Weird issue (SOLVED I think) with Toshiba 43U6863DB 4k HDR TV

ukmark62

Standard Member
Never experienced this before. Suddenly when switching inputs on this TV (about 3.5 years old without any prior issues), I lost picture only for all freeview HD channels and a few SD channels. I was switching from the HDMI input for the Humax PVR back to the TV aerial input.

Sound was still present for all channels (including those without picture). Other SD channels were fine. Upstairs TV (same rooftop aerial as Toshiba, but HiSense TV) had no issues with any channels. My Humax PVR attached to the Toshiba TV via HDMI, was also able to play all channels perfectly (with aerial inserted at back of Humax unit - using aerial splitter from same rooftop aerial as Toshiba TV).

I "fixed" it by switching TV off and then unplugging from the wall for 1 minute. Plugged back in and all is now fine. Normally at night, I turn TV off with remote and then switch off the plug at the wall, which has a red/white on/off switch attached to the socket on the wall. AFAIK this should be the same as unplugging the TV power plug??

Anyhow, I could understand all channels having this problem, but I've never seen it where some channels did not have a picture but others did. It would appear not to be a transmitter issue as upstairs TV was fine.

Has anybody seen this before and does it suggest the TV is going to pack up soon??

Any help would be appreciated.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Seems the DVB-T2 H.264 video decoder got 'locked up'? = no picture (also affecting the SD channels using that same codec in the HD Mux).
Sound is a separate decoder HE-AAC so carried on OK.
DVB-T SD channels use MPEG2 video decoder so a separate device/path in the system.

Slightly odd, in that the HD H.264 decoder didn't get a a re-set when changing to a DVB-T mux and back... but a power reset did that job. (Likely a simple off to standby and back on might have done the same?).

Just a 'computer glitch' from a dodgy stream / interference pulse probably (mayhap even caused by the hdmi switcher in the set?). Only worry if it keeps happening very very regularly, or goes like that permanently.
Mind if you can, repeatedly, 'make it happen' by a user action... just stop doing that ;)

ukmark62

Standard Member
Seems the DVB-T2 H.264 video decoder got 'locked up'? = no picture (also affecting the SD channels using that same codec in the HD Mux).
Sound is a separate decoder HE-AAC so carried on OK.
DVB-T SD channels use MPEG2 video decoder so a separate device/path in the system.

Slightly odd, in that the HD H.264 decoder didn't get a a re-set when changing to a DVB-T mux and back... but a power reset did that job. (Likely a simple off to standby and back on might have done the same?).

Just a 'computer glitch' from a dodgy stream / interference pulse probably (mayhap even caused by the hdmi switcher in the set?). Only worry if it keeps happening very very regularly, or goes like that permanently.
Mind if you can, repeatedly, 'make it happen' by a user action... just stop doing that ;)
Thanks much for your reply.

That seems a very plausible explanation. Today, so far no issues. I'm leaning towards your thought that it was triggered by a dodgy stream/interference that could have been caused by the hdmi switcher.

I have experienced issues before where 2 adjacent hdmi ports (1 used for sound ARC and one for video) messed up the attached soundbar. This was also a Toshiba TV. However, that issue seemed more related to the soundbar as a different soundbar did not have any issues.

I'm more than happy if a power off/on cycle fixes it. As I said, first issue with this TV in over 3 years. Thanks again.

PS. Power off/on with remote did not work yesterday, I had to unplug the TV power.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Always power-cycle your TV which is unplug/switch off at the power socket, wait 10-15 mins then power on again.
On-off via the TV remote is just to standby then on.
It's the complete power off at the mains which clears residual charges.

Turnbullissimo

Novice Member
Im new. How do you post? FAQ says if you cant post youre not logged in. But iam. Which isnt very useful. Why isnt there a button that just says POST>

mikej

Im new. How do you post? FAQ says if you cant post youre not logged in. But iam. Which isnt very useful. Why isnt there a button that just says POST>
If you're logged in, you should see a purple 'Post Thread' box just to the right of the forum title banner at the top of the forum page.

If you've only just joined, maybe try logging out, leaving it for half an hour and logging back in again. There may be anti-spam measures that prevent immediate posting, perhaps ?

Turnbullissimo

Novice Member
If you're logged in, you should see a purple 'Post Thread' box just to the right of the forum title banner at the top of the forum page.

If you've only just joined, maybe try logging out, leaving it for half an hour and logging back in again. There may be anti-spam measures that prevent immediate posting, perhaps ?
Ok ill try that

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom