USB keyboard works fine, on-screen keyboard works fine, various malware scanners find nothing (I'm thinking keyloggers etc)

I can get a replacement keyboard for about £15, it can't e much else other than failure of the keyboard itself can it ?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    It could be something like the keyboard connector on the motherboard so it's not guaranteed, but it's likely. If you're otherwise happy with the laptop then it's worth a go.

3. Darren Heal

Darren Heal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Try a little blast if compressed air from a can. It could be accumulated crud under the keys.

You could try vacuuming but you're just as likely to loose half the keys (don't ask how I know.

If the keyboard does need replacing you can find knock off and or genuine ones on Fleabay for not too much money and either replace it yourself or get your local repair Shoppe to do it for you.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    A lot of laptops use a compression connection for the keyboard. I've know these to get loose over time, or even just dirt work its way in. So it could be just a simple remove the connection and remake it to get a fully working keyboard.

Mark.

5. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +706
    Thanks guys, I will try reseating the connector